Auschwitz Memorial criticizes Fox News’ Greg Gutfeld for saying Jews survived Nazi camps by being ‘useful’

Social Media

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I don't get the problem. It is common in all situations of oppression and terror. Some victims can parlay their skills into survival in spite of the horror of the situation. It does not detract from the overall horrid situation at all. 

The media is really stretching here.

Media spin. Just words. Happened long ago.

Sad how they twist everything.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

White kids can feel however they feel. The idea of teaching history is to teach history. 

Now you're telling black people how they should feel. Now, that's rich!

They should feel lucky. Most born 2000+ in the west has it easy

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I don't get the problem. It is common in all situations of oppression and terror. Some victims can parlay their skills into survival in spite of the horror of the situation. It does not detract from the overall horrid situation at all. 

The media is really stretching here.

You really don't get it? Guttfeld was using how some Jews survived Auschwitz to justify saying that some black slaves acquired useful skills while enslaved. So maybe Auschwitz and slavery weren't so terrible after all?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You really don't get it? Guttfeld was using how some Jews survived Auschwitz to justify saying that some black slaves acquired useful skills while enslaved. So maybe Auschwitz and slavery weren't so terrible after all?

Not what I got from it at all. Anyway, we are starting to do what the Dutch call "ant <removed>", trying to split a hair into more and more fibers.  

The worst part of the situation was actually the Vice President, making prepared remarks on the subject that were false. Not the banter between talking heads on a chat show. 

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

The Jews and other prisoners arriving at Auschwitz were not run through an aptitude test.  Those who looked young and strong enough to survive a few months of manual labor on a starvation diet were forced to work until they dropped.  The rest were killed shortly after they arrived.

Being young and healthy isn't a skill.

Also of course too young got the instant gas. 

There are some survival stories of kids who were smart enough to lie about their age and make the cut off. 

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your sensitivity on this subject is heart warming.

Thanks, I thought I handled it rather well myself.  These are delicate topics and need to be dealt with in a nuanced manner.

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2023 at 4:46 AM, Jingthing said:

Also of course too young got the instant gas. 

There are some survival stories of kids who were smart enough to lie about their age and make the cut off. 

The most memorable and heartbreaking sight on my Auschwitz tour 20+ years ago was a room with a big pile of baby shoes.