Outgoing Thai PM found guilty of neglect of duty over PM2.5 pollution

snoop1130

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Odd... and typically poor Thai news reporting....

Nowhere in the OP article does it mention what party or parties brought the air pollution legal case against the various government figures....

The court didn't just make the finding on its own. Some party had to file the allegations against Prayut and the others to raise the issues in court...

Unfortunately, we're not going to find out from Thai PBS just who finally did that public service as the guy and his cronies are (presumably) headed out the door.

sounds like the court's version of pointing in the RTP picture

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He has created a get out of jail free and immunity clause.  He's like the gingerbread man....can't catch me.....

He's aiming for the Privy Council where if he makes it all his past transgressions will be wiped clean.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Chiang Mai Administrative Court ruled against the prime minister and the National Environmental Board today (Monday), for neglecting their duty to deal with the annual dense smog in Chiang Mai.

So you made a ruling...

What's the sentence? Is he hiding at his Mom's house yet?

Met Prayut once to ask (together with many others) for him to take action on waste management. He got upset and declared, “Don’t you know, I’ve got a country to build!”

1 hour ago, MikeandDow said:

So he has been found guilty now what!!!!       NOTHING  thai people and the courts are apathetic

they burned trash (trash from the trash collectors....big amounts) here in Bangkok....it was always snowing ash and strong burning smell (and I am not sensitive to it....). Someone tried to stop it....no police didn't want to do it, people just didn't care that you can't go outside. Slightly off topic....when I go running in the morning I often see people cleaning their house early morning and thro the trashbag into the river in front of the house....

It is hard to stop it, if no one care.

11 minutes ago, h90 said:

they burned trash (trash from the trash collectors....big amounts) here in Bangkok....it was always snowing ash and strong burning smell (and I am not sensitive to it....). Someone tried to stop it....no police didn't want to do it, people just didn't care that you can't go outside. Slightly off topic....when I go running in the morning I often see people cleaning their house early morning and thro the trashbag into the river in front of the house....

It is hard to stop it, if no one care.

Wow budding environmentalist now given up on a politial activist !!!  this post sounds like doomsday which it is not !! there are plenty of people who care, Thailand CAN for example, smog occurs seasonally from roughly December through April, I must admit Thailand still does not have explicit laws aimed at tackling the pollution. Smog and air pollution are not only domestic issues but transnational problems. Crops burned in neighboring countries, especially Myanmar and Laos, also contributed to the pollution. Road traffic is indeed responsible for most of Bangkok’s seasonal air pollution, but a new study concludes that other sources such as field burning and factory emissions – as well as natural phenomena – play decisive roles that can’t be ignored

Anyone (apparently) running this country is in the hands of a 'Certain Person' plus the overwhelming power of the Big Five Families that control 95% of the business in the country and as these people are the ones owning all the combustible fields that are at the root of the problem then it is in their economic interests to ensure the burning continues.   Anyone trying to make something different happen will find themselves looking down the Gun Barrel of a Tank !!

48 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Wow budding environmentalist now given up on a politial activist !!!  this post sounds like doomsday which it is not !! there are plenty of people who care, Thailand CAN for example, smog occurs seasonally from roughly December through April, I must admit Thailand still does not have explicit laws aimed at tackling the pollution. Smog and air pollution are not only domestic issues but transnational problems. Crops burned in neighboring countries, especially Myanmar and Laos, also contributed to the pollution. Road traffic is indeed responsible for most of Bangkok’s seasonal air pollution, but a new study concludes that other sources such as field burning and factory emissions – as well as natural phenomena – play decisive roles that can’t be ignored

I am neither political activist....that is you. Nor environmentalist....but I like it clean.

No it is not "Thailand" if close by they burn trash, and the smoke upcountry is mostly homemade by burning the fields and that is not new science that is discussed the same way since 20 years. Road traffic got massive cleaner, only people got more aware of it. Transnational also exist but is in compare a small problem (In the south from Indonesia, can be bad)

5 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Anyone (apparently) running this country is in the hands of a 'Certain Person' plus the overwhelming power of the Big Five Families that control 95% of the business in the country and as these people are the ones owning all the combustible fields that are at the root of the problem then it is in their economic interests to ensure the burning continues.   Anyone trying to make something different happen will find themselves looking down the Gun Barrel of a Tank !!

average farm size in Thailand is small....so I doubt it is controlled by a few people only

4 minutes ago, h90 said:

I am neither political activist....that is you. Nor environmentalist....but I like it clean.

No it is not "Thailand" if close by they burn trash, and the smoke upcountry is mostly homemade by burning the fields and that is not new science that is discussed the same way since 20 years. Road traffic got massive cleaner, only people got more aware of it. Transnational also exist but is in compare a small problem (In the south from Indonesia, can be bad)

Iam quoting from a Study done by Greenpeace Thailand, the World Air Quality Index Project, City Hall, and the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency and you belive they got it wrong !!!!  and Transnational means operating across national boundaries. not indonesia  they are talking about Myanmar and Laos,  as an budding environmentalist will give you a 'F'

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#BREAKING:

@prayutofficial

, outgoing Prime Minister and former army chief who seized power in the 2014 #ThaiCoup, is announcing his retirement from politics, resigning from the

@utn_official

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1678697032125648901

Thats good  BIG loss of Face for him cannot be in the top spot

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Its a Start more to come, hope MF can rescind his get out of jail card, the loss of face will be killing him.

lock him up, removed his pension and other benefits, problem solved

With former junta leader Gen Prayut quitting (coup) politics & 'enjoying' final days as caretaker PM, it's now down to Phalang Pracharath Party leader Prawit & Bhumjai Thai Party leader Anutin to possibly challenge Pita & Pheiu Thai Party for PM post

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1678710618906566656

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

With former junta leader Gen Prayut quitting (coup) politics & 'enjoying' final days as caretaker PM, it's now down to Phalang Pracharath Party leader Prawit & Bhumjai Thai Party leader Anutin to possibly challenge Pita & Pheiu Thai Party for PM post

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1678710618906566656

Anutin has already said he does not want to join minority

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Denim said:

Meaningless clucking.

I doubt that any government can deal with this terrible situation without the full co operation of neighboring countries.

Easier said than done given the current situation. 

More rhetoric and huffing and blowing will achieve nothing.  Problem is that if effective draconian measures were implemented there would be an immediate responsefrom human rights groups.

Miscreants don't give a fig for words. There will always be a handful of selfish individuals who will torch forests and disappear. Very hard to police such a large area without a huge investment in manpower. A potential ranger behind every tree would be expensive. And what should be the appropriate sentence to anyone starting a fire ?

What the Thai government can do is to enforce and clean up Thailand and then start pointing the finger at other countries.

Sadly this current caretaker government didn't even bother to to that for the last 9 years.

In an attempt to be unbiased none of the previous coup or civilian governments seemed to bother either.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What the Thai government can do is to enforce and clean up Thailand and then start pointing the finger at other countries.

Sadly this current caretaker government didn't even bother to to that for the last 9 years.

In an attempt to be unbiased none of the previous coup or civilian governments seemed to bother either.

Its what Thai's do best Form a committee  get paid and do nothing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

So he has been found guilty now what!!!!       NOTHING  thai people and the courts are apathetic

It is a Thai problem, so why are you getting upset. There is nothing that you can do about it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1