Rejection of Pita’s renomination as PM ‘unconstitutional’ : Ombudsman

snoop1130

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Maybe the court should take a look at how the junta rewrote the constitution and placed 250 UNELECTED flunkies into the senate to rig the rules so nobody can ever seriously challenge their control after staging an illegal coup?

Correct!   I use to joke over coffee with other expat here.

Puppet Chan-O was pick for a reason <deleted> or years those who picked him delayed and delayed election while they rewrote the constitution to the way that would continue to fund the cash cow and put those in power to maintain the same system while hiding their corruption as being Democratic. 

The last two years prior to election they delayed again to make sure them the took it to the big house for some old monk or advisor I read the guy was like 95 plus to approve. 

If correct do the math connect the dots who is pulling the strings?????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bradiston said:

They aren't the paid patsies you make them out to be at all.

There is a long, long, long public history of the Ombudsman (actually a committee) ignoring or not pursuing complaints.

Often, when going up against the regime they claim they do not have "the authority" to do anything. AFAIK, they do not have any power or authority. All they can do is refer or reject "complaints".

This is a ceremonial vestige from Olde Siam, where one could petition the King.

Yes, in your case they pushed back on a minor unelected government official. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Edited by bamnutsak

17 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

There is a long, long, long public history of the Ombudsman (actually a committee) ignoring or not pursuing complaints.

Often, when going up against the regime they claim they do not have "the authority" to do anything. AFAIK, they do not have any power or authority. All they can do is refer or reject "complaints".

This is a ceremonial vestige from Olde Siam, where one could petition the King.

Yes, in your case they pushed back on a minor unelected government official. Thank you for sharing your experience.

You got any experience yourself of their services? Apart from a "long, long, long" one?

Edited by bradiston

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

The CC needs to nail down the voting process for PM, not just for this term but for future terms.  It's ludicrous, in my opinion, to only allow a PM candidate to be voted for one time.

That's also why Pita was urged to go to the ombudsman, so as to hopefully avoid a precedent bring set.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Whether his renomination was unconstitutional or not is irrelevant as pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court. Well that is my understanding but I am sure the experts on here will correct me if this is wrong.

There will be a few guys expecting large brown envelopes to pass over their desk to sway a vote one way or another.

34 minutes ago, bradiston said:

No. The CC weren't involved in the renomination at first. It was the speaker who messed up. He should have ruled straight away that a ban under rule 41 didnt apply to the nomination procedure. But he doesn't know his stuff, and got bullied and bulldozed into allowing it to be debated and then voted on. Of course it went down, but it should never have happened in the first place.

Old Wan hey. Picked for his vast experience. 

If the Court ruled that the rejection of Pita;s renomination is constitutional, then it follows that those who voted against Pita have committed an unlawful act and should be suspended or even banned from politics. I hope the MFP's legal team will push forward this case after court's verdict. Payback time. 

• Like 1

I doubt that Pita will get to introduce his progressive agenda.

It would be far too easy in this country to arrange an 'accident' and remove the threat to the powers that be. He may well end up being the martyr.

In the end you cannot stop the tide of history though - however hard you try. There is a new generation that wants a piece of the pie and they can't see why they can't have it. The wait has already been too long for many.

Step by step, inch by inch change is coming. Confrontation however is a very dangerous step that only plays into the hands of the reactionary forces and justifies 'control'. you lay odds they are itching for that excuse.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Unconstitutional, unethical, likely illegal, corrupt, ugly, snarly, sleazy, suspicious, bizarre, fishy, ill mannered, inconsiderate, and arrogant. 

Can anything be done about it? Why have only 1,000 people shown up for a protest? Does anyone care? Where is the anger, indignation, and refusal to accept such a miscarriage of justice? Do the Thai people have any fight in them, or is this a complete surrender to the forces of darkness? 

Jay yen, spider. All in good time!

16 hours ago, Stanaris said:

Whether his renomination was unconstitutional or not is irrelevant as pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court. Well that is my understanding but I am sure the experts on here will correct me if this is wrong.

"........pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court."

"rejecting the Move Forward party leader’s renomination as a prime ministerial candidate, and demanding that the case be forwarded to the Constitutional Court for consideration."

So, the way that I read it is that the Constitutional Court ordered Pita to step down, but the Ombudsman is now saying that that order was "unconstitutional"/illegal", and that they should reverse their decision and allow Pita's renomination to go ahead.

However, that now seems "academic" as Pita and the MFP have now effectively "thrown the towel in", and another coalition party has put forward a candidate for PM, so all this seems to be now is a face saving exercise, which as we know is of paramount importance here in Thailand! 

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

"........pita was ordered to step down due to an order from the constitutional court."

"rejecting the Move Forward party leader’s renomination as a prime ministerial candidate, and demanding that the case be forwarded to the Constitutional Court for consideration."

So, the way that I read it is that the Constitutional Court ordered Pita to step down, but the Ombudsman is now saying that that order was "unconstitutional"/illegal", and that they should reverse their decision and allow Pita's renomination to go ahead.

However, that now seems "academic" as Pita and the MFP have now effectively "thrown the towel in", and another coalition party has put forward a candidate for PM, so all this seems to be now is a face saving exercise, which as we know is of paramount importance here in Thailand! 

The Ombudsman is saying Parliaments use of rule 41 was unconstitutional.Thus has refered the use of rule 41 to not accept the renomination to the CC .

The CC acceptance of the EC Pita shares and subsequent suspension is not being challenged by the ombudsman 

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

It doesn't matter.

Votes for MF and PT alone in the election show that at least 66% of those who voted do not favour the creatures in power.

Their "Scourging of Pita" only makes them look worse. 

With each stroke of the lash hatred for them grows.

Every day they further incriminate themselves.

Every day they blindly plunge on, closer towards their tragic destiny.

Perfect.

I hope you’re right- however they have the army behind them and they have guns! As history shows they can deal with the aftermath of using them when the smoke clears.

55 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You mean unconstitutional? They have yet to rule. But yes, There's a move by a well respected lawyer to have them all bashed.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-anti-corruption-watchdog-asked-to-probe-235-senators-who-rejected-pitas-pm-bid/

See the note at the end of the article. Vendetta leader Ruangkrai (English transliteration Woongker) has asked the NACC to investigate 6 of the Senators who supported Pita. But not one of those who opposed him. This guy's a real one off wingnut.

A member of the Constitution Drafting Assembly, Sawet Thinnakul has handed a letter to the NACC yesterday seeking legal action against MPs and senators who didn’t allow Pita to stand for denomination on the 19 July. He want legal action taken against those who opposed Pita’s renominating quoting Parliamentary Rule No. 41. Payback hopefully. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40029653

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

The long weekend coming up will be a good indicator of how people will react to this.  Hopefully Bangkok office workers and students will use their days off to protest at the theft of their futures.  A big crowd on the first days may even attract upcountry people to travel to Bangkok to join in.  A small turn out, however, would be disappointing to say the least, but could well indicate a fear of the authorities and/or an air of resignation and loss of hope for that future.  Personally, I think it will be the best gauge of the feelings of the Bangkok middle classes.  I hope they move that gauge off scale.

It's that clown again:

Palang Pracharath Party member Ruangkrai Leekitwattana has asked the Constitutional Court to review the Office of the Ombudsman's decision to forward a petition from the Move Forward Party to the court. The petition seeks the court's ruling on the rejection of Pita's renomination by 394 parliamentarians. Ruangkrai questions whether the Office of the Ombudsman is defying the power of the legislative branch or not. He asks the court to rule whether the office has a duty and jurisdiction to forward the case to the court or not.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1683684345914195969

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

It's that clown again:

Palang Pracharath Party member Ruangkrai Leekitwattana has asked the Constitutional Court to review the Office of the Ombudsman's decision to forward a petition from the Move Forward Party to the court. The petition seeks the court's ruling on the rejection of Pita's renomination by 394 parliamentarians. Ruangkrai questions whether the Office of the Ombudsman is defying the power of the legislative branch or not. He asks the court to rule whether the office has a duty and jurisdiction to forward the case to the court or not.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1683684345914195969

The man is nothing but a serial filer of frivolous cases and claims and should be sued for any case rejected for defaming the individual in his false filing.

• Thumbs Up 1