High-end watch demand increases among younger Thai generation

webfact

image.jpeg

A constant evolution and inherent value have ensured a secure niche for high-end watches in today’s market, Narun Thamavaranukup, the managing director of watch distribution company, PMT The Hour Glass, avers. With smartphones ubiquitous, one might think wristwatches would lose their charm. However, as Thamavaranukup elucidates, these timepieces are more than mere instruments to tell time.

For Narun, watches play multiple roles – they are assets, investments and collectables. “Our watch business could remain sustainable for a decade even if we cease all marketing activities,” Narun enthusiastically stated, indicating the unwavering demand for watches in Thailand which he observes growing annually.

His company experienced an unexpected effect of the pandemic over the last three years. More free time led to an increased interest in watch collecting, particularly amongst the younger generation, insists Narun. High-end watches are attracting a demographic significantly younger than that witnessed previously, with individuals aged between 25 and 35 years old now forming the fastest-growing segment.

by Alex Morgan

Top photo: Narun Thamavaranukup, the managing director of PMT The Hour Glass, Image courtesy of The Hour Glass via Facebook

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/high-end-watch-demand-increases-among-younger-thai-generation

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

This is new to me. So those (possibly Indian) fellows who hold watches in my face on the sidewalks of Sukhumvit several times a day, or from their motorbikes as they go past, are not completely wasting their time? 

Only the real ones are collectable.

All I can say ( if they are talking about Rolex etc) is that the Thai youth are very well off today . I have many foreign friends of all ages and I’ve never noticed one wearing such a watch or Indian style gold chain. I’d be too afraid to be robbed, hurt etc.  My Vietnamese mother in law was on holidays in Vietnam , her chain , which wasn’t that big, was ripped violently from her neck and hurt her badly as she also fell. The thought of that happening didn’t cross her mind.  Expensive watch robbing is common everywhere, from driving in a traffic jam, on red lights, walking , and coming out of  parkings. I wouldn’t wear one , although I like them .

, and have considered it in the past.