Restaurant owner confronts negative reviewer at their home

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, LikeItHot said:

I think I now understand the phenomenon of a single star review but the mismatched comment says "Everything was perfect".

Or the 5 star reviews you see on the e-commerce platforms.

Good, everything very good...........haven't tried it yet

Ahh, wondered when the Koh Chang story would get mentioned in this thread.  Probably a lot of differences.  Read in-depth about the Koh Chang case and it just gets more and more interesting.  In the end, TripAdvisor covered all of his legal costs (not saying I think they should have) but they were rather incensed about what transpired and said so publicly,  Apparently they may also have felt they might be somehow responsible because while they didn't post Mr. Barnes' review, they did share it with the hotel.  Maybe that explains it?

And while I never met Mr. Barnes and a short time after this transpired on Koh Chang, I had not even seen or heard the story.  Probably too busy with the early stages of the pandemic.  But I received his resume and was a little 'shocked' when I did the obligatory internet search of the applicant.  Almost more shocking than the Koh Chang event was that he had fired a gun inside a nightclub in America claiming to be a federal agent or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand has strict antiquated defamation laws ....  remember a couple of yrs back the guy in Phuket or Samui who wrote a bad hotel review and the cops grabbed him or the hotel sued him. 

You mean Koh Chang?

But yeah, they are all islands.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, akaika said:

Ahh, wondered when the Koh Chang story would get mentioned in this thread.  Probably a lot of differences.  Read in-depth about the Koh Chang case and it just gets more and more interesting.  In the end, TripAdvisor covered all of his legal costs (not saying I think they should have) but they were rather incensed about what transpired and said so publicly,  Apparently they may also have felt they might be somehow responsible because while they didn't post Mr. Barnes' review, they did share it with the hotel.  Maybe that explains it?

And while I never met Mr. Barnes and a short time after this transpired on Koh Chang, I had not even seen or heard the story.  Probably too busy with the early stages of the pandemic.  But I received his resume and was a little 'shocked' when I did the obligatory internet search of the applicant.  Almost more shocking than the Koh Chang event was that he had fired a gun inside a nightclub in America claiming to be a federal agent or something like that.

He fired a gun in a bar and had an outstanding warrant out for his arrest

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such as what, specifically?

Not capable of dealing with criticism (taking it personally, face saving, denial, angry reaction). Did the owner provide an online reply? How did the owner find the reviewer's address? Going there in person might well be interpreted as a threat.

Quick to blame others (in this case the owner says she lost business based on the bad review. Does she have any proof? Maybe there are wider issues in her business model, like reduced portions etc whci quite a few people have picked up on. Restaurants can also have quite an extreme popularity cycle. Or it could even be seasonal fluctuation.)

Quick to overreact aggressively.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, stoner said:

tum should just accept that some people may not like her food or her service. such is their right. 

welcome to the wonderful world of running a business tum. 

Hahaha, indeed. Totally naive, these Thais. No business accumen, no self awareness, no experience in customer relations, clueless as to dealing with complaints in a productive way (inviting the complainant back with a free meal, for example. Hotels mostly offer some sort of a freebie which has already been factored into the room rate)

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

From the link:

Tum further asserted that the customer is entitled to review the restaurant, denying she intended to stifle dissent. She was merely pleading for fair treatment. Emphasising that no charges would be pressed against the customer, Tum revealed that an offer to compensate the customer has been made, but the customer who left the negative review hasn’t responded to the offer yet.

So the restaurant believed they were correct yet offered a reward to remove or take-back the comment?

Hmmm

Typical Thai. Fruit basket mentality. Don't deal with any - warranted - criticism in a constructive way, instead just paper it over, mask it, make it disappear with a compensation. ROFL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginner said:

Nothing to about cooking or the food itself. It is about the size of the portion. To the Left is the advertised portion, the right is the actual portion that was received.851554074_-2023-07-31-152705.jpg.382f381f18c73b041fc90861af8f02c3.jpg

Only 50%. Customer should only have paid half price.

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unless you bother to read the link that the OP came from!  Full details and full outcome, and the point explained.

So many here comment without reading the full story, it has become boring.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand has strict antiquated defamation laws ....  remember a couple of yrs back the guy in Phuket or Samui who wrote a bad hotel review and the cops grabbed him or the hotel sued him. 

Was Koh Chang. FM he apologized with a Wai and settled out of court. The guy was a dickhead, and complained about a corkage fee of 50b, that was clear on their menu, after taking his own bottle of gin inside.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

Leaving a "bad" if its warranted or reflects accuracy isn't being a "keyboard warrior". Seems the writter was slightly biased on they story by this comment.

your post is only valid because you used the word "if" - which indicates that you are aware bad reviews these days can be received for no toher reason than some self-entitled idiot getting the hump because there butt wasn't kissed. But the fallout from a bad review can be huge. 

Reviews are never fact checked which makes it easy for idiots to "wield" their power unjustly. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

People can't face the truth in Thailand. A negative review means that there was something wrong in the eyes of the customer.. A reason to pay attention to by the restaurant to improve things.. Only 5 stars ratings are unbelievable as everyone all over the world aren't perfect. But Thailand is more worried about losing face than live in the real world.

you clearly haven't spent years building a business - unjust bad reveiws are infuriating. If your not happy speak to them before you leave......dont scurry home rubbing your hands together with bad intentions. Deal with it right there and then and who knows you might have your bill "taken care of" on top of receiving an apology. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

you clearly haven't spent years building a business - unjust bad reveiws are infuriating. If your not happy speak to them before you leave......dont scurry home rubbing your hands together with bad intentions. Deal with it right there and then and who knows you might have your bill "taken care of" on top of receiving an apology. 

nonsense .... I seriously doubt consumers go to all the trouble of writing a negative review just because they didn't get their ' butt kissed '  as you interpreted

I agree unjust bad reviews would be very bad for business,  but why would anyone want to write a bad review unless it was warranted,  and having said that and stayed at many hotels, resorts and cafes in Thailand, I can understand why many Thai businesses get them,  because they haven't got a clue about customer service, noise pollution, food hygiene, on site safety and many other areas associated with getting things correct and in order.     

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

First you don't know me or my background and secondly if you can't handle critics don't do anything, as nobody/business/ or whatever is perfect and without mistakes. Never heard in a Western country that a owner of a shop went to a customer because of something like this.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Exactly. If I look at reviews I look at several, many. If there is one bad review and 10 good ones then that tells me what I want to know. Why did the owner get so upset over one negative review that she made time and effort to track down where the customer lives and then go and challenge them? Why does the owner blame losing customers (as she claims) on one review? Any proof of that?

Nope. Just an immature, undeveloped personality, over reacting to criticism. Likely a result of terribly low self esteem. I would recommend 3,000 hours of therapy. LOL. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nonsense .... I seriously doubt consumers go to all the trouble of writing a negative review just because they didn't get their ' butt kissed '  as you interpreted

I agree unjust bad reviews would be very bad for business,  but why would anyone want to write a bad review unless it was warranted,  and having said that and stayed at many hotels, resorts and cafes in Thailand, I can understand why many Thai businesses get them,  because they haven't got a clue about customer service, noise pollution, food hygiene, on site safety and many other areas associated with getting things correct and in order.     

Do you genuinely think the Thais are bad at customer service?

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

when you order the real size turns up

True, I've experienced the same case even in Japan. The food photo was 2 pieces of fish and when I received the food on the table there was only one. I called the waiter and I showed him the menu photo, the answer was an angry face ???? only. Cheaters expect customer just be a dog, eat, pay and leave with no complain. 

• Like 1

"The customer is always right"  that's definitely not a Thai saying,

but my father instilled it into me ,and that how I ran my businesses,

obviously they weren't always ,but you had to let them think they were,a

lost customer ,is lost money , If it cost something to keep them happy,

OK you could always find a way to recoup it, ,with a lost ,unhappy

customer ,you lost their business and could harm your reputation.  

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, The Theory said:

True, I've experienced the same case even in Japan. The food photo was 2 pieces of fish and when I received the food on the table there was only one. I called the waiter and I showed him the menu photo, the answer was an angry face ???? only. Cheaters expect customer just be a dog, eat, pay and leave with no complain. 

I always count the number of chips on the menu photo, just incase they try to have me over.

• Love It 1