NIDA poll shows that political conflict is still on the horizon as US envoy denies interference

webfact

image.jpeg

This week, American Ambassador to Thailand, Robert Godec, rejected claims by conservative activists that the United States had interfered or swayed the May 14th General Election. He said the US stood ready to support any new incoming government, whatever its political background. The envoy restated his country’s respect for the Thai Monarchy. He also firmly rejected any suggestion that Washington has its sights on an American military base in the kingdom. It comes as polls show that already there is opposition to the new government as nearly 49.16% of people are convinced Thailand will see more political conflict on the street while 29.06% fear another coup is likely.

The United States has become a target for conservatives who were roundly defeated in the May 14th General Election and who are expected to quickly lead a return to street protests and conflict after the formation of a new government in July. It appears that despite over nine years of military involvement in the kingdom’s government, the lines of division have only shifted away from populist policies and power plays. The country, today, is divided between democrats and conservatives as well as those who support the United States and China with the latter dividing line already being used by the right to swell its ranks for the next struggle to take to the streets.

The top American envoy to Thailand Robert Godec came out this week to assure the public that the United States respects the integrity of Thailand’s democratic process and was prepared to work with any incoming government no matter what its political allegiances may be. The statement comes as tensions are rising within conservative factions in the kingdom with the growing likelihood of a Move Forward Pheu Thai government coming to power this month.

The election of a new democratic government may be somewhat marred by a recent national poll which shows that opposition to any new government is already running at 29.54% with 49.16% of people feeling that a return to street conflict is on the cards and 29.16% believing that the kingdom faces the prospect of a future coup d’état.

by Joseph O' Connor

#news

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/07/02/poll-political-conflict-still-on-the-cards-us-ambassador-denies-interference/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-07-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He also firmly rejected any suggestion that Washington has its sights on an American military base in the kingdom.

Military land base is not required. The US has military bases all over the planet, known as naval ships submarines and high altitude bombers. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 29% were those who voted for the status quo and the 49% are those that will take to the streets if they don't get the government they voted for.  The remaining 20% will give the rioters food and shelter.  

• Like 1

If things go badly and there is another cooup, my question is, will the Thai Public be so accepting, or will there be major riots in the streets because they have had the scent of a proper democracy, instead of an autocracy, with the two leading parties possibly running the Country?

Sore losers. A bunch of old geezers who can't face the fact that they are past their 'best before' dates. They're more irrelevant than a peep-hole on a see-through, clear-glass door.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Another way to interpret the poll is that 70% of people are not opposed to the new government and do not feel that a new coup is likely, whilst over 50% do not think a return to street conflict is likely.

It depends whether your cup is half full or half empty and how you choose to spin a poll result.

And why.

5 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

Of course the US is meddling in Thai elections, they inject millions of dollars into their pet NGOs.  This is well known.  The ambassador is telling porkies.

Did it swing the election? Can't say.

If Thailand is concerned about foreign influence in their elections then they should give all the NGOs the boot, kick them out.

I would be very surprised if the US was not medling, I mean why are they not medling?, like what has changed that would suddenly stop them from medling?  Im just thinking of the norm here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, renaissanc said:

It looks like the senators are soon going to reject Pita because the MFP supports change to Section 112 while Pheu Thai doesn't. I don't think that Thais will accept this and I feel sure that there will be mass demonstrations. I think that they will start off slowly and then escalate and spread around the country. The senators will have to back down as the Military won't dare to intervene. That's my opinion.

with 112 at risk, the military will do what it's told to do. 112 is the final shield and that won't go away without sacrifice. the question I have is how much/many are they prepared to sacrifice? transitioning this particular kingdom into a full fledged democracy seems too much to ask, but it won't get any better than this as long as 112 is the rule of law. Pita is my hero for trying, but I can't help comparing him to JFK, as far as making big waves in the oldtimers' pool

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jcmj said:

I’m afraid that if the dinosaurs change the results of the election through any means they can, people will go to the streets and it will get messy. Then the military will come in and take control and another coup will happen. I hope it doesn’t go this far, but we all know Thai history and what happens in these situations. 

That's exactly what the minority (rich getting richer) group want. can't people see the pattern. Thaksin built homes the lowest earner could own, was corrupt, army takeover, His Daughter brought in a minimum salary for low paid workers was corrupt, army take power, the move forward party going to look into political corruption Is said to be corrupt, the army placed on stand by for any street protest that may happen. See the pattern????.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

it's the Thai mentality thinking they are the center of US plans, all the easier when we were caught more than once,  but it appears the numbers at the ballots reflect the public sentiment, showing this was a grassroots election, no need for the US to sway one way or the other on this one, thank gawd

I doubt the current POTUS - or his predecessor - could find Thailand on the map.

• Haha 1