Charter Court to consider accepting Pita’s iTV shareholding case on Wednesday

snoop1130

71B96825-E6D1-4DB8-BA15-42AA49779104.png

The Thai Constitution Court is due to meet this Wednesday to consider whether to accept the Election Commission’s petition for the court to rule on the parliamentary status of Move Forward party leader Pita Limjaroenrat, vis a vis the iTV shareholding controversy.

Pita is accused of holding 42,000 shares in iTV, a media company, at the time he registered his electoral candidacy, which is a violation Sections 82, 101(6) and 98(3) of the Constitution.

According to procedure, if the Constitutional Court agrees to accept the case, after being convinced that the accusation has grounds, it can issue an injunction to stop Pita from performing his duty as an MP until it rules on the case.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/charter-court-to-consider-accepting-pitas-itv-shareholding-case-on-wednesday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

There is  even an unelected senator  claiming that the reform of section 112 would be antidemocratic.  

But honestly why our governments so silent. A bit of a colonial stance IMHO.

It got edited.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

I'd say Pita is done.

He'll be lucky to dodge a 112 or 116 charge.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

which is a violation Sections 82, 101(6) and 98(3) of the Constitution.

82 (part) Upon receipt of the matter for consideration, if it appears that there are reasonable
grounds to suspect that the case of the member against whom the complaint is
lodged is founded, the Constitutional Court shall order such member to cease the
performance of his or her duties until the Constitutional Court makes a decision.
When the Constitutional Court has made a decision, it shall notify the President of
the House to which the complaint is lodged under paragraph one of such decision. In
the case where the Constitutional Court decides that the membership of the
member against whom a complaint has been lodged is terminated, such person shall
vacate office as from the date of cessation of the performance of duties, but this shall
not affect any act done by such person prior to the vacation of his or her office.

98.3 being the owner of, or a shareholder in any newspaper or mass media
business;

101.6 being under any prohibition under section 98;

98.3 seems pretty "flexible", so the CC will probably say that the glove fits.

6 minutes ago, jesimps said:

.......and we all know who wrote the latest constitution. Saying that, and I've said it several times before, I still can't figure why Pita didn't bin those shares before the election.

yes but you can't bin the flaws of the constitution court...they didn't write it.

14 minutes ago, neeray said:

They don't "follow it". They "bend it" to whatever way the junta party says to bend it.

I can't see that........Do you have any examples of where they bent it? I have more the impression that they follow the law to the letter. But I am not following them in detail.

• Thumbs Up 1

typically double standards policy here if you are not 1 off prayut s gready dinosaur maffia 

you need to be a perfect virgin not having lived a life before

not made any money to survive in short a newborn clone

i would love to see all the gready moneygrabbing stuff from these senators to be publiced

this book would be bigger than any bible or koran

• Like 1

If the Senators must stay, there should be an amendment regarding the conduct of their duties.  They should not be allowed to abstain from a vote and if they do so, it should be considered that they are guilty of treason and should be charged accordingly.

I must admit that Pita is his own worst enemy.  He should have ensured that he was whiter than white before becoming an MP.  He should have also known that the opposition would use whatever tool is available to him to negate his bid to become PM, which in reality is very fair in the dirty game called politics.

A sharp learning curve for the young pretenders!

• Thumbs Up 1

Pita does not stand a chance... even "if" the full assembly seats him as PM (that's a big if), he will be ousted by this EC/CC conspired iTV shares situation. Sadly, they have a good case against him. The shares are in a media company (it makes no difference if the company is currently not operating). The company clearly still has assets as the shares are worth nearly $3,000. Pita's own carelessness could ultimately be his undoing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I must admit that Pita is his own worst enemy.  He should have ensured that he was whiter than white before becoming an MP. 

He has bigger enemies than himself. The biggest. And I think he will be subject to criminal charges, 112/116, along with scrutiny on land deals/holdings. Criticism of the Institution must be nipped in the bud, and an example must be made to discourage future criticisms.

But I do agree that he should have had two separate legal/financial reviews of his holdings. Especially given Thanatorn's travails with an in-flight magazine.

I think he thought, assuming he was aware of all the details of his late father's holdings, that iTV shares were worthless paper. Most people would think that too. But the CC can rule however they want, and they'll rule he violated 98.3

FWIW he was, however briefly, an MP in 2019/2020, until Future Forward was run out of town.

I'd like to see all MPs and Senators subject to a similar financial forensic review.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

again a day before voting for Pm. Hopefully the CC will do their job and don't accept it and make the way free for a modern Thailand

Funny how it just came over very cloudy, and I swear that's a flock of pigs up there.????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

If the Senators must stay, there should be an amendment regarding the conduct of their duties.  They should not be allowed to abstain from a vote and if they do so, it should be considered that they are guilty of treason and should be charged accordingly.

I must admit that Pita is his own worst enemy.  He should have ensured that he was whiter than white before becoming an MP.  He should have also known that the opposition would use whatever tool is available to him to negate his bid to become PM, which in reality is very fair in the dirty game called politics.

A sharp learning curve for the young pretenders!

what difference does it make if they vote no or abstain?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Constitution Court is due to meet this Wednesday to consider whether to accept the Election Commission’s petition for the court to rule on the parliamentary status of Move Forward party leader Pita Limjaroenrat, vis a vis the iTV shareholding controversy.

If they go by the Book then Pita won't be the next PM .   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Commission_of_Thailand

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

There is  even an unelected senator  claiming that the reform of section 112 would be antidemocratic.  

But honestly why our governments so silent? A bit of a colonial stance IMHO.

Thailand-Insignificant on the World stage as they do not supply oil.