Back on the bar stool.

bob smith

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you a doctor?

So you know more that the American Medical Association or the WHO and many other experts? 

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/alcoholism-not-disease-alcoholism-p-34-44-1994-carol-wekesser-ed#:~:text=Alcoholism and other types of,model%2C and the moralistic model.

The flaw in the disease model is that it claims addiction is a disease beyond volitional control except when it comes to treatment failure, wherein "resistance" comes into play. Treatment is not consistent under this model because there is no medicine and there is no disease. Research suggests that drug addiction is far from a disease. As long as drug addiction can be blamed on a mythical disease, the real reasons why people use drugs -- those related to socioeconomic, existential, and psychological conditions, including low self-esteem, self-worth, and self-efficacy -- can be ignored.

Edited by bignok
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've been in AA for many years and met thousands of recovered alkies, who tell me that it was only by finding God, as they understood Him, that they managed to recover.

Of course they did. Because finding god is pretty much a requirement of being in AA. And the group will not allow you to proclaim that you're cured unless you also claim that you've given in to a higher spirit.

If you believe that the only person who determines your destiny is yourself then you, by definition,  cannot be 'cured' at AA.

It's like me saying "look how well I've done cutting back drinking, as now I smoke weed most nights instead of having a drink". In neither case have you cured your ailment; just replaced one dependency with another, hopefully less harmful,  one.

• Like 1

Addictions are a form of escapism whether it’s smoking, drugs, alcohol, gambling or love addiction. All of these stem from some inner lack or void. Often this lack is determined by our levels of confidence and self esteem. Psychological therapies go a long way to easing the urge to escape and can teach individuals to emotionally regulate in better ways and deal with distress in a more tolerant manner.

Positive forms of escape include meditation

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/forms-of-escapism/#:~:text=Addictions are a form of,of confidence and self esteem.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:48 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

He may just be bored?! 

If you're here in Thailand, lonely and bored, nothing to do, nowhere to go or just have too much time to do nothing the beer bars are irresistible. 

Go to a gym / start doing a sport.

Learn Thai, study something else.

Go working, do some charity.

Travel, go seeing things. 

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Of course they did. Because finding god is pretty much a requirement of being in AA. And the group will not allow you to proclaim that you're cured unless you also claim that you've given in to a higher spirit.

If you believe that the only person who determines your destiny is yourself then you, by definition,  cannot be 'cured' at AA.

It's like me saying "look how well I've done cutting back drinking, as now I smoke weed most nights instead of having a drink". In neither case have you cured your ailment; just replaced one dependency with another, hopefully less harmful,  one.

Dr Phil always said you replace a bad habit with a good habit. Thats how I quit smoking. So I agree with him.

Humans need habits to function effectively.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Have you ever been to an AA meeting?

There is only ONE requirement, the desire to quit drinking.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Because finding god is pretty much a requirement of being in AA

i think i found him in a 7/11 once. he was buying a bottle of gin and 20 marlboro lights.

Edited by bob smith

1 hour ago, bignok said:

The flaw in the disease model is that it claims addiction is a disease beyond volitional control except when it comes to treatment failure, wherein "resistance" comes into play. Treatment is not consistent under this model because there is no medicine and there is no disease.

I'm not talking about drug addiction.

There is a medicine that cures alcoholism, or keeps it at bay. I took part in a clinical trial of Naltrexone many years ago. It stop the withdrawals. Alkie produce natural opiates when imbibing alcohol, unlike normal drinkers. 

Although there is a cure, I prefer to go the spiritual route. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not talking about drug addiction.

There is a medicine that cures alcoholism, or keeps it at bay. I took part in a clinical trial of Naltrexone many years ago. It stop the withdrawals. Alkie produce natural opiates when imbibing alcohol, unlike normal drinkers. 

Although there is a cure, I prefer to go the spiritual route. 

Alcohol is a drug.

4 hours ago, JayClay said:

Who told you this? 

They couldn't be farther from the truth. 

A bar stool for the day and finish it off with a couple Whoppers, how about wake up, make your bed, 2 hours in the gym........50 burpees included, then have a salad...........you won't need that coffin so soon......

On 7/19/2023 at 3:13 PM, VocalNeal said:

Everything has chilli???? Even the burgers. 

Try the Zinger (chicken burger). No chili, but usually a large dollop of mayonnaise. You can scrape it off (I usually do).

9 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Try the Zinger (chicken burger). No chili, but usually a large dollop of mayonnaise. You can scrape it off (I usually do).

Zinger no longer available, and now a chicken burger for 49 baht.  I'd rather pay the extra 15 ish baht for the Zinger.  Won't be getting the Chicken burger again ... nuff said.

4 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

how about wake up, make your bed, 2 hours in the gym........50 burpees included, then have a salad...........you won't need that coffin so soon......

I think I'd prefer a coffin to eating salad every day...