Pheu Thai breaking with Move Forward to form its own coalition

snoop1130

It will be interesting to see who is in the 'new' coalition.  PT + BMJ + the little parties from the old coalition still only add up to about 225 votes.  Even if the Senate votes for Sretta they still need more votes to have a majority in Parliament.  I expect that PPP will join them with another 40 votes.

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I posted this on another thread before this one popped up and I have slightly edited it.

PTP have dumped MFP and will form a coalition and I would expect government. They also said (reported elsewhere and cannot be sourced i.e. BP) they would reform and ammend the constitution and this seems to be in relation to the appointed senators and call a new general election. Interesting politics indeed. Let's see what happens. PTP must show their support base they have not betrayed them. MFP will be opposion but if PTP and MFP vote as a block in the house of reps along with the other coalition partners they will have the numbers to change the constitution and bring about a new election. All PTP parlimentarians would have to cross the floor to vote with the opposition MFP.  Talk about political machernations. It's insane and all because of 250 appointed generals by the coup leadership to entrench their power and override any democratic election result that threatens it.

The more I think about this the more intersting it becomes. PTP could actually be like 5th columnists in plain sight and cross the floor and vote against the government i.e. itself and it's military/conservative/royalist coalition or abstain on basically every vote. Is this actually possible?

I read this also.

Its too good to be true. I smell a rat. 

I think this is part of the smoke and mirrors to placate the PT masses for when Settha doesnt get the votes and there is no choice for PT but to join up with Prawit and Anutin as per their plan from the footy match in the UK.  

The deal is Prawits power for Thanksins return. Thaksin to PT: Make it happen. Prawit to Anutin: Do as you're told. 

Of course I could be completely wrong and hope I am.  

In any case if it doesnt go the juntas way they have so many options up their filthy sleeves to keep them in power.  

• Like 1

In my opinion, the problem is more complex and at the root. How many Thais are there who vote and who are really informed about politics? There are but they are a clear minority, most of them are either uninformed or (worse) informed through social networks full of fake news. The Oranges have exploited this situation, focusing on populist themes that are easy to grasp but secondary for the country, hiding their true aims. In addition to the notorious abolition of the lese majeste law, they winked at the students with the proposal to abolish uniforms and at the lgbtq+ community with the promise of making mixed marriages and sex changes legal on documents. The senate of the unelected is part of this perspective, to prevent someone, relying on populist arguments, from overthrowing the entire constitutional structure, delivering the country into the hands of amateurs who are totally unprepared on major economic issues or with rather bizarre and anachronistic, such as fighting monopolies to favor small industry, which would be a perfect self-defeating move to cut off the legs of companies with the most potential at an international level.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'll rephrase it then. What the people think or how they vote is irrelevant. They get the government that is chosen for them. It's been going on for around 80 years so far, so how much longer will it take? The shining light, a new young leader with progressive ideas, has been brushed aside as if swatting a wasp away.

No

Move Forward had most of the votes, PT was 2nd. In the moment it looks like PT will lead the next government, without Move Forward. That is a change from Prayut.

Many of us would have preferred a bigger change, but it is wrong to say nothing happened.

And until now this story is not over. Let's see what will happen in the next weeks and months. 

It also happens in so called first world countries that the party with the most votes doesn't lead the government. 

The Pheu Thai party has been the highest trending topic on social media in Thailand, since they announced their break from the Move Forward party, tearing up the MOU they both signed after the May 14th general election.

Many Pheu Thai supporters have turned to social media to make their profound dissatisfaction with Pheu Thai’s decision very clear.

The trending hashtag #เพื่อไทยการละคร (Pheu Thai the theatre) has been mentioned almost a million times, while #เพื่อใคร (for who?) and #มันจบแล้วครับ (it’s over) have been trending since last night across social media platforms.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-in-social-media-storm-after-parting-ways-with-move-forward/

Seripisut, the one MP party leader and ex police chief, who caused controversy last week when he suggested MF leave the coalition, has done it again.

At a press conference he condemned the protesters who burnt effigies at the front of PT's HQ, saying they could get up to 8 tears jail each.

Then he talked about Yok, the girl barred from her school for refusing to wear a uniform.

'If she was my daughter, I'd kill her and dispose of the body.'

Whoa!

3 hours ago, Icardi said:

In my opinion, the problem is more complex and at the root. How many Thais are there who vote and who are really informed about politics? There are but they are a clear minority, most of them are either uninformed or (worse) informed through social networks full of fake news. The Oranges have exploited this situation, focusing on populist themes that are easy to grasp but secondary for the country, hiding their true aims. In addition to the notorious abolition of the lese majeste law, they winked at the students with the proposal to abolish uniforms and at the lgbtq+ community with the promise of making mixed marriages and sex changes legal on documents. The senate of the unelected is part of this perspective, to prevent someone, relying on populist arguments, from overthrowing the entire constitutional structure, delivering the country into the hands of amateurs who are totally unprepared on major economic issues or with rather bizarre and anachronistic, such as fighting monopolies to favor small industry, which would be a perfect self-defeating move to cut off the legs of companies with the most potential at an international level.

So, essentially, your point is that little brown people aren't fit to have the vote!

Well at least you have made your enlightened views on "realpolitik" clear!

Next time don't forget to sign off with a rousing chorus of " the country belongs to us"!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The Pheu Thai party has been the highest trending topic on social media in Thailand, since they announced their break from the Move Forward party, tearing up the MOU they both signed after the May 14th general election.

Many Pheu Thai supporters have turned to social media to make their profound dissatisfaction with Pheu Thai’s decision very clear.

The trending hashtag #เพื่อไทยการละคร (Pheu Thai the theatre) has been mentioned almost a million times, while #เพื่อใคร (for who?) and #มันจบแล้วครับ (it’s over) have been trending since last night across social media platforms.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-in-social-media-storm-after-parting-ways-with-move-forward/

I suspect that they are hoping that getting Thaksin home, and the passage of time over the next couple of years will be enough to blunt public distaste for their shenanigans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Seripisut, the one MP party leader and ex police chief, who caused controversy last week when he suggested MF leave the coalition, has done it again.

At a press conference he condemned the protesters who burnt effigies at the front of PT's HQ, saying they could get up to 8 tears jail each.

Then he talked about Yok, the girl barred from her school for refusing to wear a uniform.

'If she was my daughter, I'd kill her and dispose of the body.'

Whoa!

Well don't forget, he was a senior police officer, so understandably has a somewhat cavalier approach to the law!

• Like 1

If we have decided to move to Thailand, there are valid reasons. I don't understand why many foreigners would like Thailand to look like western countries. But only in the flaws, because if something changes the Thais won't start respecting the rules, driving with a license, giving priority, wearing a helmet or eliminating corruption. They will only copy our bad habits. I also believe that the people are not ready to run a democracy.

Edited by Icardi
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

break.png

The Pheu Thai party announced this afternoon (Wednesday) that it is breaking from the Move Forward party to form its own coalition government and nominate Srettha Thavisin for selection as the prime minister of Thailand.

The announcement came shortly after a failed meeting between core members of Pheu Thai and Move Forward, aimed at resolving the thorny issue of Move Forward’s stand on amendment of the lèse majesté law, which was used as a pretext by many senators and MPs to withhold support for prime ministerial candidates from the Move Forward or Pheu Thai parties.

The meeting started at about 9.30am at the Pheu Thai party head office, during which Pheu Thai core members asked the Move Forward party to backtrack on its policy to amend the lèse majesté law, so that the Pheu Thai party’s prime ministerial candidate can receive support from senators and MPs.

Move Forward’s core members refused to budge on the party’s stand, said the source.

Pheu Thai was represented by party leader Chonlanan Srikaew, deputy leader Phumtham Wechayachai and Secretary-general Prasert Chanthararuangthong. Move Forward party was represented by Secretary-general Chaithawat Tulathon, Sirikanya Tansakul and deputy leader Phicharn Chaowapatanawong.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-breaks-with-move-forward-coalition/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Should mean: Thai parliament throws the will of the people in the trash:coffee1:????

1 hour ago, Icardi said:

If we have decided to move to Thailand, there are valid reasons. I don't understand why many foreigners would like Thailand to look like western countries. But only in the flaws, because if something changes the Thais won't start respecting the rules, driving with a license, giving priority, wearing a helmet or eliminating corruption. They will only copy our bad habits. I also believe that the people are not ready to run a democracy.

BS: The Politicans dont want run a democracy!

• Thanks 1

MFP should've read the writing on the wall and backed off the lese majeste law changes. They could then change the constitution and remove the 250 senators or at least make them elected rather than appointed. Take the wins you can get. They are like spoiled children who tamper tantrum "I won so it's my way or no way" - but they didn't win anything - they have only a few more MPs than PTP, and by being stubborn and not compromising on anything they guarantee their inability to form a government. It's almost like they prefer to make a statement even at the cost of making a government.

You can only make change if you're part of the game. Exclude yourself from the game and insist on being the opposition and no change will come.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

MFP should've read the writing on the wall and backed off the lese majeste law changes. They could then change the constitution and remove the 250 senators or at least make them elected rather than appointed.

They couldn't have changed the constitution just because they got the post of prime minister. And they also couldn't just have went and removed the 250 senators. How do you propose they do these things exactly?

As a hint: amendments to the constitution require a majority of votes in 3 separate readings of the combined House + Senate plus at least a third of Senators need to vote yes. What you are proposing is that the Senators vote for removing the Senators.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

They couldn't have changed the constitution just because they got the post of prime minister. And they also couldn't just have went and removed the 250 senators. How do you propose they do these things exactly?

As a hint: amendments to the constitution require a majority of votes in 3 separate readings of the combined House + Senate plus at least a third of Senators need to vote yes. What you are proposing is that the Senators vote for removing the Senators.

Maybe Pita can ask the police to chase them out of the country.  

5 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

MFP should've read the writing on the wall and backed off the lese majeste law changes. They could then change the constitution and remove the 250 senators or at least make them elected rather than appointed. Take the wins you can get. They are like spoiled children who tamper tantrum "I won so it's my way or no way" - but they didn't win anything - they have only a few more MPs than PTP, and by being stubborn and not compromising on anything they guarantee their inability to form a government. It's almost like they prefer to make a statement even at the cost of making a government.

You can only make change if you're part of the game. Exclude yourself from the game and insist on being the opposition and no change will come.

115 was just an excuse. Other policies were unpalatable to the elite too- abolishing conscription, breaking up business monopolies in the alcohol sector, increasing taxes on the rich, decentralisation.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, Callmeishmael said:

It will be interesting to see who is in the 'new' coalition.  PT + BMJ + the little parties from the old coalition still only add up to about 225 votes.  Even if the Senate votes for Sretta they still need more votes to have a majority in Parliament.  I expect that PPP will join them with another 40 votes.

MFP maybe? 
That will make it interesting 

• Confused 2