Moving to Thailand (66 years old) Brit but living in Switzerland

Ok, I'll push the boat out here.

End of this year I intened to spend approx three months in Thailand, go back to CH for a few months then back again, probably for six-nine months. Then pretty much all the time in Thailand (Europe a couple of months a year tops).

I THINK I need a non-OA visa or something. I've pinged the local embassy here for advice but so far (only 24 hours give it time!) no response. I DON'T have permanent residence here.

Worst comes to worst I can go back to the UK and apply at the Thai Embassy there, or the consulate in Hull (where I have family and will go there anyway).

Ideas?

Do you intend to open a bank account and deposit 800k in Thailand? 

If so, the easiest way, is to arrive on Tourist visa or even visa exempt and apply for Non O retirement visa. Do you have income in Switzerland? Maybe check if Swiss embassy give you income verification. The Uk embassy do not. 

The income affidavit/certification should be obtained at your embassy here in Bangkok

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Been there, done that. Pay 65k minimum in a month (for the last three years)

should be easy just to arrive on visa exempt and start the process before two weeks left of your 30 days at your closest emigration your second trip. First trip best done with tourist visa if only 3 months

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

For the first part (3 months on Thailand), you could apply for a 60-day Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy in Switzerland.  Note that this cannot be done in person anymore, as in most European countries - as well as UK - you can now only apply for an eVisa on-line.

Again, good advice. Thank you.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, nglodnig said:

Ideas?

A non-immigrant type OA-visa is excellent when you wish to spend longer time in Thailand. It's ME (multiple entry) and each time you enters, allows you one year's stay in the Kingdom.

Another benefit with a non-OA is that you can keep your funds in your home country; i.e., no need to deposit in a Thai bank, or approval of monthly transfers.

You need to prove health insurance when using the non-OA visa; however, a health insurance is always a good choice. If you at any point with to stay more permanently in Thailand, it will be better at that time to enter on a non-O visa, and based on that entry apply for yearly extensions of stay.

To my knowledge you shall apply for a non-OA visa ion your home country. Today the process is electronic, so it should be fairly easy.

Staying more than 180 days in Thailand will in principle make you income taxable, but a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) will stop any extra taxation, as European countries normally tax higher than Thailand. As you are allowed to live tax-free from savings, it's normally nothing to worry about...????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:52 PM, Hummin said:

Do you intend to open a bank account and deposit 800k in Thailand? 

If so, the easiest way, is to arrive on Tourist visa or even visa exempt and apply for Non O retirement visa. Do you have income in Switzerland? Maybe check if Swiss embassy give you income verification. The Uk embassy do not. 

The income affidavit/certification should be obtained at your embassy here in Bangkok

And apply for a 1 year extension picking up a multi-reentry permit at the same time. Then OP can bounce back and forth to their heart's content for the following 365 days ...

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 4:05 PM, nglodnig said:

Been there, done that. Pay 65k minimum in a month (for the last three years)

Be aware that if converting from a visa exempt or tourist visa to a Non O within Thailand, many immigration offices (including Chaeng Wattana) do not accept monthly transfers; they require THB 800,000 in a Thai bank.  For an extension, they will accept THB 65,000 monthly for 12 months or THB 800,000 in a Thai bank.

• Like 2

Changing main domicile from Switzerland to Thailand, it will be difficult or at least expensive to keep any Swiss bank account and you will be kicked out of the Swiss health insurance system. You either can get quite expensive international health insurance (in my case I could have switched to ASN without preconditions) or find a Thai insurance (in my case Pacific Cross with reasonable premium and decent coverage except for stationary coverage (≈50% of daily cost)).

Edited by Klonko

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Avoid an OA visa due to the medical insurance requirements.  It use to be a good visa up until Oct 2019 when the Thai Immigration started requiring medical insurance for OA visa/extensions.  Since that change expats have been rapidly jumping off the Non OA boat onto the Non O boat.  LOTS and LOTS of posts on AseanNow over the last few years regarding switching from a Non OA to Non O.

Don't get me wrong....nothing wrong with having medical insurance; it's just the Non OA medical insurance requirements make it VERY hard to use anything other that some select "Thai" insurance companies/policies which are expensive with weak coverage in order to initially get a Non OA visa and then do annual OA extensions of stay.   

Summary: Go with a Non O; avoid the Non OA boat (Titanic).

I second what Pib noted.  Stay away from the type-OA if you plan to spend most of your retirement time in Thailand. 

For the proof of health insurance to satisfy Thai immigration (when it comes to the time for your 1st one-year extension) for the Type-OA visa, the coverage has to be described in a very specific form to satisfy Thai immigration, and further, the health insurance company has to enter the proof of your insurance into a Thai immigration database. 

Frankly?

Only Thai branches of a insurance company are likely to do that, AND only do that if you buy insurance from their branch.  

Further, my experience (with Cigna) was if you have medical insurance coveage from a non-Thai branch of Cigna insurance company, the Thai Cigna branch will REFUSE to provide the proof that Thai immigration requires.  The Thai Cigna insurance branch of the insurance company will insist you buy insurance from the Thai branch - even if it means DOUBLE insurance coverage from them (Cigna).  

And further the non-Thai branch of the Cigna insurance company REFUSE to provide the proof in the form that the Thai immigration requires.   

I recommend you stick with a Type-O visa approach, and there are various ways to go about obtaining that Visa and subsequent 1 year extensions.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Klonko said:

it will be difficult or at least expensive to keep any Swiss bank account

Except when you are a retired employee of a Swiss bank. It's not free - but you get it for life.

And signed up for Pacific Cross many years ago to avoid any age limits and the cost of the Swiss medical insurance is approx (max  7500 ) (min 3000 with no claims) CHF per annum per person which is more than adequate to pay for the Thai one, however much they increases their fees. (I hope)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

Be aware that if converting from a visa exempt or tourist visa to a Non O within Thailand, many immigration offices (including Chaeng Wattana) do not accept monthly transfers

AFAIK Chiang Mai IO does not have that restriction.

And the checklist from the Thai Embassy in Bern stipulates a monthly income (International Transfer) for at least three months I think - I can prove more than four years. So I can get a non-O visa and then extend with proof of monthly income.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pib said:

See even the Thai Embassy didn't recommend a Non OA visa.   

As he doesn't have Permanent Resident status in Switzerland, he's not eligible to apply for a Non - OA Visa there so no surprise that the Embassy didn't recommend it. 

OP It sounds like you've got your Non O Visa sorted now but do note it is also possible to get one from a neighbouring country to Thailand (I believe Laos & Vietnam are currently the go-2 places) should you need to.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nglodnig said:

AFAIK Chiang Mai IO does not have that restriction.

And the checklist from the Thai Embassy in Bern stipulates a monthly income (International Transfer) for at least three months I think - I can prove more than four years. So I can get a non-O visa and then extend with proof of monthly income.

Do you not qualify for LTR?

8 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Worthless IMHO might as well flush 800k down the toilet - when I get a retirement visa for a few hundred baht and renew it every year.

Why is 800k flushed?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Why is 800k flushed?

Because you never get it back..... I can put 800k in the bank for a non-O visa thing and take it out if/when I leave - but this is a straight payment. No refunds. If I didn't qualify for a reitrement or marriage visa then maybe - otherwise pointless. It doesn't even allow you to work!

Just now, nglodnig said:

Because you never get it back..... I can put 800k in the bank for a non-O visa thing and take it out if/when I leave - but this is a straight payment. No refunds. If I didn't qualify for a reitrement or marriage visa then maybe - otherwise pointless. It doesn't even allow you to work!

You said 800k is flushed relating to an "LTR" visa?  Why is 800k flushed with an LTR visa?

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

You said 800k is flushed relating to an "LTR" visa?  Why is 800k flushed with an LTR visa?

doesn't anybody read the articles here? So the money is refunded after 10 years is it?

We ARE talking about the Elite Visa, right? Because that is what I'm referring to.

Edited by nglodnig

Just now, nglodnig said:

doesn't anybody read the articles here? So the money is refunded after 10 years is it?

You need to study-up on the LTR visa as there is no requirement to have Bt 800k in a Thai bank to qualify for or maintain an LTR visa.  And there is no application fee if a person fails to qualify for one of the various LTR visa categories.

LTR website

https://ltr.boi.go.th