Nationwide Milk Shortage

jcowle

Milk supplies down south still hit and miss, but can usually find the All Season milk. There was another new one in the 7-11 today Party Dairy - milky milk gave it a miss in favour of All Season.

45957.thumb.jpg.8db664df60134f8f251dedce9bef1d47.jpg

• Like 1

The milk problem has been 'brewing' for some time. 4 July 2022:

Dairy farmers ask for price adjustment of "raw milk", pointing to an increase in costs by 60-70%

Dairy farmers urged the government to fix raw milk prices as farm management costs have increased significantly, fearing that in 2568 [2025], the 0% tariff on imports of milk and dairy products from Australia and New Zealand will destroy the livelihoods of Thai dairy farmers. 

Under the Free Trade Agreement between Thailand and Australia and New Zealand, it will make the price of dairy products from abroad cheaper than the price of raw milk in Thailand.

FTA: The import tariffs and quotas for some Australian and New Zealand dairy products (including whole milk powder, whey, cheese, and anhydrous milk) were removed on January 1, 2021, while import tariffs and quotas for milk, cream, flavored milk, and skim milk powder will be eliminated in 2025.Feb 3, 2564 BE

Edited by gomangosteen

21 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Wait for the sudden jump in prices, first create a demand due to shortages, and then cash in.

Actually, when milk finally resurfaced in Lotus in Hua Hin Market Village, at least one brand was actually reduced from what it used to be (and all the others were exactly the same).

On 7/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, when milk finally resurfaced in Lotus in Hua Hin Market Village, at least one brand was actually reduced from what it used to be (and all the others were exactly the same).

Still nothing in Chiang Mai.

Even my coffee local shop has resorted to using UHT milk (nasty).

I had my last coffee there this morning until the milk reappears.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

The price of cattle feed has become too expensive.

It has been on real news sites.

That would explain a gradual escalating shortage (remember 51% of Thai milk comes from NZ/Oz).

That doesn't explain all milk gone over a span of 2 days.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

The price of cattle feed has become too expensive.

It has been on real news sites.

Cattle feed being too expensive wouldn't explain why fresh milk completely disappeared from the shelves for several days and then reappeared at the same price or (at least for one brand) slightly lower than before.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Still nothing in Chiang Mai.

Even my coffee local shop has resorted to using UHT milk (nasty).

I had my last coffee there this morning until the milk reappears.

Surprising, as even our local Makro had DutchMill the other day.   Obviously I got there on a day of so after they restocked as only three 2L left, but a huge empty area, so had the normal restock.  Plenty of the other milk/dairy options.

We're not exactly located mainstream or large, and an hour below Hua Hin, which also was well stocked a few days ago, at the Gourmet Market.

I would think we're on the last stop southbound from Krung Thep warehouses, and Chumphon and Surat Thani have local distribution centers stocking them.  Almost 200 kms below us.

Edited by KhunLA

24 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are articles saying that approximately that percentage of imports of all dairy products into Thailand is from those countries but that's not the same as 51% of all milk sold here.

Probably includes baby formula (shelves full for non-existing Chinese customers), cheese, and butter.

39 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

In addition, much of what is imported, in the form of concentrated milk or milk powder is then used to produce dairy products that are exported from Thailand. See article below.

A quick stop at Thailand’s dairy sector

That little tidbit surprised me, when I read it way back when, as having a thread discussing fresh vs milk powder.

I was in Villa at Little Walk and they had plenty of the 2 litre bottles of Meiji milk in every version EXCEPT the full fat one which I suspect is the most popular, at least among the sweating farangs. Maybe there's no milk shortage, just a full cream or fat shortage, lol?

Yesterday afternoon I tried the local Mini Big C and a 7-eleven - they only had a few small bottles of Meiji full fat, Dutch Mill and Chokchai, but I was going to Makro this morning anyway, so I left it. In Makro this morning there was no Meiji milk at all, and no full fat that I could see, though there was a Thai brand that was new to me, all Thai writing, I didn't bother checking any further, probably melamine concentrate for the Chinese market, lol. I called off at a local 7-eleven again on the way back and, finally, they had a couple of 2 litre bottles of the Meiji full fat. Maybe the drought of decent milk is coming to an end, slowly? 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:07 PM, Guderian said:

I was in Villa at Little Walk and they had plenty of the 2 litre bottles of Meiji milk in every version EXCEPT the full fat one which I suspect is the most popular, at least among the sweating farangs. Maybe there's no milk shortage, just a full cream or fat shortage, lol?

Or simply inventory management.  No longer ordering as it didn't sell out before expiring.

As many note, fresh milk isn't really a Thai thing, and not exactly inexpensive.  Almost 1/3 day's pay for unskilled worker for 2L jug ????

An aside, along those lines, the expat forums in Udon Thani, and folks constantly complaining about lack of western products on the chain store shelves.  Before Villa Market arrived.  

Apparently heard & accommodated, by TescoLotus & CarreFour.  Big C never really fell for, even after buying CarreFour, and ditched the western stock.   

Within a year or so, they (Big C & T/L) removed most western products as simply didn't sell.  No market for it.

Simply good business.  Let Villa Markets fill the niche and charge silly prices to cover expiring product trashed.   Obviously enough willing to pay.

Edited by KhunLA

Bought some NZ dried full cream milk off Shoppe ,B 209 Makes 7 ltr s

makes good milk too , the other day I bought a 2 ltr jug of a brand

I had not seen  before ,,when getting it out the fridge the light was

shining through it ,it was white at the bottom half of it ,and nearly

clear at the top half , shake it up ,all white ,but God knows what

was in it., a shortage ,time for adulteration ...

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

though there was a Thai brand that was new to me, all Thai writing, I didn't bother checking any further, probably melamine concentrate for the Chinese market,

I know it. I bought one last week, but never again. It had a frothy texture and I found it very unpleasant to drink. Last week that was all my local 7Elevens were stocking and I visited quite a few. I didn't see it this week - maybe they've pulled it due to complaints.

• Like 1

Milk is not particularly healthy anyway. Plenty of good quality alternative milks out there. Oat, rice, almond, coconut, etc. Some of them are very tasty. Why fight a shortage, and add to it? Not available? Ok, I do not need it.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, nowhereman said:

I replaced cow milk for my daily coffee with coconut milk. It does not kill off polyphenols from coffee nor from tea. Healthier choice. This shortage is well orchestrated with the aim of price hike.

If it was "orchestrated with the aim of price hike," then why, when the milk reappeared after a few days' absence was it either exactly the same price as before or even slightly cheaper for some brands?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If it was "orchestrated with the aim of price hike," then why, when the milk reappeared after a few days' absence was it either exactly the same price as before or even slightly cheaper for some brands?

You've won ????

• 4 weeks later...