Anyone tried Mexican Tacos ?

Social Media

A sidenote for those in Rawai, Phuket, the Mex near the old gas station sometimes had crushed glass in the dip..  no appoligies and full price..  lucky dont have to pay extra....  nearly went to the hospital...  should be shut down...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Most tacos served outside of Mexico, don't resemble anything from in country.  Not saying they're any better or worse, depend who's making, but I wouldn't label them 'Mexican'.

And corn is the standard in Mexico, unless in a tourist area, then you'll find the 'Tex-Mex' version of tacos.

Tortillas are fine, but I make my taco-ish thingy with flatbread.  I like more substance to bite into.  Made some last week, with a pork tenderloin, damn tasty also.   Washed down with Mochitos ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

The kids handiwork from a couple of years ago. Both corn and flour, with pico de gallo. 

10258810_10152003171346266_3928943250827294489_o (1).jpg

10257025_10152003228156266_8974743166492674630_o (1).jpg

Looking good ????

I just stuck with the basics, pork, salsa, lettuce & spritz of lime juice.  More 'Mexican'  aside from the flat bread ????

Trying to cut back on the full on dairy additions; cheese, sour cream ????

That stuff ain't burning off like it use to, and too lazy to exercise any more than I do now ????

• Thanks 1

Wheat tortillas are eaten mostly in Northern Mexican and the USA, corn tortillas in the rest of Mexico.  Most wheat for tortillas is grown in the Sonora region of Mexico.  Map of Mexico: Wheat Production

If you want to make your own wheat or corn tortillas you will need a decent press, and for corn tortillas you need masa.  Red Mill Masa is available in some stores and on-line from Lazada.  A strong wooden, cast iron, or aluminum press is best (not plastic).  Lazada offers cast iron and aluminum, just search for "tortilla press".

For corn tortillas you absolutely need to get the right ratio of masa and water.  Rick Bayless has a great YouTube video on making corn tortillas - Your Guide to Easy Homemade Corn Tortilla | Rick Bayless Taco Manual.  The cooking temperature is first about 400°F (200°C) then the tortilla is flipped onto the grill at about 450° (230°C), cooked a second time, flipped once more and cooked a final time.  The cooking time is about 30 seconds each time but you have to find the time that works best with the dough you prepared.

After the corn tortilla puffs (hopefully) it is finished cooking and should be put into a tortilla warmer so that the steam will finish the cooking - Lazada sells some plastic ones but I found a nice ceramic casserole with a lid that is the right size, put a towel inside, and warm it up in an oven set to the lowest temperature before using it.  Lift the first one or two torillas on top and eat those just those below them.  Save the top two, cut them up, and fry them for tortilla soup:  Episode 1204: Teaching Tortilla Soup, Rick Bayless "Mexico: One Plate at a Time".

A rectangular electric griddle (if it can get hot enough), a heavy duty non-stick skillet (NOT thin non-stick aluminum), or a cast iron skillet or two (Meyers brand on Lazada is okay) can be used but I found a good enough low cost reversible cast iron griddle similar to this one on Lazada - Fityle Reversible Grill, Cast Iron Griddle.  It spans two burners on my stove so I can more or less control the temperature of each end.  I recommend using a non-contact LED thermometer to check the temperature such as           this one: Thermometer Cooking Temperature Gun-High Temperature Non Contact Pyrometer For Food Oven Industrial.

The thermometer is great for frying food too.  Use a good oil that has a smoke point above about 275-285°F (135-140°C) and fry at 265ºF (130°C) (Template:Smoke point of cooking oils).  Use a heavy skillet so the temperature doesn't drop much when you add the food and you will get crispy food, not a soggy greasy mess.  You can buy clarified butter or ghee on Lazada for higher temperature cooking to brown the outside of meats (maillard reaction) before finishing the cooking in an oven (How to Cook the Perfect Steak | Chef Jean-Pierre).  You can make either clarified butter or ghee.  Separate the solids from butter before they brown for clarified butter (Perfect Clarified Butter Everytime! | Chef Jean-Pierre) but let them brown for ghee (How to Make Ghee | Chef Jean-Pierre), which gives ghee a slight nutty flavor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

No they're not.

Mexicans have been eating corn tortillas

You are correct.  Just my old, addled brain automatically thinking flour for soft tortillas.  They are normally made with small soft corn tortillas.

The OP is:

Anyone tried Mexican Tacos ?

This is a Thailand based forum and discussing Mexican food from California, Nevada and Arizona is veering off-topic and can hijack the OP.  Please stay on Topic.

50 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

In Thailand I never yet  meet a Mexican  selling tacos.

"The menu was put together by executive chef Francisco “Paco” Ruano, a renowned culinary figure whose own establishment, Restaurante Alcalde in Guadalajara, was named one of the 50 best restaurants in Latin America."

Ojo

Tacos

3 week old review:

"We got the Taco Tuesday offer ( 3 tacos of your choice + 1 drink) for 690 THB. They also gave us this complimentary baby corn with cheese app which hit the spot too."

Taco Tuesday

Edited by KhunLA

On 7/3/2023 at 3:24 PM, earlinclaifornia said:

I go to Miguel's Mexican Restaurant in the Old City for dishes as good as any in California. Tacos both soft and crunchy are excellent.

Salsa Kitchen on Huay Kaew for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, rwill said:

Mexican tacos are made with small soft flour tortillas. 

Not, sorry but this is incorrect. Depends on what region. I’ve been all over Mexico and corn tortillas are wide spread and prevalent everywhere in the country especially central and north 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, novacova said:

Not, sorry but this is incorrect. Depends on what region. I’ve been all over Mexico and corn tortillas are wide spread and prevalent everywhere in the country especially central and north 

Yes that was my mistake as corrected in another earlier post in this thread.