Haier Air Conditioners Cassette Type. Anyone have any experience with them.

Longwood50

I am building a new home and have a large area that combines the kitchen, dining room, and living room. I believe that it would be advisable to install one of the cassette type air conditioners that can blow air in 4 directions. 

I have done some preliminary research and yes Daikan and Mitsubishi top the list of reccomended units.  However one brand Haier is about 1/3 rd less money and has a higher SEER rating.  Has anyone had experience with Haier Air conditioners particularly the cassette type.  One thing that is always mentioned when speaking about AC is the availability of spare parts if it is a brand other than Daikan or Mitsubishi. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In case you didn't think about this: cassette type air conditioners are often big; you need a lot of space above your ceiling. 

That is rather general and non specific. The unit probably is around 250mm above the ceiling, you may need 1 metre clearance. Neither of those measurements classifies as “a lot of space” unless you are in a condominium.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In case you didn't think about this: cassette type air conditioners are often big; you need a lot of space above your ceiling. 

For both Mitsubishi Electric and Daikin cassette type AC units the height of the physical units range from 270-345mm and are supported by rods suspended from the roof steelwork, so only 500mm space or more is require to mount them flush with the ceiling.

See the recent installation of our 24K BTU Daikin unit below:

1688291172398.thumb.jpg.20c36d7cc9d2ec6fa3c0814de4b8ad7b.jpg

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

One thing that is always mentioned when speaking about AC is the availability of spare parts if it is a brand other than Daikan or Mitsubishi.

That is why we went with Daikin... spare parts are readily available all over the country.

Our initial preference was Mitsubishi Electric (not Heavy Industries) but due to a shortage of the exact model we wanted and a forecast 6 month lead time for new supply, we opted to go with Daikin.

No other makes or models were entertained (even though some suppliers tried to sell us alternative models or old stock).

Do your homework first... and stick to your guns when shopping... the results will be exactly what you want.

9 minutes ago, Encid said:

For both Mitsubishi Electric and Daikin cassette type AC units the height of the physical units range from 270-345mm and are supported by rods suspended from the roof steelwork, so only 500mm space or more is require to mount them flush with the ceiling.

See the recent installation of our 24K BTU Daikin unit below:

1688291172398.thumb.jpg.20c36d7cc9d2ec6fa3c0814de4b8ad7b.jpg

51 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

you may need 1 metre clearance.

While the actual space occupied by the unit from the top of the ceiling the requirements are from 250mm to under 400mm, I wasn’t clear that the 1 metre clearance recommended was from the ceiling not the top of the cassette unit, so total clearance is 1 metre. Only a problem for condo living.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Pros: hidden in the ceiling. 
Cons: expensive and more difficult to maintain.

Haier, stay away from.

Daikin/Mitsubishi, good choices. 

(Just bought a house and decided against cassette type A/Cs and took the common wall-mounted ones.)

I fitted a 36,000 BTU single phase Fujitsu cassette unit, More expensive than Daikin and Mitsubishi but you get what you pay for, it was the only one that would reverse cycle and heat.

A few years ago in Chiang Rai we had more than a week where the temperature hardly broke 11° C

Just make sure whatever you buy is inverter.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:17 AM, Longwood50 said:

Mitsubishi. 

Great experience in our household, 8 air conditioners.

They've got a dry mode to reduce humidity that uses 50-60% less electricity.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I fitted a 36,000 BTU single phase Fujitsu cassette unit, More expensive than Daikin and Mitsubishi but you get what you pay for, it was the only one that would reverse cycle and heat.

A few years ago in Chiang Rai we had more than a week where the temperature hardly broke 11° C

Just make sure whatever you buy is inverter.

That information helped me decide on an air conditioning system for my house in the U.S. of A..  

I am not sure how much that is helping to save on electricity, due to the basic cost of electricty having gone up over the winter after it was installed.  

On 8/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, CecilM said:

Pros: hidden in the ceiling. 
Cons: expensive and more difficult to maintain.

Haier, stay away from.

Daikin/Mitsubishi, good choices. 

(Just bought a house and decided against cassette type A/Cs and took the common wall-mounted ones.)

While they are more expensive (and worth it), they are not more difficult to maintain. They actually require less frequent maintenance because of the much greater filter area, and because the condensate is pumped out rather than relying on gravity, so the drains do not clog. 

They do not actually need a ceiling to function correctly, they just look better with a ceiling. 

I like Carrier for price, service and warranty. 

Do not buy anything with aluminum coils. 

• Thumbs Up 1