What’s more important as you age — stretching, balance work or strength training?

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

There's a ton of new research in the last few years that indicate the best way to maintain healthspan.

According to Dr. Peter Attia. the absolute #1 factor is limiting all cause mortality (ACM) is a high VO2 Max. In terms of exercise, sleep and diet, the order of importance is exercise (specifically weight training), then sleep, then diet.

Lots of research that has been peer reviewed has gone into the various diet fads, and the major correlation is not keto nor time restricted feeding nor intermittent fasting, but just caloric restriction. Keto seems to have its own set of problems, which research is now suggesting.

Re weights...it helps to vary the workout.  Many reps with low to medium weight is good for conditioning and definition. Low reps with near max weight makes the body produce more testosterone and HGH, as well as strengthening bones and ligaments. It also maximizes strength. If one lifts properly, balance and pliability come naturally, though it doesn't hurt to do additional balance exercises and some stretching. Exercise also helps with insulin resistance.

Balance deteriorates for 2 reasons. One is that all of the small muscles involved in balance, when not used regularly, atrophy. The 2nd reason is that the hairs in the semicircular canals harden or break, so the signals generated by fluid moving over the hairs in the canals are not as clearly read in the brain.

Running can do more harm than good. When running, the knees absorb 12x the body weight with each stride. That is going to lead to issues over time. For reasons of vanity, running also stresses the collagen in one's face, which leads to dropping skin. With age, collagen production drops dramatically anyway, so adding running to the mix just ages a face even faster.

Strength is also a function of protein utilization. After about age 25, the body's ability to utilize protein diminishes, so as one ages, one needs to consume more protein. After age 50 one should shoot for as much as 2 gm/kg of body weight per day, spread out over several meals. Amino acids remain in the blood for about an hour after consumption, so no one should worry about activating mTOR continuously, as when one sleeps, mTOR is deactivated.

Two last things to help with cognition and brain health....it seems creatine not only has benefits in terms of muscular endurance, but also has brain benefits. Creatine is a first source of energy, so it makes sense that the organ that is 2% of body weight but consumes 25% of one's energy (brain) benefits from creatine supplementation. The second thing is making sure one gets plenty of Omega-3. As one ages, the blood-brain barrier develops leaks which allow toxins in the blood (such as from breathing Bangkok air) to get into the brain. Omega-3 helps repair the blood-brain barrier.

Not everyone can, or will, follow all of the recommendations all this new research is uncovering, but for those who can and do, the benefits are substantial.

I agree with most, but when it comes to supplements, Im a bit critical especially when you claim 2g protein of body weight, and also use of creatine for someone who is not on a elite level. Even body builders (non steriod builders) do not use more protein than 1,6g - 2g pr body weight kg. 

Can you add your science source, because for normal people more than 1,2g pr bodyweight kg, can do more harm than good. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's a common myth fat is bad for you. It's not. I eat lashings of cheese, 35 - 40% fat.

I think healthy fats like those found in cheese are needed by the body.

I wonder if they even help prevent cognitive decline.

It's the bad fats you need to limit - all cooking oils used in restaurants etc. 

I might start a thread on FATS one day. 

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

What is your situation concerning exercise and nutrition? 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I got lazy with exercise and put on some weight. My pants are too tight. 

That's where I'm at. 

Also, the weight gain may be due to switching off keto and introducing a fair amount of fruit in the diet. So now I'm switching back to more keto-ish, with a bit of fruit but less than before. Fruit is high in carbs and I learned that if I need to burn them off. 

Watch that video I linked above. That guy does these freaky stretching exercise movements ... stretching + primal movements. I think this guy is a genius and I would like to try those at some point, but i'm not there yet. Still far away from my ideal exercise routine.

Not a fan of jogging/running. Low intensity cardio is better. + Maybe some tennis once or twice a week. 

But I'm not anywhere near my ideal. 

45 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

10 months old is the only aberration. 

all others are advanced ages.

50 is not an advanced age, unless you smoke or do sth really bad for the body. 

Why is it an aberration?

Medical insurance is made from the average age of deaths. The highs and the lows are all counted.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Why is it an aberration?

someone dying at 10 months old is something that cannot be explained by normal logic.

it's beyond the scope of this thread.

human beings generally are not supposed to die at 50 ... that's well below the normal life span. could be genetic issues, i suppose. 

I read by 2050 that 1 in 10 people will live to 100? not sure. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

what else?

for resistance training, I will start doing bodyweight squats at some point.

without weights, it's much safer and less risk of injury, especially for older folks. 

and you can do as many reps you need until fatigue. 

again, i'm preaching to myself here. and always putting it off because it's hard work. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, save the frogs said:

i just watched 10 seconds and saw him running and then the narrator is in awe that he is on a meat-free diet. 

i have a good story. i was having lunch with this guy in his 70s in super bad shape with a big belly who never works out. and he mentioned a guy he knew that was a vegan and a jogger who dropped dead at 50. he couldn't quite grasp how, if running is such a great exercise and veganism is such a great diet, he dropped dead so young. 

As I understand it, the problem with veganism is getting enough protein. Humans were hunters before they developed crops.

My son and his wife were vegans for about a decade. They went back to eating meat when they found they were becoming anemic.

Soy is a very common source of protein for vegans. It is also rich in phytoestrogens, which are endocrine disruptors.

38 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

someone dying at 10 months old is something that cannot be explained by normal logic.

human beings generally are not supposed to die at 50 ... that's well below the normal life span. could be genetic issues, i suppose. 

54 was  the average life span in Russia in 1950, due to rampant alcoholism. It has now improved to about 72 years.

I was reading recently life expectancy is quite strongly correlated to IQ, based on a study commenced in 1932 with young students somewhere in the UK, and followed up 50 years later.

The study concluded the smarter you are, the longer you will live, on average. Of course, there will always be outliers.

This may be uncomfortable information for some ASEAN posters.

Edited by Lacessit

28 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Ideal all men should die before 50 ???? but we are getting taller, heavier and live longer. 

To be true, my best years have been after 50, even I have done alot, travelled alot, worked in 8 different proffessions (shortest two years only) and had a ball when younger, but nothing of that means anything now, and back to the roots. 

24 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

what else?

for resistance training, I will start doing bodyweight squats at some point.

without weights, it's much safer and less risk of injury, especially for older folks. 

and you can do as many reps you need until fatigue. 

again, i'm preaching to myself here. and always putting it off because it's hard work. 

I would look at powerbands at lazada and youtube for programs and exercises, cheap and effective especially for people who do not have access to gym. Im quite surprised how effictive they are. 

48 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

There is recent research indicating the brains of dementia patients are magnesium-deficient.

The problem with most cooking oils is the level of refinement, which removes anti-oxidants. OTOH, virgin olive oil is rich in them, and is a part of the Mediterranean diet.

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I will let you know if I make it.

I will be 106 years old by then.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

And yet folks like yourself consonantly tell well fit in shape folks what their doing wrong with their diets or workouts ????

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is recent research indicating the brains of dementia patients are magnesium-deficient.

The problem with most cooking oils is the level of refinement, which removes anti-oxidants. OTOH, virgin olive oil is rich in them, and is a part of the Mediterranean diet.

I read that magnesium regulates 200 functions in the body. Maybe one of the most important nutrients. 

I believe the claims that a lot of the olive oils are tainted with cheaper oils. So I stopped consuming it.

7 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I read that magnesium regulates 200 functions in the body. Maybe one of the most important nutrients. 

I believe the claims that a lot of the olive oils are tainted with cheaper oils. So I stopped consuming it.

Popeye loved olive oil and spinach! 

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I don't worry too much about oils, they are mostly esters of unsaturated fatty acids. There's a lot of argument in academic circles about the merits or demerits of each. I use canola, olive and sesame oils in cooking.

IIRC there was a scandal years ago about adulteration of Spanish olive oil.

OTOH, I don't eat anything with trans fats, which is in quite a few margarines.

Edited by Lacessit

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, save the frogs said:

If I make it to 2050 I’ll be 96; close enough.????

• Thumbs Up 2