British chain Costa Coffee faces boycott calls over transgender illustration

Social Media

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said, I doubt most people would have linked it to surgery, that was until those who did started to protest.

It was pretty obvious to me. I recognized what it was straight away. But everyone is different. How about being respectful of everyone and just keeping portrayals of mastectomys out of coffee shops?

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Kids certainly would not have noticed.

They might or might not. But kids are curious and likely to ask their parents what it is. Then the parent has to either have a difficult conversation or lie. How about we avoid putting them in that situation and letting them enjoy their coffee by keeping portrayals of mastectomys out of coffee shops?

I wouldn't have even noticed and gone ahead and ordered my coffee oblivious to the graffiti poster.

I wouldn't have noticed unless it was specifically pointed out to me. I also don't understand what the connection is to coffee?, but that's probably me being old fashioned.

I don't sit and read or actually look at graffiti in the UK underground or subways or anywhere else to be honest.

A Banksy mural would just be wasted on me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe you wouldn't. 

How about a woman who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer? What image will that conjure up for them? 

What about a young kid asking their mother what it is. Is that a conversation the mother necessarily wants to have (or to have to make up a story to avoid having) at that particular time? Maybe they prefer just to sit and talk about their favourite flavour ice cream? 

Like I said, just leave it out. It's not appropriate in that setting. 

Bigotry is never appropriate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Strawman.

Objecting to this is not anti trans at all. I just don't want cartoons of someone with scars from double mastectomy surgery staring me in the face when I drink a coffee.

I wouldn't want a cartoon of someone with scars from a liver transplant either, that doesn't make me anti alcohol. I wouldn't want a cartoon of someone with scars from breast enhancement surgery, that doesn't make me anti large baps. There's just no place for it in that environment, it's inappropriate. 

Greggs have large baps.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You missed Nazi and Fascist again ????.

I just prefer not to be reminded of surgery to remove body parts while having a cappuccino. 

Nobody is forcing you to go to their shop and drink their coffee. If you want to boycott them, please go ahead.

Just let other people drink the coffee that THEY want to drink in peace.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It was pretty obvious to me. I recognized what it was straight away. But everyone is different. How about being respectful of everyone and just keeping portrayals of mastectomys out of coffee shops?

They might or might not. But kids are curious and likely to ask their parents what it is. Then the parent has to either have a difficult conversation or lie. How about we avoid putting them in that situation and letting them enjoy their coffee by keeping portrayals of mastectomys out of coffee shops?

What’s difficult about discussing these issues with your own kids?

And can you tell us which coffee shops are displaying images of mastectomis within their premises?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Just as you are free to be an angry, bitter individual who resorts to hurling insults around when they have clearly lost the debate. 

Not saying you are of course. Just that you are free to be, should you choose such a path. ????

What was that you mentioned about hurling insults around?

Of course you are saying he is.

You even posted for anybody to see.

2 hours ago, Peabody said:

Which part of "woke" causes one to become bankrupt?

image.jpeg.3835905504968680b1eab1b9d105c560.jpeg

Another one for JonnyF

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Go Woke, Go Broke.

https://www.memphisflyer.com/the-10-commandments-of-woke

1   Visit a Park.

2   Read a Banned Book.

3   Be a Voice for Choice.

4   Consume Real News.

5   Don’t Spread BS.

6   Speak Your Mind.

7   Don’t Fear History.

8   Stand Up for Gun Reform. 

9   Do Say Gay.

10  Believe in Science.

The explanations are in the text of the link if anybody is interested enough to read it.

I would have posted them but my post would have been too long.

Go Woke, Go Broke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Maybe, we are anti about encouraging girls to take puberty blockers as a tween and then cut off her breasts as a teen.

Maybe, we think it shouldn't be supported or normalized -- and definitely not taught to children who are often confused and impressionable.

Advertisements are insidious by nature, that's how they work.

Might as well glamorize wrist cutting. Put that up in the coffee shop window. Free razor blade with your coffee???? See how crazy it is??

I'd support them if they had a mental health awareness advertisment, but not cutting off breasts or any form of genital mutilation.

“Advertisements are insidious by nature, that's how they work.”

I’m glad we agree on something.

Now all we need to do is examine the impact of advertising on young people to determine where the real harm is being inflicted.

My money is on a host of other things that the rightwing will eagerly defend.

Look again at the image in the OP, all this outrage over a cartoon. 

Meanwhile the number of young people suffering body dysmorphia as a result of unrealistic portrayals of beauty in advertising borders on epidemic:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5803/cmselect/cmhealth/114/report.html

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I think the general objection is to having politics injected into every aspect of our lives, down to the coffee we buy in the morning.  Companies don't need to have 'stances' on every social issue, they just need to make good products.  

I am waiting for the next image from Costa, this time a white guy with no tattoos or piercings but wearing a crucifix around his neck. And drinking a coffee. 

Think I'll be waiting a long time. And IF such an image were to grace their shop, it would be met with howls of protest and outrage from certain elements of the noisy left. 

And yet here you are engaging if in political discussion.

But a nice try at inventing some ‘’howls of protest and outrage from certain elements of the noisy left’

Just incase you missed it, the OP is based on howls of protest and outrage from certain elements of the noisy right.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In other words -- white wash, straight wash, Christian wash, cis wash everything. The perfect dystopian world for the bigot brigade.

Costa is one of my favourite coffee shops.  I don't want to be staring at advertising that I find offensive to me on a cup of coffee.  This is all turning political, which is divisive.  Might as well have Trump (or Biden) propaganda on it, that would still offend me.

Oh, and one of my best friends is trans.  Still won't get me going to a Pride event though.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I call B.S.

Everyone is assumed to be straight unless they show something suggesting otherwise. EVERYONE.

The same with Christian in a majority Christian country. Etc.

If you don't acknowledge that, we have zero basis for a discussion. 

Majority of people, tends to mean NORMAL.

Normal means: 1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural. 2. serving to establish a standard.

Your argument just doesn't hold water.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Maybe, we are anti about encouraging girls to take puberty blockers as a tween and then cut off her breasts as a teen.

Maybe, we think it shouldn't be supported or normalized -- and definitely not taught to children who are often confused and impressionable.

Advertisements are insidious by nature, that's how they work.

Might as well glamorize wrist cutting. Put that up in the coffee shop window. Free razor blade with your coffee???? See how crazy it is??

I'd support them if they had a mental health awareness advertisment, but not cutting off breasts or any form of genital mutilation.

Oh dear. 

Enough said, 

You've proved my point about what sort of snowflakes support this anti trans rubbish ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Interesting, they didn't show the horrific side of this surgery though.

And how do you think they feel after it's done??

I've read accounts of girls who got them removed at 17 and by the time they got to 21 they were suicidal. They said they hated how they looked after surgery and felt like a freak. They wanted they old body back.

Why don't they treat this condition with mental health therapy, rather than a scalpel? Can you explain?

Are you saying psychologists and psychiatrists aren’t engaged in treating young people suffering gender dysmorphia? 

Let’s check and see:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/treatment/

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Well, I am aghast. I like the taste of A & W coffee, and the big M coffee.

Star bucks is too strong.  Why does a coffee company need to get mixed up in

the rest of the worlds problems anyway.  ALM to me any. That is All lives matter, not just

some special interest groups. NSO, that is me, Normal Straight and Old. 

• Thanks 1