IMAX -I don't get the hype

LaosLover

Went to; National Science and Media Museum (as it is now called) in Bradford, UK when they opened the first IMAX cinema in Europe in 1983. Saw two films; one about atoms and the other about the Space Shuttle. Apparently 70mm film running horizontally. Very impressive.

I don't like it much.  And I hate those theatres that have the interaction theme.  Air blown in your face, rain drops, perfume scents, and the seat moves and rocks, noise increased during intense moments.  I think it was 50 bucks I almost vomited gave me a big headache and I left way early what a waste.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

They shoot the movie in proper IMAX format and film rolls but then it gets converted to digital with a low 4k resolution and bitrate with visual blur for most cinemas. You can even see artifacts from the encoding like tearing during certain movements. What a shame.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't like it much.  And I hate those theatres that have the interaction theme.  Air blown in your face, rain drops, perfume scents, and the seat moves and rocks, noise increased during intense moments.  I think it was 50 bucks I almost vomited gave me a big headache and I left way early what a waste.

9d cinema. I did that. Rollercoaster movie. Do it once enough.

We went to the Indiana Jones movie....

I thought about seeing it in 4D....Then decided I really didn't want to spend 2.5 hours sitting in something akin to a long Disney ride....

IMAX, when done right, can be a nice, wow experience....

At best, the new IJ flik is a parody of better days better left in the past.....

Edited by pgrahmm

15 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Just saw Oppenheimer in an IMAX theatre. It's a bigger (and slightly blurrier) screen; it a loud boom when the have an explosion. But it's no biggie.

To be fair at Chiang Mai Central Festival IMAX, they had the screen, but not the (possibly) important IMAX film stock itself, which the internet tells me is peak IMAX. I went to such a theatre (at a museum) where they had the film and the magic IMAX projector and it did seem more floaty in space.

Have you seen an IMAX film? If there was a film you wanted to see and they had an IMAX. version, would you make a special trip?

What was the last film of any kind you saw in a theatre? Are there any theatre-worthy films coming out for you? I def want to see Ridley Scott's Napoleon, possibly at an IMAX (a full on IMAX). That's a Siam Square excursion.

I took my mother in law to see 50 Shades of Grey. Grey was asked, "How many women have been in this bed?" Grey said, "50".

My mother-in-law said, "I hope he flipped that mattress over".

Braveheart might be good

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Spoiler alert!

True enough.

Oppenheimer review: A really excellent movie that I won't watch again. It's def a one and done.

It makes the world of physicists really come alive and explains the complicated political processes of the day in an engrossing way. The acting is great. At 3 hours, it only seems a little long.

It reminded me of The Big Short, another superb film that covered a complicated subject, but lacked the visual drama to be a compelling movie.

It's sort of like The Aviator crossed with The Big Short; Big ego meets big problem, with a lot pretty scenery tossed into the mix.

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I'd like the 4d cinema if the seats were more comfortable. I watched Jurassic Park in one and enjoyed it, apart from being booted around like a ragdoll for the sections where they were driving in a car over rough terrain. Having a curry and a few beers beforehand probably wasn't the best idea either.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, LaosLover said:

Just saw Oppenheimer in an IMAX theatre

I too just saw the movie at a regular screening at Major Cineplex Central Rama 2. I'd say about 85-90% is closeup dialog that really nullifies paying for high-tech screening. The theater had only 8 seat rows and IMAX not available. 

• Thanks 1

'Terminator' was the last movie I watched in a theater.

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why watch any movie twice?

Why eat steak twice? Why visit a beach twice? Why kiss the same woman twice?

In a word; enjoyable. Maybe even more than twice.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

'Terminator' was the last movie I watched in a theater.

Why eat steak twice? Why visit a beach twice? Why kiss the same woman twice?

In a word; enjoyable. Maybe even more than twice.

Steak tastes nice

Some women taste nice

Movies are fake. Why would you watch a fake video twice?

• Confused 2

On 8/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, The Fugitive said:

Went to; National Science and Media Museum (as it is now called) in Bradford, UK when they opened the first IMAX cinema in Europe in 1983. Saw two films; one about atoms and the other about the Space Shuttle. Apparently 70mm film running horizontally. Very impressive.

Same here.  Would like to see more, Napoleon will be brilliant.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bignok said:

What about hate-watching? I've seen Sex In The City 2 at least 10 times. It is a Red Pill masterpiece.

Or something to show people when they ask you why you moved to Thailand to have sex.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

What about hate-watching? I've seen Sex In The City 2 at least 10 times. It is a Red Pill masterpiece.

Or something to show people when they ask you why you moved to Thailand to have sex.

Not sure why. Do you read novels 10 times?

23 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Your thread has been effectively killed by the notorious forum "body-snatching" troll. Be aware next time "it" lurks around.

• Haha 1

Yeah, like a J.Conrad or a B.Traven? It could happen.

It's more of a young-thing, like when we all listened to Dark Side Of The Moon 200 times.

But you were born old. And very sensible. Except when it comes to rural Asian dating.

I saw IMAX at an amusement park in the late 70's, back then it was called "Incred-O-Dome". Guests could either sit on reclining benches or lie on the floor to experience a full 360 degree virtual experience, whether it be skydiving or virtually riding the newest coaster. Over the years I've seen many IMAX films and documentaries, it's always been a disappointment, a gimmick. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Certain films such as Bladerunner (original 1982 version) are so impressive that you tend to notice extra things each time you watch. Plus, in the meantime, you may have read about how and where the scenes were shot. You are then watching for the camerawork techniques.