Credit Card in Thailand

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Don't understand you. You say that if the potential customer DID have a UK address they wouldn't be trying to get a Wise card.

Why not? It is simlpe to use, convert and send currencies, and relatively cheap. 

Because you can get better cards. I don’t see anything great about it. Starling is better. 

Just now, NextG said:

How would a VPN help? ????

By identifying your location. I use vpn all the time because my US bank occasionally blocks the use of the cc. Also ifI want to do any business on my bank’s website then I have to use a vpn to access my account it’s annoying having an over protective bank.

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

By identifying your location. I use vpn all the time because my US bank occasionally blocks the use of the cc. Also ifI want to do any business on my bank’s website then I have to use a vpn to access my account it’s annoying having an over protective bank.

Perhaps he could just confirm that he’s in Thailand, to stop it happening again. Unless he’s been caught up in the KYC debacle and they cannot get it unlocked. 

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

What's an AT card? I was given a perfectly functioning Platinum Visa Credit card by KBank. No job needed here. All you need is a bank deposit with them to the amount of credit you plan to use.

I guess they meant ATM, but left out the M in their annoyance ????

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

Ridiculous ????

That’s only if you choose a card with that criteria. 
Better to choose a card that passes on the full VISA/

Mastercard exchange rate without deductions. I don’t know any cards that charge fees for purchases. Do you?

Yes my Visa card with UK bank is a credit card and you borrow their money from it.

If you have to deposit money to get a card in Thailand I'd said its just a debit card at your own expense. 

On purchasing I only get charged an exchange rate charge which is small.

I pay in full every month with D.D. so no other charges occur.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just because you do not fit the criteria needed to be issued a credit card does not mean that the card concept is beyond the comprehension of Kasikorn, it means that the concept of a credit card is beyond your comprehension.

And it means that Kasikorn have good understand and policies in regard to default risk.

CCs are a nightmare for banks globally, most risk, most resources needed to follow up/ gain payments (for both thais and foreigners).

Thais  are domiciled in Thailand and can be sued forpayment. In 99% of cases Foreigners can easily/quickly disappear and way too difficult for the Thai bank to sue them for payment of their CC debt.

Unless of course the card was issued on the basis that the bank holds a deposit, probably same amount as the credit limit on the card.

It's all about risk management. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

WISE is only a Debit Card. What YOU put in it you can spend. No money, cannot use.

Whats required to get a WISE card account here or when back in the UK, can i use my Thai address or do i need to wait until in actually in the UK when i have a new address, which i dont have at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes my Visa card with UK bank is a credit card and you borrow their money from it.

If you have to deposit money to get a card in Thailand I'd said its just a debit card at your own expense. 

On purchasing I only get charged an exchange rate charge which is small.

I pay in full every month with D.D. so no other charges occur.

Nope, the fixed deposit held by the bank as collateral is completely seperate from the credit card.

The secured deposit for the credit card is the credit limit for the card.

The credit card then functions exactly as any other unsecured credit card. It is not a debit card.

Why would the OP not use his own money on à debit card to purchase a 3000 dollar air ticket or just contact his bank to get his foreign credit card released from the block.

In any event it would take a few weeks to get approved for a Thai credit card.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Ridiculous ????

That’s only if you choose a card with that criteria. 
Better to choose a card that passes on the full VISA/

Mastercard exchange rate without deductions. I don’t know any cards that charge fees for purchases. Do you?

Lots of bank cards charge fees if foreign

46 minutes ago, bignok said:

Lots of bank cards charge fees if foreign

If you insist on replying to a question posed to someone else, then at least take the time to understand the question before replying. 
Fees for purchases. Savvy? Not forex fees as that was already covered by the phrase “lousy rate of exchange”. Which of course isn’t true either; since the max would be less than 3%. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

If you insist on replying to a question posed to someone else, then at least take the time to understand the question before replying. 
Fees for purchases. Savvy? Not forex fees as that was already covered by the phrase “lousy rate of exchange”. Which of course isn’t true either; since the max would be less than 3%. 

Like I said lots of cards charge foreign tx fees on purchases.

Forex rate plus 3%. At least learn first.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

Like I said lots of cards charge foreign tx fees on purchases.

Forex rate plus 3%. At least learn first.

Wow, did you miss the part where I wrote that we were discussing something separate from the forex fee? 
Seems you are on a roll today ☺️
Again fee for purchases, not the forex fee. Got it now?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And get  lousy rate of exchange AND a fee to do almost any transaction, ATM or purchase

A reminder for bignok exclusively…since he appears to not understand the subject under discussion. 

Edited by NextG
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Wow, did you miss the part where I wrote that we were discussing something separate from the forex fee? 
Seems you are on a roll today ☺️
Again fee for purchases, not the forex fee. Got it now?

But you are wrong. Each purchase attracts a fee.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It seems you're out of touch with banking. What you get from K-Bank and most other banks is a VISA debit card or Mastercard debit card, which for all intents and purposes is the same as a credit card, but you can only spend your own money. I've been using mine for 14 years and have never had any problems. When you make payments these days, most companies ask for a debit or credit card.

Ive got a "visa debit" cards for both Kasikorn and BKK bank. My name is not "priviledged Member" as printed on the cards..... do they work online ?

My actual visa credit cards do have my real name.... they work.

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Nope, the fixed deposit held by the bank as collateral is completely seperate from the credit card.

The secured deposit for the credit card is the credit limit for the card.

The credit card then functions exactly as any other unsecured credit card. It is not a debit card.

Why would the OP not use his own money on à debit card to purchase a 3000 dollar air ticket or just contact his bank to get his foreign credit card released from the block.

In any event it would take a few weeks to get approved for a Thai credit card.

Well fixed deposit you leave in the bank is separate from Thai credit card, sounds like a debit card set up to me as it's your money supporting it not the banks.

Thai banks are a joke.

Edited by Kwasaki

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't matter as it is not available to applicants in Thailand.

This has been repeated so many times and it is simply not correct. First of all the below LOL statement

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I can confirm recently, Wise does not issue cards for Thailand residents.

What resident? Can Thailand pls show me my PR or citizenship card where I can claim such privilege? Or are people claiming that just because I spent more than 6 months in a country I am considered a resident? Not in Thailand.

To get a card with Wise, you simply get verified with whatever passport you have. I did with my Canadian passport then put my mom's address. If your parents are dead or your friends and family back home hate you, just put any address, like a hotel. After you are done with all the formalities you can apply for a card and put whatever address you want. I had my Wise card delivered to my Bangkok condo - free of charge.

And I would just like to say how I am impressed with their app. It is so easy to navigate that any idiot can do it. Their numerous borderless accounts are amazing if you want to open an online shop. Their additional virtual cards which I used numerous times even on platforms like shopee which does not allow foreign credit cards. Not to mention their fraud prevention and customer service will be better than when dealing with a Thai bank. 

Wise is a God's gift to Farang expat.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This has been repeated so many times and it is simply not correct. First of all the below LOL statement

What resident? Can Thailand pls show me my PR or citizenship card where I can claim such privilege? Or are people claiming that just because I spent more than 6 months in a country I am considered a resident? Not in Thailand.

To get a card with Wise, you simply get verified with whatever passport you have. I did with my Canadian passport then put my mom's address. If your parents are dead or your friends and family back home hate you, just put any address, like a hotel. After you are done with all the formalities you can apply for a card and put whatever address you want. I had my Wise card delivered to my Bangkok condo - free of charge.

And I would just like to say how I am impressed with their app. It is so easy to navigate that any idiot can do it. Their numerous borderless accounts are amazing if you want to open an online shop. Their additional virtual cards which I used numerous times even on platforms like shopee which does not allow foreign credit cards. Not to mention their fraud prevention and customer service will be better than when dealing with a Thai bank. 

Wise is a God's gift to Farang expat.

Shopee allows foreign credit cards…

5 hours ago, Robin said:

I have just been messed about trying to book a trip to Singapore online using my UK Mastercard, which was 'security blocked' as use in Thailand

If I had an emergency and needed to hop on a plane and for whatever reason my credit card got jammed up, then I’d go to the airport and purchase the airfare with cash at the ticket counter 

3 hours ago, NextG said:

A card with a deposit is hardly a credit card

It says Credit Card on the account ! It also gets accepted at places needing deposit guarantees such as airlines, hotels and car rentals where an ATM debit card does not. It's been a big help since my country of citizenship no longer will give me a credit card with a Thai home address.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, novacova said:

If I had an emergency and needed to hop on a plane and for whatever reason my credit card got jammed up, then I’d go to the airport and purchase the airfare with cash at the ticket counter 

You could, but that flags you as a security risk. 

53 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive got a "visa debit" cards for both Kasikorn and BKK bank. My name is not "priviledged Member" as printed on the cards..... do they work online ?

My actual visa credit cards do have my real name.... they work.

Yes, they work online. You need to activate the (K-Bank) card for online use at any K-Bank ATM. Once you've done that, you're good to go...

I'm not sure about the process for the Bangkok Bank card. I have one, but haven't used it. It's a Mastercard.

Edited by JensenZ

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

Question is can the 'bonded' deposit be used to satisfy retirement visa requirement? you get a fixe deposit passbook that runs interest but you can't withdraw, if you put in 400or 800,000 in and get a bonded credit card against that allowing you to use money you can't otherwise touch. 

This came up some years ago with someone who had done this but when he came to get his bank letter they deducted the CC held amount from his balance. My memory has it that several other members at the time also had this issue - I think it changed from previous years.

Not really worth the risk unless you have more funds to cover that potential shortfall.

20 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

It says Credit Card on the account ! It also gets accepted at places needing deposit guarantees such as airlines, hotels and car rentals where an ATM debit card does not. It's been a big help since my country of citizenship no longer will give me a credit card with a Thai home address.

Definitely better than nothing. 

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

You're being rediculously pedantic. I've lived in Thailand full time for 17 years, so I'm a resident. Obviously I live somewhere, right? I'm not a resident of my home country.

This is the message you get if you use your Thailand address and phone number on Wise (even with my Australian passport):

Sorry, our cards aren't available in Thailand

Join our waitlist to be the first to hear when our cards become available.

When I log in, I'm asked for an SMS code sent to my phone number. Wise considers you a resident if you have an address and phone number in that country. There's no need for official PR documents or proof of citizenship.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2