Giant Centipedes

Kevin1908

The cat caught this one and the wife was going berserk bashing it with a broom handle only half killing it. I finished it off with an iron mallet. I gather all centipedes should be avoided. Just wondered how the cat avoided getting bitten?

20230705_213227.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

The cat caught this one and the wife was going berserk bashing it with a broom handle only half killing it. I finished it off with an iron mallet. I gather all centipedes should be avoided. Just wondered how the cat avoided getting bitten?

Because it never used a broom handle or an iron mallet, just its instincts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

Show this to your wife, she'll say we're all nuts.

Respect.  Big difference if its in the wild as apposed to being handled. Obviously they can be kept and eventually handled.  In the wild?  They are aggressive. 

• Like 2

Trust me when I tell you that you do so not want to get bitten by any of the Scolopendra species! The pain is excruciatingly devastating and lasts forever and there's nothing you can do about it other than riding it out! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was staying at a resort once that had some stone walls.

One day hundreds of small brown centipedes (4-5 cm) started coming out of a gap in the wall.

The gardener told me they were poisonous and not to touch as they bite.

My GF was panicking and told me to kill them with spray...So I got the spray and started dispatching them.

Next thing a Giant Black MF about 15cm long came out of the same hole in the wall, reared up and started chasing me and it was fast......I assume this was the Mother!

Luckily the gardener was still there and killed it with a spade, but he had to hit it about 5 times before it died.....

It looked like this!

image.jpeg.b46d9145a4a547c758e0a9e5361c0fca.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely be careful of these things. They bite - big time.

I trod on one by accident a few years back. (It was at night.)

The front of my foot covered half of it (It was about 7 inches long) but the front half of the beastie rolled back and bit me.

Not poisonous but the infection......????

The next morning, I could see the infection in my leg - heading north and VERY painful.

I was on strong antibiotics for 10 days.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

I was sitting at my computer desk one day and something was tickling my bare foot.  At first I thought it was a dangling cord and shook my foot a little but I kept feeling it.  After a couple of times of moving my foot to stop it I looked down and there was a fairly large centipede on my foot.  Then I shook it real hard and it finally flew off.  I don't know how I didn't get bit by it.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Cats are quick and natural born killers. Even (most) domestic cats are instinctive predators. Some are just plain sloths, but most still have those hunting instincts. 

in the wild cats have to kill to survive......hence a domestic pussy does same same !!!!

• Like 1

We have 20 cats, most live outdoors during the day. 3 live indoors. Mice and centipedes have read the memo that coming here is bad for their health, so we rarely see them. When one does it doesn't last long. In contrast, the millipedes walk about all day, but they are accepted by all the cats and the two humans here. The house lizards don't seem to be able to read English though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

I once lifted an outside mat only to have a monster 8 inch black mother hanging off my finger = A+E two injections one in each ass cheek and I can confirm its not a pleasant experience ????

You might like to get a cat. Nothing can live around you when there's a cat.

• Sad 1

We have those native chocolate brown ground birds around (they make a loud hooting that sounds like monkeys). They have learned to follow me around when I mow the grass. There favourite food seems to be centipedes and they always leap on any trying to escape the mower.

I confirm the painful bite which seems to last nearly a day. The second time I was stung was the worst because I knew from experience that I was in for a sleepless night, endlessly twisting and grimacing in pain for the next 12 hours or so.

"The little bitters are hard to kill." the wife had pinned it to the ground with a broom handle. I was hitting the damn thing but it was wriggling all over the place. I had just bought an iron mallet so got the wife to give to me and I was hitting what I thought was the head but was its tail and it was still all over the place. Two hits in the right place finished it off.

The cat actually caught this thing. I guess as it is long haired that saved it from getting bitten

We have 3 stripey lizards which live under some decking, not sure what species but they're about 20cm in length, not scared of humans unless you get too close.

Out by the water pump one day heard some rustling under a bush and one of them had caught a large centipede, not a huge one but I suspect big enough to have delivered a nasty bite.

I watched as it ate the whole thing, made me heave a bit watching all those legs go down its throat.

They do quite large dropping which can be messy, but I hope they stay around because we have hardly any nasties I guess they just eat them all.

• Thumbs Up 1

They don't actually bite, but pinch, and my friend and school owner found that out recently when one pinched his hand. It blew up twice the size, when he was on the road, and had to stop in a hospital and stay overnight for a course of antibiotics. Took three days to get the swelling down. When I lived at my ex's mom's house, before our house was built, one over 10 inches long walked over my arm while we were in bed. My ex woke to my yelling, and we both pinned it down. I give her credit, she took it out fast. I fed it to the chickens in the morning. Earlier , I was stung by my first scorpion, a huge one a half a foot long. It made my lips numb, and I was at first worried, until I remembered this was a symptom and it's almost like a wasp sting, as long as you aren't allergic. Pain went away 30 minutes after I applied Afterbite. One reason I hate living here is the bugs, which make Texas' look harmless.

5 hours ago, rwill said:

I was sitting at my computer desk one day and something was tickling my bare foot.  At first I thought it was a dangling cord and shook my foot a little but I kept feeling it.  After a couple of times of moving my foot to stop it I looked down and there was a fairly large centipede on my foot.  Then I shook it real hard and it finally flew off.  I don't know how I didn't get bit by it.

I got stung by a wasp like that - looked down too late, shook my foot instead like you ????

Thank the gods never been bitten by a Thai centipede. Have by and eastern Australian common garden one and they hurt like hell!

Cats have super fast reflexes, far greater than a spider or centipede. I saw something (on Instagram I think?) the other day of a snake striking at a cat and the cat simply jumped to the side and swiped it about 4 times before the snake even knew where the cat went.

• Like 1

There are lots of videos on Youtube of snakes mistakenly taking on a cat. It is not the cat that comes out of it worse off.

"snake striking at a cat and the cat simply jumped to the side" they do that if you put a cumcumber next to them while they are eating. So funny to watch. Next to a cat that is not a snake.

• Haha 1

When living in bangkok we had some vacant land next door that some of the neighbours used to garden in.  Often times these big centipedes would be flushed out, especially after rain.  A couple of the ladies used to bbq them saying they tasted just like goong!