Thai Mobile Banking Apps Crash On Payday, Transfers Put Off

webfact

2 hours ago, h90 said:

and even if the phone app is perfect...what is if your phone brakes, or has glitches if all your life is on the phone.

...you go to a branch.  Then get your phone fixed, it isn't the bank's fault if you've got a crappy phone.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Bank apps are normally reliable, what I find strange though is that bank apps all over the world had issues in a very short timespan.

I read in this, or the other related thread, a member posted that Australian apps were down Friday, and another post about a similar issue in the UK.

I had a friend in Europe trying to transfer money to my account within the same bank on Thursday, and it didn't work. The bank called him the next day that their app had issues, and no transfer could be made for almost a full day.

A coincidence?

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

I think there were more issues than they admit.

On Saturday at 10pm I cancelled a purchase which I had made on Lazada, and had paid with my Kbank debit card just an hour earlier.

The refund was instantly, with I'm getting the sound notification from my kbank app that a deposit arrived, and Lazada confirming in their app, and by email, that the refund was completed.

Only to find that the refund was not in my account, and still isn't.

Welcome to Lazada. 

3 minutes ago, Venom said:

Welcome to Lazada. 

The problem is not with Lazada, and you should have known that if you had read my post.

The refund was instantly, with I'm getting the sound notification from my kbank app that a deposit arrived, and Lazada confirming in their app, and by email, that the refund was completed.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

THERE were loud complaints today (July 1) after mobile banking apps and online service of several Thai banks crashed with customers told that cash transfers made from 2 p.m onwards will reach the destination by 7 p.m. tomorrow, Matichon newspaper said.

A lot of people were affected by the outage with today being payday and many complained about the banking problem on various social media platforms.

Yep, I had a problem paying for a lazada delivery, van driver wasn't surprised, said many deliveries were having the same problem.

Bangkok Bank was the culprit (as usual), TTB (my other account) had no problems.

Went to Bangkok Bank at Airport Plaza in CNX at 1200 to withdraw cash with my US Bank Debit and the process was really slow.  I got concerned and asked a Bank employee to look at the atm.  Just as she arrived the transaction started.  I got the money out but getting the card back took a lot longer than usual.   

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Reduce the number of bank branches

Radically reduce the number of ATMs

Eliminate online SCB Easy Net banking

Funnel everyone into a glitchy, unsecure phone app.

So is Bangkok Bank continuing to offer internet banking? Now I'm using SCB, but have not received the termination notice yet.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...you go to a branch.  Then get your phone fixed, it isn't the bank's fault if you've got a crappy phone.

walk to a branch and hope you can walk the 30km and don't get hungry between....because you can't pay a taxi or gasoline

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

Like old ladies in Sainsburys. Get the purse out from bottom of shopping bag when cashier tells them the amount.

Been there and seen that. It also B frustrating as they count out the cash one note at a time and then the odd coins. I really do miss that????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

That is bad enough, but worse is what the government can do....track people who go to demonstrations. Check what business owner donated to the opposition. Just switch you off and than even if you win every lawsuit you are meanwhile destroyed.

And your drug, alcohol consumption and insurance....Or in German topic: The people should not eat meat....you can limit these purchases

True.

We have also determined with our systems the health index of the individual customers via their shopping baskets. Such data records are worth tens of millions. Insurance companies are very keen to get their hands on such consumer records with real names. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Bank of Ayudhya still have safe, workable on line banking. (For now.)

I have never trusted apps on phones.

me neither. I had an an account at BOA, solely for the processing of donations from abroad, to help with tsunami relief. but I closed it after my co-trustee died. thanks for the tip.  I have heard the same  horror story, with attempting to open an account with the Bangkok Bank. They ask you to bring the village headman with you. some friends tried to do that, but he was a drunkard. he wanted 2000 baht and a bottle of whiskey. which they gave him. he then crashed his pickup, on the way to the bank, while driving drunk. Once he asked them to pay for his accident. they quit that idea and  they  applied to a different bank. you couldn't make this up.

4 hours ago, kingoak said:

This is all due to preparation for the introduction of the CBDC. Imagine what it is going to be like when that is in place, the internet is down the power down, terminals down etc etc . Keep cash for emergencies as long as you can!!

and pay with cash whenever it is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand a cashless society.... pipe-dream

Same things happened and happen when there's a big demand for cash and ATMs run out of cash. Last week I had to try 3 locations to find cash, this morning the machine ran out of 100's and 500's and all I could withdraw was on thousands.

Better go back to the old system of barter.

9 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

We could not pay a restaurant bill from either my or my wife’s Bangkok Bank account.

Luckily her SCB app worked and she treated me! 
After 3 weeks in the U.K. using contactless payments, and carrying no cash at all, brought down to earth on my return to the shaky systems here.

Every transaction you make by card or phone app is logged, registered and vetted. They know what you ate and how much you paid and it can be cancelled at anytime without you knowing. Always carry paper money especially in a foreign country. Someone used online banking (which I don't have) to take money out of my account, Luckly can only take 20,000 a day, I called into the bank. They told me where, when, how much and a name of the person who had used my details. Apparently you only need an account number, account name. and address of bank to make online transfers. Needless to say I told them I NEVER do online banking, but they now need a code that only I know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me, given the combination of…

a) the dynamics of how retail banking works in this country and some of oddities (ie some corporations require their staff to bank with X bank because their employer banks with X as well) .. and

b) the rather limited options of retail banks (again, there’s really only 12 +/- to choose from nationwide against an adult population of around 55MM) .. and

c) a regulatory system that has limited real world consumer protection enforcement entity to hold banks to account for service issues and routinely does so

leads me to a realization that entities like BBL have near zero motivation to really invest in their IT to better ensure failures like this don’t occur.. there’s simply no or little downside for them to do so.. and risk that they’ll suffer the wrath of a regulator is equally distant .. and finally their consumer base - while perhaps vocal about it, the overwhelming percent will, at the end of the day, stay put.. so the bank need only wait it out.

4 hours ago, h90 said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

walk to a branch and hope you can walk the 30km and don't get hungry between....because you can't pay a taxi or gasoline

The petrol can be bought with a debit card or the taxi could be paid with a withdrawal from any ATM or with cash withdrawn from the bank counter/ATM on arrival...unless you're one of those who has to pay in advance for taxis.

Did you choose to live 30km from a bank or did someone force that on you?

• Sad 1