Teenage girl wants motorcycle

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not just the police extorting money,

no license= no insurance, and in the case of an accident huge hospital bills to pay for all those involved, dead, injured, damage to property, could amount to millions of baht.

Absolutely correct but the possession of a license does not indicate the possession of insurance either, it merely indicates the potential to buy it. should they wish to do so. and the payout limits of the PorRa Bor insurance are very low, it is basically worthless, 

10 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks - and I agree [though not as forcefully] - the issue has been settled - extra money for Grab... and she is quite ok with it... 

BOLT is cheaper than grab

Have her take the driver course at KW driving school on the somphot- cm 700 road in the padeat area. If she’s not wanting to do that then be she should at the minimum wear a helmet. Stopped without a license I think it’s a minor infraction. Heavy police presence check points every day the last couple of weeks around the usual places looking for unlicensed, no helmet and tax stickers 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, eisfeld said:

1. No license no motorbike.

2. No helmet no motorbike.

3. No training no motorbike.

4. Everything in order? Have fun with your new motorbike.

Where do you get motorcycle training in Thailand. Serious question.

When my son was 18 he said he wanted to buy a motorcycle. It was fine with me (of course I had safety concerns but he was old enough to make his own decisions so who was I to say no) but my requirement was that he take a training course at Honda in Samutprakarn and get a license. He did and I joined him on the course, as I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in about 25 years at that time and was contemplating getting one. I ended up buying one 10 years later and use it all the time.  

Now I am upcountry, I understand why so many kids ride scooters/waves. They really don't have much option if they want to go to school. However, kids will be kids and I see them riding while playing on their phones all the time. The school also needs to enforce the wearing of helmets though. Probably less than 10 percent are at the moment since the local school stopped policing this.   

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Not just the police extorting money,

no license= no insurance, and in the case of an accident huge hospital bills to pay for all those involved, dead, injured, damage to property, could amount to millions of baht.

Not much to pay if dead.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

This is Thailand, the reality is a little different, how many parents have been prosecuted for allowing their kids to ride motorcycles, ?  

Not many mainly because there poor and have the  bike withheld by the police.

If a kid take a bike without the parents knowing if it's taxed it's insured as well so police can only find for no DL.

37 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

They have a rider training school in little soi parallel to Sukhumvit Road south side of Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

Edited by Cricky

On 7/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, eisfeld said:

1. No license no motorbike.

2. No helmet no motorbike.

3. No training no motorbike.

4. Everything in order? Have fun with your new motorbike.

No licence, no insurance cover if you have an accident. The insurance company will refuse to pay out. Get licence and buy first class insurance if a new bike.

I would also add no driving after dark. At least for a while until she has gained some road experience.

Edited by phetphet

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Absolutely correct but the possession of a license does not indicate the possession of insurance either, it merely indicates the potential to buy it. should they wish to do so. and the payout limits of the PorRa Bor insurance are very low, it is basically worthless, 

Low maybe, But not worthless, to a poor Thai.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Now I am upcountry, I understand why so many kids ride scooters/waves. They really don't have much option if they want to go to school.

When I was a kid I walked to school, something like 10 kilometers a day round trip. Sounds a lot but actually it's not.

Stop making excuses for parents sending children out on motorcycles, unlicensed and no helmet. There is none. It's just stupidity being passed down to the next generation.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

55 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

When I was a kid I walked to school, something like 10 kilometers a day round trip. Sounds a lot but actually it's not.

Stop making excuses for parents sending children out on motorcycles, unlicensed and no helmet. There is none. It's just stupidity being passed down to the next generation.

When I was a child, I had to walk across the Pennines to get to school, and hunt my lunch on the way. Used to communicate by smoke signal but had to bang rocks together to start a fire. Times change but some people don't.  

• Haha 2

Just now, brianthainess said:

Like the dead actress ? all victims/families will want to be paid out. What if the driver lives. ? 

If poor not a lot, the rich are usually covered by insurance or rich enough to pay off.

Depends on the circumstances.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, the issue is past, but you are not old school in my book. 

Do you have children? Do you give them nothing? That sounds kind of mean... 

Yes I have two children and believe it kinder to teach them the benefits of learning to live within their means rather than buy them things for nothing. Is that old school?

56 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hope the OP has loads of money then

Well that's why members here are are insisting on a good motorbike 1st class insurance cover. 

The thing is I was told I had free 1st class on my crf250l when I bought it new but when looked a the cover it was nowhere near as comprehensive as my 1st class truck cover.

DL is very easy to take, probably a week, just join one of those private companies that teach her and when she is ready they will test her directly probably in the same day, I paid 1000 baht for this service and it worked great.

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Honda has motorcycle schools. For a newbie they have the basics theory etc. Then after getting the license I"d recommend doing the more advanced courses at the Safety Riding Park. There are other professional schools available as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Honda has motorcycle schools. For a newbie they have the basics theory etc. Then after getting the license I"d recommend doing the more advanced courses at the Safety Riding Park. There are other professional schools available as well.

I reckon if you live in a city find a motorcycle taxi driver who has been working the longest and pay him to teach you how to ride and stay alive in Thailand cities.????

1 hour ago, indyo said:

DL is very easy to take, probably a week, just join one of those private companies that teach her and when she is ready they will test her directly probably in the same day, I paid 1000 baht for this service and it worked great.

Isn't this procedure just what gets people killed or injured? I doubt that they teach road awareness, rules of the road and adhering to them. Tell me I'm wrong. It might enable a person get a license. But a license doesn't mean you are a proficient rider.