Facial recognition - and other Thai banking fiascos!! - YMMV

6 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

yeah great level of security added.. in the past they needed to snatch ur pin only ..now if someone wants ur monies they will kidnap you ..great!

if one does not see the push to cashless then there is nothing to say to that person except sweet dreams

You claimed the addition of facial recognition was another push to a cashless society. The bank app is already cashless, nothing they do to it makes it more cashless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Yesterday, got the facial recognition/increased limit from both Bangkok Bank and SCB branches at Central Festival Pattaya

So do you have facial recog. with SCB or you just signed the waiver?

46 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

This was why I abandoned SCB in favour of KrungSri, where I have no such issues. Endless restrictions, absurdly low daily card limits, that sort of thing, with the reason "Difflen lule farang, no can"

. . . OK, bye.

When I went to get my IMM letter from Krungsri Head Office in April, they asked me to do the facial recognition. Their machine (which looked like a portable credit card reader) didn't work. I subsequently went into another branch recently and they performed it through a camera, without a hitch. I also bank with UOB, and as I was in the vicinity, I dropped in there to do the same. UOB said they don't require facial recognition....but I suspect it will only be a matter of time, and will require another visit.

7 minutes ago, topt said:

So do you have facial recog. with SCB or you just signed the waiver?

Sorry, To be honest I'm not sure.  I do remember asking the rep to tell me what she is doing and her English was poor and my Thai even worse so I just went with the flow. My head is swimming from dealing with 3 banks yesterday and don't want to test it by making a large not needed transfer.

If someone would tell me how I can check if I have the facial recognition without making a transaction then I'll let you know.

I know that the facial recognition works with Bangkok Bank.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile, Bangkok Bank app says I can go to any branch with my passbook to do a photo (but I'll still need to update my PP I suspect). Domestic transfers are currently limited to 50k but it also says that international transfers are 200k THB per day.

Downloaded Bangkok Bank app onto the 3 week old phone, inserted details for account 1, no problems.

Now for account 2 (which happens to be my original 20+ year old account), app says "cannot proceed, go to your branch". Hey Ho off I go to the branch that holds the accounts, and it was log-in on my phone and she'll add the account for me, guess what same message, Oh I'll have to refer the problem to Bangkok for them to investigate.

2 days later wanted to increase the daily limit on the card from the preset 5K (which is useless), again "cannot proceed", off to the branch again, no problems I'll do it for you, failure, assistant phones the 1333 helpline and after 10 mins discussion in Thai, it's they'll amend it for you.

On 7/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Crossy said:

Part 1

Many of us will have received this email from SCB.

image.png.5638cd6e15bdb91944ba92e17f8934cb.png

So, today since I'm not in the office due to getting my Work Permit medical (which was quick and easy) I headed off to our local SCB branch with Madam in tow due to little English being spoken by the bank staff. Note, we are not in the boonies, this is still in Greater Bangkok.

Showed the girlie on the door the email, she gave me a number and pointed us towards a desk with bank staff, showed him the email and he understood what was needed.

So Far So Good.

He then spent a while on the phone (to the call centre it turned out), then handed me the phone.

I spoke to a nice gentleman at the call centre who asked what I wanted to do "I need to do the facial recognition for the app", "Ah, are you in an SCB branch (yes) I'm not sure why they called me, let me talk to the bank staff again". 

More talking on the phone.

OK, back to my friend in the call centre: -

"The staff tell me you want an exemption from the facial recognition".

"No. I want to do the photo so the app will let me transact over 50k Baht please".

"Ah, SCB have no mechanism to do this for foreigners! We can only offer an exemption". (see the above email!)

"OK, let's do that then".

"I must warn you that any illegal transactions will be your responsibility".

"Fine by me".

He checked my phone number was correct and asked for the last 4 digits of my ATM card, then transferred me to the automatic system where I entered my PIN.

Back to my friend again: -

"OK (checking my number again), headquarters will be in touch by SMS when it is approved in 2 or 3 business days".

Phone hung up.

"OK, thank you very much", wais exchanged all round. Exit stage left.

Waited until we were in the car before showing that I was "a little miffed"!

Part 2

OK, off to our local Bangkok Bank with visions of doing the same there. Note that this isn't my "home" branch, but I've got several new passbooks and changed my passport number there several times over the years.

I need a new ATM card as the old one is expired (we never got to the facial recognition bit). Lots of wandering around and phone calls. Eventually, "We don't think we can do it here, you need to go to your home branch, or we can open a new account. We will call headquarters and get back to you".

EDIT Not sure if it's relevant but I also have a new PP, maybe they fall over if two things need doing.

Just got the call, "Have to do at home branch". Hopefully it still exists.

To be Continued!!!

I have had a similar experience but worse , about a month ago I went to the Bangkok bank to get the facial recognition done , in and out in 10 mins all done. The next stop Krungsri bank ,  again in and out very quickly , no problems.

Then off to my 3rd bank the SCB , waited 30 minutes in the queue, then I was told , this is for Thai people only , foreigners don't need to do. 

Then on July 5 , I got the message on my app that I now needed to get the facial recognition done as from July 4 it said.

So , then I tried to make a transfer for exactly 50,000 to my Bangkok bank , rejected. The app then informed me to change the settings in my app to allow me to transfer up to 200,000 without the facial recognition. Tried that , again rejected saying the bank does not have my photo in there system.

Then I went to the bank, same lady as before , she says I need to call the call center as she cant organise the facial recognition for foreigners.

I explained the app told me to come to bank , again she said " can not , but you can come to the bank if you need to make a transfer ".

Then phoned the call center again , was told I would need to sign some documents waving the banks responsibly if my money goes missing.

I had no choice but to sign , the lady then told me it would take 3 days for head office to consider .

3 hours ago, Zapitapi said:

agreed..has no additional or only minor security features for the user but gives ur biometrics to a private company..i will stay away from it

Just wondering if the bank has a copy of your passport. If so then they already have you 'biometrics'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brick Top said:

I have had a similar experience but worse , about a month ago I went to the Bangkok bank to get the facial recognition done , in and out in 10 mins all done. The next stop Krungsri bank ,  again in and out very quickly , no problems.

Then off to my 3rd bank the SCB , waited 30 minutes in the queue, then I was told , this is for Thai people only , foreigners don't need to do. 

Then on July 5 , I got the message on my app that I now needed to get the facial recognition done as from July 4 it said.

So , then I tried to make a transfer for exactly 50,000 to my Bangkok bank , rejected. The app then informed me to change the settings in my app to allow me to transfer up to 200,000 without the facial recognition. Tried that , again rejected saying the bank does not have my photo in there system.

Then I went to the bank, same lady as before , she says I need to call the call center as she cant organise the facial recognition for foreigners.

I explained the app told me to come to bank , again she said " can not , but you can come to the bank if you need to make a transfer ".

Then phoned the call center again , was told I would need to sign some documents waving the banks responsibly if my money goes missing.

I had no choice but to sign , the lady then told me it would take 3 days for head office to consider .

Update to above :

I received an SMS today informing me everything was ok now and I didn't need the facial recognition.

So I go to my SCB app and try and guess what , exactly the same , I can't do it , same message comes up saying , the bank does not have my facial recognition and I need to go to the bank with my ID.

Edited by Brick Top
Missing words

23 hours ago, mrfill said:

Just wondering if the bank has a copy of your passport. If so then they already have you 'biometrics'.

that might be true as it is possible to convert a photo to biometric data ..however its without consent and not as usable as its a b/w copy..

hey i get that escape of being "see-trough" for banks and governments is getting close to impossible for many reasons.. but i have the believe that my data should be that..mine.. so i try to keep it as much as i can and not give away without a thought 

Did it at my home bank (Bangkok Bank) and it works. 

Tried Krungsri because  they kept sending  a reminder-can do it at any branch the reminder  said.  Went to branch I use because  it doesn't have 3 flights of stairs. They didn't  understand what I wanted (Thai wife with me) and said I could do it on the app. Can attach a photo to app but nothing to do with facial recognition so have given up. Did UK bank facial recognition  on their  app easily. Seems Thai banks don't instruct  their staff

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 4:42 AM, Crossy said:

you need to go to your home branch, or we can open a new account.

This is nonsense but I have encountered the same resistance at smaller Mall branches of BBL ( many of which have been closed by BBL now anyway). Best to go to a larger city centre branch although language barrier can still be an issue. Take your smartphone with Translate app. I've found this gets the message across and understandable replies. In my case taking 'er indoors ( literally these days) only confuses everybody. Note to self: must learn Thai! 

• Like 1

I went into my local branch of the SCB yesterday afternoon, and was told that the was no facial recognition required for foreigners yet and that I needed to "request an exemption" for money transfers in excess of 49,999 baht via the SCB Easy app.

The only other way I could make transfers of 50K or more would be in person at the bank using the traditional passbook and paper form system, supported of course by your ID (passport).

So the bank representative called up the SCB Call Centre and gave them my account number and told them I wanted "an exemption".

I had to punch in my ATM PIN number into the machine at the window and it was all over.

I was informed that I would get a call from the Call Centre within 24 hours and that I had to verify my ID with my PIN and a couple of personal questions and my SCB Easy App transfer limit would be lifted.

This afternoon I received a call from the Bangkok SCB Call Centre (I knew it was them because I have their phone number registered as a Contact in my phone) and after a short discussion with a human I was diverted to an automated system that requested my PIN before returning the call to a human again.

He asked me to say "I acknowledge" after he had read out the T's&C's of using the app (basically acknowledging responsibility for all my transactions using the app) and was told that within 1-2 days I would receive as SMS from the bank advising me to update the app and that all my transactions would no longer be limited to under 50K baht. 

A fairly painless procedure (yes that is a comparative term I know...) but necessary.

I will update my experience for readers after the SMS is received.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:56 PM, Brick Top said:

Update to above :

I received an SMS today informing me everything was ok now and I didn't need the facial recognition.

So I go to my SCB app and try and guess what , exactly the same , I can't do it , same message comes up saying , the bank does not have my facial recognition and I need to go to the bank with my ID.

I was informed by the bank that I will have to update the app after receiving the SMS (and presumably before using the "old" app).

Did you do that?

If so, I suggest that you call the SCB Call Centre.

On 7/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Crossy said:

I need a new ATM card as the old one is expired (we never got to the facial recognition bit). Lots of wandering around and phone calls. Eventually, "We don't think we can do it here, you need to go to your home branch, or we can open a new account. We will call headquarters and get back to you".

I had the same happen, home branch is Minburi, Bangkok but we live in Isaan.  I was told I would have to travel to bangkok for a new card.  No way around it.  Ended up closing the a/c and paying a fee to open a new a/c nearby.  They seem to catch you which-ever way!

On 7/11/2023 at 6:00 AM, FritsSikkink said:

I have done the facial recognition picture at Bangkok Bank months ago, done very quickly. Works for all my accounts with them in different parts of the country. Biometric check for bigger transactions worked fine too. 

Me too, no issues. First transaction was a little sticky after that everything smooth and easy

Btw I experienced a recent security issue with my BBL credit card, a genuine attempted fraud. Was really impressed with the BBL response and the customer service I received , especially from the fraud team. I doubt my European bank would have handled the issue as efficiently.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Purdey said:

Off topic but I wonder how many problems for foreigners in Thailand would be solved if those foreigners spoke Thai?

In the UK and US locals get angry when hearing people speak foreign languages, "speak American" has appeared in many articles (not condoning racism). 

I know Thai education is not good so learning the national language makes sense for doing business here. 

Not for most AN posters, they're special and really believe that Thai workers should speak their foreign language, not their own!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, Zapitapi said:

agreed..has no additional or only minor security features for the user but gives ur biometrics to a private company..i will stay away from it

They get the same "biometrics" every time you go to the ATM or a branch, what's the big deal?

It would be impossible to shut off online/computer banking services  in western countries because of the outcry and it possibly being discriminatory (e'g. the assumption that everyone has and is willing to use a mobile). I suppose I'm hoping there will be a similar lash-back when/if SCB actually closes online banking.

So often in Thailand we hear about something that is going to happen, but someone high-up flip flops when the hue and cry goes up, and the status quo remains the same (e.g. nobody has really thought through the consequences or done any sort of risk analysis).

I'm not sure why SCB would want to shoot themselves in the foot by pissing off loyal customers. So called security concerns are just an excuse, it's simple cost cutting.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I suppose I'm hoping there will be a similar lash-back when/if SCB actually closes online banking.

As I said earlier, wishful thinking, SCB has already announced that it is happening, they're not just testing the water.

KTB ended its online services not so long ago, there was no backlash to speak of, never mind a "lash-back".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As I said earlier, wishful thinking, SCB has already announced that it is happening, they're not just testing the water.

KTB ended its online services not so long ago, there was no backlash to speak of, never mind a "lash-back".

I know there won't be a lash-back (as we say in strine) in Thailand - Thais don't complain. I don't own a mobile so I guess I'll have to go the branch to do transfers, or find a bank with online banking.

3 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I don't own a mobile so I guess I'll have to go the branch to do transfers, or find a bank with online banking.

Or buy a phone if you really don't own one (and most people would find that hard to believe of someone who is clearly IT adept).