Trump charged with four counts over 2020 election

Social Media

38 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

For the record it is sarcasm - I'm not  yet braindead nor brainwashed to the eleventh degree.

Inadvertently a totally palatable translation of 3rd Indictment in readable form to the MAGA crowd: succinct, easy to understand and most importantly, citing all the proper charges - and the "real criminal" (Biden).

The guy is obviously not happy! :biggrin:

(Sorry mods, the original text is in caps)

"NO WAY I CAN GET A FAIR TRIAL, OR EVEN CLOSE TO A FAIR TRIAL, IN WASHINGTON, D.C. THERE ARE MANY REASONS FOR THIS, BUT JUST ONE IS THAT I AM CALLING FOR A FEDERAL TAKEOVER OF THIS FILTHY AND CRIME RIDDEN EMBARRASSMENT TO OUR NATION,  WHERE MURDERS HAVE JUST SHATTERED THE ALL TIME RECORD, OTHER VIOLENT CRIMES HAVE NEVER NEEN WORSE, AND TOURISTS HAVE FLED. THE FEDERAL TAKEOVER IS VERY UNPOPULAR WITH POTENTIAL AREA JURORS, BUT NECESSARY FOR SAFETY, GREATNESS, & FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE!"

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-freaks-over-pelosis-sad-161511234.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Word has leaked into the US mediasphere that DT's lawyers were expecting the charges to be about the rally before the Capitol attack, about the inciting language, the noose, and so on.  Seems the fake electors charges caught them off guard.  Only the best people . . .

Here's what I'm waiting for:

recall the story Cassidy Hutchinson conveyed about DT wanting to go to the Capitol, grabbed the steering wheel, etc?  I don't believe that happened, I think DT cooked that up for the sake of the MAGA crowd, an "I wanted to be there but they wouldn't let me" excuse.  The steering wheel bit is the 'laying it on too thick' part.  She wasn't in the car, the story was told to her by one of DT's handlers.

• Like 1

Even lies are protected speech: New Trump indictment bulldozes the First Amendment

BY JONATHAN TURLEY, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 05/AUG/23 

The latest federal indictment of former President Donald Trump was handed down this week with all of the authority of papal infallibility. Pundits lined up to proclaim that case as the greatest prosecution in history.

(skip) In order to secure convictions for this, Special Counsel Jack Smith would need to bulldoze through not just the First Amendment but also existing case law holding that even false statements are protected.

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/4137650-even-lies-are-protected-speech-new-trump-indictment-bulldozes-the-first-amendment/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Word has leaked into the US mediasphere that DT's lawyers were expecting the charges to be about the rally before the Capitol attack, about the inciting language, the noose, and so on.  Seems the fake electors charges caught them off guard.  Only the best people . . .

Here's what I'm waiting for:

recall the story Cassidy Hutchinson conveyed about DT wanting to go to the Capitol, grabbed the steering wheel, etc?  I don't believe that happened, I think DT cooked that up for the sake of the MAGA crowd, an "I wanted to be there but they wouldn't let me" excuse.  The steering wheel bit is the 'laying it on too thick' part.  She wasn't in the car, the story was told to her by one of DT's handlers.

and cassidy was very specific in saying she did not personally view the grab steering wheel but one of the security guys who was in the car told her that happened.....and of course she was attacked for even telling the story but she was trying her best to share all that she saw and heard abd that certainly was worth relating what she had been told.........and we all know that a security guard or any older guy would never ever tell a pretty single gal like cassidy a few whopers to try and impress her with what an important person he was...

.i also doubt it happened as trump is a coward and likely was terrified that he might get his hair messed up if he really went to the capital....

8 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Possibly Mr. Pence's ( Vise P ) testimony IF he takes the stand during trial will bury Trump.......

It could help to be sure that beeing said he’s allready done a pretty good job of it with his big mouth lmao ???? 

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Enlighten us Lou. Please tell us about indictments made without facts or evidence to back them up.

A grand jury is a group of people selected to sit on a jury that decide whether the prosecutor's evidence provides probable cause to issue an indictment. (my italics)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/grand_jury

(my words) So a grand jury can say it is likely that A robbed B but does not have to say it is a fact that A robbed B.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, pomchop said:

then they vote whether or not that beyond a reasonable doubt they believe he is quilty or they find a reasonable doubt and find him innocent. 

The burden of proof for grand juries is "probable cause". "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is the burden of proof at trial.

The possible defendant submits no claims or evidence at a grand jury hearing.

Edited by jerrymahoney

13 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Hectoring and threatening the person(s) who can hold your fate is not a smart thing to do.  Yet he does.  Is it insanity yet?

Oh he’s a nutter all rite!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Once again for starting the bleeding obvious - it is a satirical, acerbic, acid or caustic comment of the highest order.

For every fair-minded individual in possession of his mental faculties -

the one and only Real POTUS 45 is 

An abominal man, dishonest to the core, only concerned with himself, having at best scant regard to democratic principles and the Constitution.

Good to hear.

This kind of humor doesn't work anymore, at least not in US politics.  Look through any thread on this subject.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The burden of proof for grand juries is "probable cause". "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is the burden of proof at trial.

The possible defendant submits no claims or evidence at a grand jury hearing.

Yet sometimes they can and do.

"A defendant, or person under investigation by the Grand Jury has a right to testify in the Grand Jury. However, this right must be asserted by the defense counsel through what's called a Cross – 190.50(5) Notice (abbreviated as x-190.50 notice).Nov 17, 2020"

https://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.com/criminal-process/grand-jury-overview/rights-of-accused-at-grand-jury/

An accused has no right to testify at a N.J. grand jury. However, the prosecutor may extend an invitation for a defendant or target of investigation to testify. Under this circumstance, a defendant will have the “privilege” of testifying provided he waives his Miranda rights and right to counsel as defense attorneys are not permitted to be present at grand jury proceedings.

• Like 1