Why you should never leave a negative hotel review in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Well you and your acolytes on here certainly appear to hold Thai people in sneeringly patronising contempt with a "Me Mr High & Mighty Ultra-Perfect Westerner" attitude, don't you? Maybe you all need to give serious consideration to relocating from Thailand if you really do despise the locals so much - perhaps after penning scathing reviews of various Thai establishments as your respective swansongs?

where did i say i despise thai ?  we are talking about the anti defamation laws. 

if what i say is so bad and so untrue why is there a law like the one we are talking about ? there would be no law if what i said is not true. what you fail to understand is just how complex this issue really is. i'd rather not be a condensing teacher at this point as i haven't had a bong yet. 

classic..... if you don't like it.. leave comment.

clueless with your rose color glasses on.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, stoner said:

you think i want to save thai  ? hahaha best line ever. 

That's the third time you have completely misunderstood. Of course I didn't mean Thais. Most posters like you spend most of their time ridiculing Thais on this board. It is any wonder why you don't just move back to the utopian west. 

where did i say i despise thai ?

It seeths from you

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

It is any wonder why you don't just move back to the utopian west. 

ahh the good ol if you don't like it leave comment.

3 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Most posters like you spend most of their time ridiculing Thais on this board.

i ridicule things that need it. are you defending thai anti defamation laws ? or the mentality that made it possible ?  

7 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

That's the third time you have completely misunderstood. Of course I didn't mean Thais. Most posters like you spend most of their time ridiculing Thais on this board. It is any wonder why you don't just move back to the utopian west. 

It seeths from you

ps......im also willing to ridicule my own country and the dumb stuff that happens there too. 

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

ahh the good ol if you don't like it leave comment.

i ridicule things that need it. are you defending thai anti defamation laws ? or the mentality that made it possible ?  

Do you think there is no libel laws in the west or something ? You can just fly off the handle on anyone and its a-ok ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Harsh Jones said:

Do you think there is no libel laws in the west or something ? You can just fly off the handle on anyone and its a-ok ?

apples and oranges. the laws are not the same at all and you know it. 

i can post a bad review for holiday inn at toronto airport and not have to worry about being sued. 

here you cannot. 

Thais see airing vindictive criticisms out in the open as just ill mannered and bad form. It is different from the west but I have zero problem with it. But some westerners seem to think that this view is just scandalous. How dare we not have our hissy fits! 

• Haha 1

We talked about this last night, in our years or travel here in Thailand and Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia there hasn't been a hotel/resort we wouldn't stay at again. Several we have re-visited, and recommended to friends.

One beach resort we've stayed at numerous times since 2011, lovely location, owners and rooms - just looked at their reviews and a recent '2-star complaint' was that the swimming pool should have been bigger. 

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

We talked about this last night, in our years or travel here in Thailand and Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia there hasn't been a hotel/resort we wouldn't stay at again. Several we have re-visited, and recommended to friends.

One beach resort we've stayed at numerous times since 2011, lovely location, owners and rooms - just looked at their reviews and the most recent '2-star complaint' was that the swimming pool should have been bigger. 

They want a refund because it's raining, Not my fault you booked in the monsoon season, 

• Thumbs Up 1

All the review sites, as TripAdvisor, Google, etc...

should block Thailand so people cannot see anything anymore.

Less publicity is less customers... maybe their eyes will be open than.

11 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

absolutely ridiculous

i would create a dummy account with no links to trace back and go for it slam the hell out of the establishment

Yeah I was kept being asked by Google to comment on places I had been and mostly just gave the place a star rating, even that brought trouble. 

So switch off what ever it was on my phone a  location thing I think.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, rupa said:

All the review sites, as TripAdvisor, Google, etc...

should block Thailand so people cannot see anything anymore.

Less publicity is less customers... maybe their eyes will be open than.

Thats nasty there are many good people here, 

57 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I was kept being asked by Google to comment on places I had been and mostly just gave the place a star rating, even that brought trouble. 

So switch off what ever it was on my phone a  location thing I think.

On google you can switch it off, once a month it tells me places that I have visited I'll have to look next time i think it says go into preferences to switch it off, 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, KhunLA said:

I have, and simply need to word it correctly.

You could even make it comical ... with praise.

... thank you for not supplying toiletries, as we travel with our own.

... thank you not changing the soiled sheets/bed covering, as we travel with a top sheet.

... thank you not providing water to drink.

... so glad your restaurant had very small portions, as my spouse is overweight.

... thank you for not providing a lift.

... as all these keep your overhead low, and we didn't mind paying just a bit more than the other hotel that do provide those extras, as we only like walking up the 5 floors of steps, instead of using the elevator, for needed exercise.

very good ,

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

On google you can switch it off, once a month it tells me places that I have visited I'll have to look next time i think it says go into preferences to switch it off, 

Thanks I have switched it off don't comment or star rate anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

One beach resort we've stayed at numerous times since 2011, lovely location, owners and rooms - just looked at their reviews and a recent '2-star complaint' was that the swimming pool should have been bigger. 

Myself also. I imagine that's because you.do your research unlike most people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Polaky said:

Plenty of people leave factual negative reviews to assist their fellow travellers and nothing ever comes of it, without these reviews we would be staying in absolute horrible hotels, so we owe them a great deal of thanks.

I am currently staying at the Asia Airport Hotel near Don Meuang airport for 4 days to be near Thai friends and have 5 other bookings in the north and elsewhere in Bangkok in the north and elsewhere in Bangkok. This hotel didn't get many great reviews on booking.com, but I really appreciated the variety of information and opinions in them, enabling me to decide whether I would be likely to be satisfied with the hotel, which in this case I am. I will leave this place a decent review when I leave. I think reviews are really valuable tools, particularly verified ones rather than those that anyone can do on TA etc. It's important to consider the impact of a review on a hotel etc, particularly if your opinion is vastly different from others. 

On 7/6/2023 at 10:49 AM, WHansen said:

My fault I know, but how weird is it to give top marks when you're  not happy.

Farang English teacher in Thailand: “Hey, that’s my line!” 

On 7/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, stoner said:

when you are as thin skinned as thai are you need ridiculous laws like this to protect your fragile ego. 

losers. 

Bingo.

Money is the most important thing in the world to Thais, but “face” is a very close second.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

We've all been there. Whether it was a rude receptionist, an infestation of bedbugs or the stingy ratio of gin to tonic, sometimes, you've just got to vent.

Not to settle some petty score, no. As part of a noble cause to let the Internet know, so future travellers can choose a little better. 

In case you hadn't already guessed, I'm talking about hotel reviews. From contributing to Google Maps' reviews and ratings to leaving a scorching missive on Tripadvisor, there are many ways you can leave feedback for your host. Before you let your righteous indignation splurge all over your keyboard though, consider this: in some places, leaving a negative review can get you in trouble.

Enter: this controversial Reddit thread. In the thread, posted on Monday, a Reddit user made the claim "Thailand not allowing Bad reviews..." instantly sparking discussion among Reddit's r/travel community. 

Reviews are a great way to help other travellers out. But in some places, you might be better off staying quiet, as there could be serious consequences.

by James Booth

#news

Full story: https://www.escape.com.au/travel-advice/why-you-should-never-leave-a-negative-hotel-review-in-thailand/news-story/c3e4e20af7d200dd54fdc16dec24e5be

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Escape 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I think if hotels want to appear on platforms like Agoda, Booking .com and Hotels .com to name a few they should accept that reviews good or bad may be posted. Before they list their hotels, they should be made aware and agree as part of the terms and conditions to accept that reviews good or bad will be left. If they do not agree to the terms, then they should not be allowed to list their property. This would protect the person leaving the review. Of course if they can prove that the review was malicious and false then and only then should they be able to take the reviewer to court.

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I always make sure I reply back to any revenge reviews as for smoking in the rooms I tell them when they arrive and point them to a smoking area, 

If you are talking about Airbnb guest you can appeal to have that review removed, 

I also remind guest about the law sometimes "Smoke Free Building" it's worked so far 

I do too but the 1* review remains (on Google).

We've applied and gotten a hotel license so the fact that you can't smoke is clearly displayed pretty much everywhere (otherwise you won't get the license) but we have blokes that proclaim they were allowed to smoke in their room because they had a belly ache (!). Manchildren.