Food delivery: Grab vs Foodpanda

mike111

I prefer Grab. I didn't like Foodpanda getting political and pandering to the junta a few years back and I deleted the app in response.

Lack of quality translation is a problem in Grab however. In that regard I would use Foodpanda if they weren't a bunch of spineless suckups.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Panda, Grab, Line, or shopee.....Are pretty Similar

Grab has a bad habit of being backed-up for delivery at peak times..

Panda has the best app for a farang...

Panda gives you points that can give you dicounts after a number of orders...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

They have become Lame , Now 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well said. I agree. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 6:10 PM, ChrisKC said:

For me, it isn't the delivery boy that is the problem, it is the food! Just poor value. i don't bother anymore!

Poor value?.......You must be joking....

Delivery fees are between free and 20 baht..

Hardly any mark-up on food...

They are happy with a 15-20 baht tip..

Whats not to like?.......Its very good value...

• Thanks 1

Grab really annoys me with their pretense of marketing to English speakers.  A little bit is in English and now most menu items are Google translated but most information and help is in Thai.  (I know I live in Thailand, but thanks for the pointing that out!) 

It's hard to understand why they don't hire a couple of translators to make the experience farang friendlier, but they have clearly done a cost/benefit analysis and decided it just ain't worth it.     

11 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Grab really annoys me with their pretense of marketing to English speakers.  A little bit is in English and now most menu items are Google translated but most information and help is in Thai.  (I know I live in Thailand, but thanks for the pointing that out!) 

It's hard to understand why they don't hire a couple of translators to make the experience farang friendlier, but they have clearly done a cost/benefit analysis and decided it just ain't worth it.     

Just download a screen translate app...

• Thanks 1

I let the restaurant that we order from decide.  I can't be bothered reading the limited, silly, non informational menus on those 2 apps.

I decide the restaurant, if they don't deliver, then they'll tell me which, or simply get one of the scooter waiting around to take the order.

7 hours ago, stevekrabi said:

Food Panda never let me down. Had a few issues with Grab but will still use them if there's a good offer / voucher available.

Both have cashless options but Food Panda just seems more reliable.

All the food delivery apps have discount vouchers.....But the vouchers come and go....Some times they are there to use, some times they are not...Anywhere from 5 baht off to 90 baht off a order...

• 2 weeks later...

I used Grab food delivery tonight for the first time.  The driver refused to enter my condo building, much less come up to my floor and ring my door bell.  Is that normal?

I've used hotmeals2u.com several times this month, and also had a pizza from Pizza Company delivered, and they all came up to my floor and rang my door bell, hence my question.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I used Grab food delivery tonight for the first time.  The driver refused to enter my condo building, much less come up to my floor and ring my door bell.  Is that normal?

I've used hotmeals2u.com several times this month, and also had a pizza from Pizza Company delivered, and they all came up to my floor and rang my door bell, hence my question.

Dont be so lazy....Go meet them in the street.....

Your asking for problems, trying to get them to come to your door...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Dont be so lazy....Go meet them in the street.....

Your asking for problems, trying to get them to come to your door...

What problems am I asking for by expecting them to deliver to my door? 

10 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Doesn't your building have any security to stop random people wandering about?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Doesn't your building have any security to stop random people wandering about?

I'm not sure what their criteria are for "random people".  A uniformed Grab driver with an order displaying my name & room number should be permitted to sign-in and enter, no?  They permit PEA, True, 3BB uniformed workers into the building.  They also have permitted hotmeals2u.com and Pizza Company delivery people up to my room for deliveries.

Edited by wpcoe

Perhaps nobody has ever before ordered Grab from a Pattaya/Jomtien condo, but I'll try again:

The [Grab] driver refused to enter my condo building, much less come up to my floor and ring my door bell.  Is that normal?

20 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I'm not sure what their criteria are for "random people".  A uniformed Grab driver with an order displaying my name & room number should be permitted to sign-in and enter, no?  They permit PEA, True, 3BB uniformed workers into the building.  They also have permitted hotmeals2u.com and Pizza Company delivery people up to my room for deliveries.

So all a thief needs is bit of a uniform, like a Grab jerkin and an empty Pizza box, or one with tools in? A friend's place had all deliveries go to the office and they were called to come down for food..... as they themselves had to sign. I appreciate not suitable for someone a bit lazy.... 

I might want an ex-GF kept at bay too!????

• Confused 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, wpcoe said:

Neither Grab nor Food Panda deliver at home and you have to go down the street to pick up the order.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, wpcoe said:

Yes, it's normal.  I even put in the notes to driver that I'll come down and meet them outside the lift on the ground floor to make sure there's no room for error.

Pure laziness to do otherwise IMO.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:17 AM, redwood1 said:

Have you guys seen how much it cost for food delivery in the west?

Its crazy expensive......And very cheap here..

Just compare prices simple home delivery ????  Europe/Belgium/Antwerp

20230822_155528.jpg

20230822_155339_mfnr.jpg