Chinese man lives Thai life with only Chinese products, sparks social media debate

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

So he aspires to live in Thailand without acknowledging, or making concessions to, the culture and society in which he has planted himself.

Nothing peculiar about that..........on the pages of AN

????

Maybe you should invite him to join AN????

16 minutes ago, Enoon said:

So he aspires to live in Thailand without acknowledging, or making concessions to, the culture and society in which he has planted himself.

Actually you can do both to an extent in Thailand with its sizeable Thai-Chinese population. Somewhere like Hat Yai there are many Chinese speaking Thai, most shops display names in Thai & Chinese, we have a lot of Chinese restaurants, several traditional Chinese pharmacies, we used to have a Chinese language newspaper. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is there a law that I've missed that says expats much have a certain percentage of "Thai content" in their lives here? 

No, but given all the amazing choices to live why would anyone choose a country they're not interested in?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They do have the best food in the world. 

No such thing as the best food in the world. There's great food eveywhere. Some countries do have a greater variety than others however. What I would do to be able to pan fry a nice rainbow trout right now. The list of food I miss is extensive but I live in Thailand. I eat what's on offer or cook my own meals with available produce and products.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

His claim that his life here resembles home despite being abroad has led some to question why Thai products are seemingly absent from his routine. Indeed, even the person who delivers his food speaks Mandarin.

Home from home... many Expats prefer the delights from home...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hold your horses now, I'm not having this Chinese cuisine is the best in the world nonsense...

Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant in Thailand serving vaguely authentic Chinese food ? Average at best and at times bizarre in terms of ingredients. Westernised cantonese style food is more palatable. I do like that. 

Any cuisine (looking at you Asia) whose main culinary repertoire is chucking something into a wok with a ton of oil for a flash fry (even if it tastes good) is struggling to be taken seriously in a gastronomical sense.