Passports of Overstayers and Further Travel

Has anyone encountered trouble entering countries within and outside of this region with whatever markings are put in the passport of an overstayer in Thailand? (The overstay is less than 90 days and will be handled at a Bangkok airport.)

I'm thinking of short stay (tourist) visits. One's country of residence should be no problem. How about others? 

Can coming directly from an overstay in Thailand impede a tourist entry into another country?

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, hsoa said:

Has anyone encountered trouble entering countries within and outside of this region with whatever markings are put in the passport of an overstayer in Thailand? (The overstay is less than 90 days and will be handled at a Bangkok airport.)

I'm thinking of short stay (tourist) visits. One's country of residence should be no problem. How about others? 

Can coming directly from an overstay in Thailand impede a tourist entry into another country?

Thanks.

I am aware of people that have overstayed in Turkiye they are banned from using online visa services and they are required to submit a visa application through their embassy or consulate

For some countries they will simply denied you entry they work on the basis if you can't follow the visa rules of Thailand how do we know that you will follow the visa rules of our country if we grant you entry

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

For some countries they will simply denied you entry they work on the basis if you can't follow the visa rules of Thailand how do we know that you will follow the visa rules of our country if we grant you entry

This is a reasonable idea from logical thinking. Does anyone have experiential evidence of such an occurrence?

An overstay in Thailand does not affect returning.

What is more important is time spent in Thailand leading up to the overstay.

From memory I think that you had another recent thread outlining significant stay in Thailand? 

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

An overstay in Thailand does not affect returning.

What is more important is time spent in Thailand leading up to the overstay.

Thank you. I am interested in entry to other countries.

I assume you know that overstaying in Thailand for any amount is not a good idea currently

Here is recent reports of people being arrested for overstaying 6 days or 9 days

https://aseannow.com/topic/1288545-immigration-arrest-three-overstaying-foreigners-on-koh-phangan/

If you get arrested and the overstay is less than one year it comes with a 5 year entry ban

last post of this thread

https://aseannow.com/topic/1289322-swedish-man-arrested-on-samui-island-for-75-days-of-overstaying/page/5/#comment-18168172

I haven't overstayed but I was asked different requirements from airlines flying to Malaysia

flying one way from Thailand to Malaysia no requirement from airline for hotel reservation or outbound onward flight

flying one way from Europe to Malaysia airline wouldn't let me check in unless I produced both  hotel reservation and  outbound onward flight

Edited by vinny41
add

1 hour ago, hsoa said:

Thank you. I am interested in entry to other countries.

They usually aren't interested. Plus the overstay stamp is in Thai language only, so except for the officials of Laos who can obviously read Thai, "nobody" can read it anyway. 

59 minutes ago, Caldera said:

They usually aren't interested. Plus the overstay stamp is in Thai language only, so except for the officials of Laos who can obviously read Thai, "nobody" can read it anyway. 

This is reasonable speculation. However, one can imagine that any extra entries are noticeable to an Immigration official anywhere, and probably signals some sort of trouble.

C'mon overstayers! Give us your experience, please!

Edited by hsoa
grammar
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, hsoa said:

This is reasonable speculation. However, one can imagine that any extra entries are noticeable to an Immigration official anywhere, and probably signals some sort of trouble.

C'mon overstayers! Give us your experience, please!

If you had spent as much time on avoiding your overstay as you spend on asking these questions, you'd be in a better place.

What I wrote wasn't "reasonable speculation", but based on many reports from overstayers I've read. Very few had problems with regards to entering other countries with a Thai overstay. In fact the only problem I remember was with Lao Air refusing to take people with an overstay to Laos, ariund the time when Thailand introduced blacklisting.

If you're concerned, fly home first and get a new passport there. While that doesn't wipe Thai immigration's record of your overstay, it will ensure that IOs in other countries won't see any potentially incriminating stamps. 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

In Other countries the immigration employ people with a whole range of languages.

46 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you had spent as much time on avoiding your overstay as you spend on asking these questions, you'd be in a better place.

Agree.

Perhaps the OP has done the basic research on maximum fine being 20k which equates to 40days+ 

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

What I wrote wasn't "reasonable speculation", but based on many reports from overstayers I've read. Very few had problems with regards to entering other countries with a Thai overstay. In fact the only problem I remember was with Lao Air refusing to take people with an overstay to Laos, ariund the time when Thailand introduced blacklisting.

Thank you for expanding on your assertion.

Can you help me find some of the reports you mention? Do you have links?

15 hours ago, hsoa said:

Thanks.

At one time, it was reported that Laos would deny entry to those arriving by air directly from Thailand after overstaying. I do not know how strictly that policy was enforced or whether it is still in effect. If planning to fly to Laos and, you are on overstay, I suggest checking with the airline.

Simply having Thai overstay stamps in your passport (with nothing indicating denied entry or blacklisting) does not appear to be a problem, and I can recall no case where it has resulted in being denied entry elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, Caldera said:

If you're concerned, fly home first and get a new passport there. While that doesn't wipe Thai immigration's record of your overstay, it will ensure that IOs in other countries won't see any potentially incriminating stamps. 

In fairness to the OP he is asking for help and experiences of those that have overstayed. He did not ask for conjecture or stern lecture. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

In fairness to the OP he is asking for help and experiences of those that have overstayed. He did not ask for conjecture or stern lecture. 

He's now on overstay for 60+ days and seems in no hurry to leave Thailand ASAP to correct his illegal activity (as 3rd overstay thread in last 2 weeks).

Maybe a stern lecture is needed....

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1