Move Forward Party’s Thai PM Candidate Pita Fails First Round of Voting

snoop1130

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Interesting concept of 'counting votes': If I 'abstain' - for whatever reason, good or bad - my vote counts as a No.

Perhaps unique in the world.

Thai dinosaurs could conduct sociology research institute lessons in The New Mathematics of Democracy.

Looks like

Yes=no

No=no

Abstain =no 

So it's no or no! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Mind you, that may well be revisited. I suspect that before "fresh elections" are held the "long term caretaker government" will be busy sorting out the new Senate and it's powers

wishful thinking alas... last i heard a senator was appointed for life.to make any changes they will hav to go through the contitutional court. good luck with that

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Minority institutions must be protected. Democracy is non-existant when 250 junta planted senators determine the future direction of Thailand and not the person voted in by a huge majority of the Thai population. The people of Thailand spoke and spoke definitively. These junta henchmen should be locked up and stripped of all assets. Just discraceful. What a joke. 

Jokes are funny. This is shameful,especially the absentions.

Abstentions should be disallowed, at least on the frost round of voting.

9 hours ago, wasabi said:

Now he can form a boy band to perform a duet with Taylor Swift like he's always wanted.

My thoughts exactly.people want youth in the office, but girls like taylor swift... i doubt she is an adequate representative of democracy... she is yather a flagship of bad love affairs and broken hearts

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Has Thailand to wait for another 4 or more years for the next election?

The Generals wrote a perfect constitution to secure their power. 

If there is no result - as it looks like now - then we have a caretaker govt. which can rule and rule and rule...

A change definitely is possible if a coalition will get enough votes/seats one day.

But in the meantime the Generals and cronies will write a better constitution (for themselves) to prevent this scenario.

Only as far as the army-stuffed upper house exists. Their 5-year use-by date comes up some time around April 2024.

...unless the "caretakers" hang on to power (and you know they can) and re-appoint another 5-year Senate (which they probably will).

• Like 1

After election Jonathan Head of the BBC asked Pita about the problem of military reform policies apparently not be popular with the military.  Pita replied that MFP was extremely popular with army as evidenced by their excellent showing in the election in constituencies with large army bases.  That is basically the problem - a minority of corrupt money grubbers intent on using any dirty tricks that come to hand to continue to lord it over the majority.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

wishful thinking alas... last i heard a senator was appointed for life.to make any changes they will hav to go through the contitutional court. good luck with that

The current Senators terms in office expire in May 2024.

The government effectively "own" the constitutional court - I don't think that would pose a problem!

9 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

159 abstained; 44 didn't even show up to vote, 12 voted yes (for Pita) and 35 votes no.

Yes, it was pathetic that 81% of the scoundrels didn't actually vote at all after sponging off the taxpayer for 4 years.

One of them resigned the day before reducing the number of votes needed by one as their are now only 749 MPs and senators.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

The current Senators terms in office expire in May 2024.

The government effectively "own" the constitutional court - I don't think that would pose a problem!

Do you know the exact method of selecting the next senate?  Not in the constitution but must in the organic laws somewhere.  About 90% of current incumbents were directly appointed by the junta which no longer exists. It's definitely by selection not election but not sure who gets to select. Also they the next senate has no power to vote for the PM.  

Just now, Dogmatix said:

Do you know the exact method of selecting the next senate?  Not in the constitution but must in the organic laws somewhere.  About 90% of current incumbents were directly appointed by the junta which no longer exists. It's definitely by selection not election but not sure who gets to select. Also they the next senate has no power to vote for the PM.  

At the moment. I should imagine fixing that is very much on the top of the caretaker government's to do list.

Stand by for Wissanu Krea-ngam to start pontificating on the need to amend the arrangements for the selection and duties of the Senate!

51 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

After election Jonathan Head of the BBC asked Pita about the problem of military reform policies apparently not be popular with the military.  Pita replied that MFP was extremely popular with army as evidenced by their excellent showing in the election in constituencies with large army bases.  That is basically the problem - a minority of corrupt money grubbers intent on using any dirty tricks that come to hand to continue to lord it over the majority.

The army is happy only their bosses not... no conscription anymore is less soldiers is less personnel is less jobs is less money...Prevent it with everything you can

3 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

We have a worse situation in the UK House of Lords. Sign in collect their £350 daily allowance, clear off on the p*ss for the rest of the day or fall asleep on the benches missing the vote anyway 

A sweeping generalization. Just last week, the Lords rejected several of the more odious items of the sitting UK government's xenophobic immigration law reforms.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

If there is no coup the senate will have no vote at the next election and MFP or its successor can come back stronger, if not tainted by association with a corrupt PT administration.

How simplistic. The current Constitution that enables this rigged upper house can only be rescinded after a new, non-loyalist, coalition government is seated and manages to rewrite the Constitution. As sure as death and taxes, the current "caretakers" will still be in place and will renew the expiring 5-year "fixed" Senate with more of the same under the protections of the current Constitution.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue of abstaining is an issue, ut even more of an issue are the MP's who decided they had better things to do and could not even show up for such an important vote.  Those that did not show up to vote should be removed from office citing Malfeasance as the reason.

That would include Prayut, Prawit and all the top brass I believe.