Google Maps issue

bignok

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When was the last time you noticed a map on sale, for any given area, having any detail.

Even 1999/2000/2001 when I relied on them, there was limited supply, and they were not that informative.

Especially for Krung Thep, as you didn't know what roads were one way, or where all the U-turns were.

Gmaps make driving a pleasure, along with making you 'stupid', if not paying attention.

Sure there's plenty of folks, that if they lose their signal, they are truly lost and haven't clue where they are.

When Gmaps has an oops, again, especially Krung Thep, when you knew it said straight for another km, then all of the sudden its telling you to make 3 right turns .... yea, need to look ahead of yourself, and have a ballpark idea where the next turn is.

I got 2 offline map apps but they have less attractions. Handy for basic navigation.

Yeah I know Google sometimes wrong. I plan by map, drive by eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

why are you talking about how you use it ? 

Because it is the only way I know to get me to where I want to go safely, and with an accurate arrival time. And believe it or not, it is always EXACTLY correct.

22 minutes ago, stoner said:

seems like a lot of extra work. why not just use a good old map at that point. 

How do you read a 'good old map' whilst driving safely.

Google Maps is great for finding somewhere once you get to the town/city/village/countryside view. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Because it is the only way I know to get me to where I want to go safely, and with an accurate arrival time. And believe it or not, it is always EXACTLY correct.

How do you read a 'good old map' whilst driving safely.

Google Maps is great for finding somewhere once you get to the town/city/village/countryside view. 

Yes ... I'm continually impressed with Gmaps.   Simply is amazing.  Listings of anything and everything, reviews, and streetview.

It really is my 1 stop research tool.  Cross reference with other apps/sites, but find it more and more redundant when doing, than really helpful.

Even starting to catch and list most of the EV Charging Station, which it was way behind on.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, stoner said:

seems like a lot of extra work. why not just use a good old map at that point. 

Errrrr.

Because I am driving and the phone isn't built for my fat fingers.

My trip is in black and white on paper, not some google map spinning out of control (Warning Will Robinson!) telling me "Do This & Don't Do That".

And, <deleted>..."good old maps" (hard copy) are hard to find

Love driving and exploring.. Cheers????????

20 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Errrrr.

My trip is in black and white on paper, not some google map spinning out of control (Warning Will Robinson!) telling me "Do This & Don't Do That".

Indeed, paper maps are like hen's teeth.  Coming here in 2004, from the UK, where we had/have excellent Ordnance Survey maps, it was a bit of a shock to find that local maps of the Pattaya area were next to impossible to find.  Those that did exist seemed to be more a work of fiction, rather than reality.  It was crazy - I forget how many times I got hopelessly lost trying to find Mabprachan Lake, which is really not very far away!

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Indeed, paper maps are like hen's teeth.  Coming here in 2004, from the UK, where we had/have excellent Ordnance Survey maps, it was a bit of a shock to find that local maps of the Pattaya area were next to impossible to find.  Those that did exist seemed to be more a work of fiction, rather than reality.  It was crazy - I forget how many times I got hopelessly lost trying to find Mabprachan Lake, which is really not very far away!

Pattaya maps = bars.????????

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

The OP is talking about using Google Maps on his phone. There was no mention of him using it for live navigation.

It is also one of my pet peeves that landmarks and road names appear and disappear apparently at random when you are zooming in and out. I doubt there's any way to change this behaviour, unfortunately. But I would be happy to be proved wrong.

On my phone I can go street view to see road number and signs or when zooming in or out on road map a road number does show on and off on occasion I find.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How do you read a 'good old map' whilst driving safely

Again... The OP has never mentioned using the map while driving.

As others have pointed out, just because you only use Google Maps for navigation, other people use it for other things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Errrrr.

Stoner suggested using an old map, then you say you cannot use G Maps because your fingers are too fat. How do you make phone calls or do anything else on your phone?

Then you say you use a map. Hmmmmm.

On 8/2/2023 at 4:34 AM, bignok said:

When I zoom in I lose the road number. How do i see all the road numbers?

Try to search for the specific road number, then a marker might show up on the map.

Wish I knew the answer to that tooGoogle Maps is fab and have used it nearly every day for years, but the issue you raise has always been an irksome flaw which is in serious need of fixing. Seems so simple, but it's been a problem since the inception of Maps. 

On 8/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, KannikaP said:

I DO NOT need to look at Google Maps. A nice lady tells me exactly which way to turn. And there is an indication at the top of the screen telling the future turns.

You can then zoom in or ask more when you get to your destination. Or download the information in advance.

Love Google Maps.

Although we have noted that sometimes the lady giving instructions likes to take us on "adventures". The Wife thinks the direction lady is jealous of my following the Wife's instructions (Thai).

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Although we have noted that sometimes the lady giving instructions likes to take us on "adventures". The Wife thinks the direction lady is jealous of my following the Wife's instructions (Thai).

Yes. Wifey and I have been on some adventures in outlying provincial areas, courtesy of the nice lady.

Always good fun but expensive on fuel driving around in circles.????????

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Try to search for the specific road number, then a marker might show up on the map.

????????‍♂️ What if he doesn't know the name of the road number he's looking at? Presumably that's the whole reason he's zooming in; so he can read the road number!

On 8/2/2023 at 12:44 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Incorrect.

I often end up at the intersection of Einbahnstrasse and Feuerwehr.

i had the same problem in France, spent years looking for 'Toutes Directions'.

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fair enuff.

Bkk & GPS probably work.

Provinces and outlying areas, maybe not.

Very few areas where signal is lost.  Only the most rural, in which not a whole lot of roads to choose from to get lost.

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

????????‍♂️ What if he doesn't know the name of the road number he's looking at? Presumably that's the whole reason he's zooming in; so he can read the road number!

Presumptions, he didn't say that, he only asked about road number.