Thai deodorants.

up2you2

8 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

I prefer showering every time I go out wearing a fresh shirt each time. No need for deodorant. 
Nothing worse than passing a sweaty tourist wearing a 100B fake designer shirt he bought 2 days ago, still wearing it, uses loads of deodorant to mask the smell of new shirt chemical and BO. The combo is like a wmd (weapon of mass deterrent). One reason Thais don’t like non-Thais, many of my Thai friends here often talk about it. 

I thought Thai’s don’t like non-Thai’s…

… you are different to everyone else right?….  ‘cos you’re the the only non-Thai with a pleasant odour… ????????????????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pla Simon said:

Very stubborn stain to remove.

Pro Launderers would usually attempt to  use a steam gun or ammonia.

Once built up, I can attest, the only recourse is usually a new shirt.

Thank you for your very straight up front answer to the problem I questioned.    Not the copy paste run around.

24 minutes ago, sungod said:

I'm looking forward to the 'what tooth paste do you use' thread once this one has done the rounds.

Its 'where is the best burger in Bangkok' next, followed by at least two 'how to get a Thai Driving Licence?' and 'how to open a Thai Bank account?'.... 

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:05 AM, NextG said:
On 8/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I try and bring as many as I can from the UK on my bianual trips.. 

150ml Rexona in Thailand is about B 163 / £3.70....  [B108/100ml]

250ml Sure (UK brand for Rexona) in the UK is £1.99 / B 88... [B34/100ml]

The deodorant in Thailand is 3x more expensive and I go through a lot as I do plenty of sport and shower 2-3 times on most days.. I bring about 10 tins back with me from the UK on each visit. 

Recently I switched to using the womens Rexona simply because I'm cheap and object to paying more for the mens one for ultimately the same product. 

Worthy of a thread: Hardly, but the additional expense of deodorant here is something that has always struck me as strange, particularly for a very warm and humid nation.

Expand  

Personally I find it quite offensive those people who stink out the changing rooms with their ‘deodorant’ sprays. 

Personally, I find it quite offensive those people who think they can get by without any deodorising spray and think their 'natural musk' is acceptable... 

I also find it quite ridiculous that your 'stance' against deodorant is to suggest 'people stinking out the changing rooms' as if people are using a whole can of spray. 

- Shower with showergel, quick spray of deoderant and a spalsh of Eau De Parfurm or De Toilet... and off you go... no need to over-power any area.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:05 AM, NextG said:

Perspiring is normal. It’s the bacteria that raise a stink. So just eliminate the bacteria; don’t stink the place out with your perfumes ????

You seem to be one of those the Thai's would 'turn away from' on the BTS in that moment of awkwardness where the person next to them is completely oblivious to their own odour. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Personally, I find it quite offensive those people who think they can get by without any deodorising spray and think their 'natural musk' is acceptable... 

I also find it quite ridiculous that your 'stance' against deodorant is to suggest 'people stinking out the changing rooms' as if people are using a whole can of spray. 

- Shower with showergel, quick spray of deoderant and a spalsh of Eau De Parfurm or De Toilet... and off you go... no need to over-power any area.

You seem to be one of those the Thai's would 'turn away from' on the BTS in that moment of awkwardness where the person next to them is completely oblivious to their own odour. 

I hope you are joking ???? If not you are truly ironic without realising. Deodorant and eau de parfum…. truly offensive to the nostrils. Disgusting really. 
I prefer to shower often. A thin layer of Silver Protect if out and about on a busy day. No need to offend people with your mix of smells. You really have no idea. I don’t want to smell you at all. Not your sweat, not your deodorant and not your perfume. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just your wild imagination. Projecting because I find your behaviour offensive and likely your smell. Do you imagine everyone loves your deodorant and perfume? ????

8 hours ago, NextG said:

I hope you are joking ???? If not you are truly ironic without realising. Deodorant and eau de parfum…. truly offensive to the nostrils. Disgusting really. 
I prefer to shower often. A thin layer of Silver Protect if out and about on a busy day. No need to offend people with your mix of smells. You really have no idea. I don’t want to smell you at all. Not your sweat, not your deodorant and not your perfume. 

Old farts often stink and they have no idea... actually, a lot of people stink and they have no idea....  I'm not sure of your age, however, your response is straight out of the 'miserly book of boomerhood' !!... 

There's nothing wrong with a bit of tasteful scent.... 

If you are smelling the scent of other men you are either getting too close, or they're using some rough stuff.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are smelling the scent of other men you are either getting too close, or they're using some rough stuff.

Not much worse than old men wearing cheap aftershave, I've noticed a lot of Indians wear it in Pattaya. Air pollution

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not much worse than old men wearing cheap aftershave, I've noticed a lot of Indians wear it in Pattaya. Air pollution

True that... 

Many of the comments on this forum come from the polarised extremes... 

If someone uses alternative to deodorant / Bodyspray etc they seem to levy the accusation that those who do use deodorant / Bodyspray use too much and 'offend' those around them... 

As with everything there is a balanced spectrum within which the vast majority of us fit well within...  From those using alternatives and those who use tasteful cologne, ETD's EDP's etc...  there is nothing wrong with smelling neutral, there is nothing wrong with a tasteful and balanced scent which is, of course, not over-powering. 

The suggestion from some that any scent is over powering is simply idiotic.... I rarely meet anyone who wears deodorant / EDT / ETP etc to smell anything other than pleasant... yet its not uncommon to pass another sorely in need of a shower.

Edited by richard_smith237

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I shower before bed. I don’t want to get the sheet dirty from the sweat of the day. For some reason though I don’t need deodorant before bed. I never smell in bed.

Oh yeah, can you help me find a deodorant? I can’t find one and don’t know which kind to buy. Please help me, sir.

Have you thought of changing the sheets regularly?

You are either claiming you never fart in bed, or it doesn't smell.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Old farts often stink and they have no idea... actually, a lot of people stink and they have no idea....  I'm not sure of your age, however, your response is straight out of the 'miserly book of boomerhood' !!... 

I’m not old. You seem to be falling flat on your face with every turn, trying to deflect. 
If you think it is acceptable to be emanating three different ‘fragrances’ (shower gel, deodorant and perfume) at the same time as your own, then don’t let me stop you. You must really sweat and smell bad to go to such lengths. But, to me, I find it offensive. In the changing rooms, on the trains…wherever. Just be clean in the first place; shower often and don’t raise a stink!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

True that... 

Many of the comments on this forum come from the polarised extremes... 

If someone uses alternative to deodorant / Bodyspray etc they seem to levy the accusation that those who do use deodorant / Bodyspray use too much and 'offend' those around them... 

As with everything there is a balanced spectrum within which the vast majority of us fit well within...  From those using alternatives and those who use tasteful cologne, ETD's EDP's etc...  there is nothing wrong with smelling neutral, there is nothing wrong with a tasteful and balanced scent which is, of course, not over-powering. 

The suggestion from some that any scent is over powering is simply idiotic.... I rarely meet anyone who wears deodorant / EDT / ETP etc to smell anything other than pleasant... yet its not uncommon to pass another sorely in need of a shower.

You remind of an old woman who wears too strong a perfume in order to mask her smell. Subtlety left the building some time ago. If you need to go to such lengths to mask your smell… you probably smell. Acceptance is the first step..

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If anyone wants to buy the Alum stick they are hard to find on Lazada but loads on Shopee, here 3 for 34 baht

https://shp.ee/tkhhgys

Just type alum into lazada search and many shops come up selling the stuff (brand names; also bags of the plain stuff for about 30 baht)

Can also be bought in Big C, Lotus's and Boots from the deodorant section. A few brands available. 711 also have small bottles of powdered alum.

Another use for alum (the plain stuff) can also be used post shaving. Alum is an astringent which causes the skin cells and tissues to shrink. Used in shaving, it helps to soothe freshly shaved skin to combat razor burn, ingrown hairs, bumps, and redness by reducing inflammation. It’s also effective at stopping any bleeding from nicks and cuts by constricting the blood vessels.

Edited by freeworld

22 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I have been here a very long time and it is amusing to see this topic pop up every few years.  It is in the same league as the perenial "are you gay if you have sex with a ladyboy" and "should I lend my GF money" threads.

This is what I do.  It is safe, environmentally friendly (no spray or gasses to harm the ozone) the cheapest option, and it gives you the greatest degree of flexibility on how you smell.

Go to any old school Thai mom and pop store.  Ask if they sell "san som".  Motion like you are putting deodorant under your arms when you ask this.

San som is a large clear aluminium oxide crystal.  It looks just like a large rough piece of ice.  It is also the active ingredient in all anti perspirants.  It is getting harder to buy now....but it is still available...just go store to store until you find it.

Last time I bought a bag was about five years ago....it cost me 20 baht....and I still have about half of the crystals remaining.  

The bags are probably by the kilo I think.  The last one I bought had five or six big crystals each a bit smaller than my fist.

Rat through the bags of san som to find one that does not have a lot of little broken pieces in it.  You want just a couple of good big blocks.

After you shower and your pit is still damp you just rub under your arm with a crystal.  I keep one in a double soap dish (next to my soap) in the shower.  After a few days the crystal with wear smooth to the contours of your arm.  Take care not to drop the crystal because it will shatter into smaller shards, which can still be used, but not as convenient as a nice hand sized block.

After you have dried off you then just spray your favourite cologne under your arms as well and on your body.

The aluminium oxide stops you from sweating and your cologne gives you the smell that you like....and you can apply as much or as little of your cologne as you like.

I also have fun trying new scents that I buy if I travel to countries or more recently that I buy online.  I have just found a very nice smelling and remarkably cheap cologne and am now using that as well as my oxide crystal.

I should just mention that if you do not drop and break the crystal it will last indefinitely. 

In fact I have never used one up entirely, they always meet their demise humpty dumpty style.

Is it possible to please inform the name of this nice smelling cologne?

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Is it possible to please inform the name of this nice smelling cologne?

There are hundreds of them available on shopee and lazada.  And they are very cheap.  Just keep buying and trying to you find one that you like.  That is what I did.

Just have a look at the ones that are cheap but have high 5 star ratings.  You can convert the Thai language feedback into English using Google translate.

If you do not want much of a scent you can also buy lightly scented alcohol by the litre. There was lots of it online following covid.  Super cheap if you head down that path.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NextG said:

I’m not old. You seem to be falling flat on your face with every turn, trying to deflect. 
If you think it is acceptable to be emanating three different ‘fragrances’ (shower gel, deodorant and perfume) at the same time as your own, then don’t let me stop you. You must really sweat and smell bad to go to such lengths. But, to me, I find it offensive. In the changing rooms, on the trains…wherever. Just be clean in the first place; shower often and don’t raise a stink!

I agree with you for those pushing the extremes of the 'odour spectrum' using too much fragrance (deodorant / ETC / EDP etc), as there are those pushing the extremes who fail to shower... 

.. I've already mentioned intelligent balance which you clearly seem unable to understand and continue to project the extremes. 

You don't use deodorant and probably don't stink either because as you've mentioned you shower frequently.

There are also many people who use fragrances who don't overpower even the oversensitive misers such as yourself who fail to see anything other than from their own limited box.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Me, soap in the shower, roll-on deodorant when finished......

Now if, if I forget to do the roll-on, I know all about it in a couple of hours...

Soap on its own does not work, those who think it does have got used to their own stink............:sick:........................:stoner:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Me, soap in the shower, roll-on deodorant when finished......

Now if, if I forget to do the roll-on, I know all about it in a couple of hours...

Soap on its own does not work, those who think it does have got used to their own stink............:sick:........................:stoner:

I definitely had you down as 'Black Beards delight' kind of guy Trans...  & 'Sex panther' on the Missus' Birthday !!! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I definitely had you down as 'Black Beards delight' kind of guy Trans...  & 'Sex panther' on the Missus' Birthday !!! 

Nooooooooo, I wear socks, and no flip-flops for me either.....................????

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, transam said:
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nooooooooo, I wear socks, and no flip-flops for me either.....................????

Socks on the Missus' Birthday....  you spicy devil you !!.....  

Agree with the no flop-flops... quite an off-putting noise when going at it hammer and tongs....:whistling:

• Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Socks on the Missus' Birthday....  you spicy devil you !!.....  

Agree with the no flop-flops... quite an off-putting noise when going at it hammer and tongs....:whistling:

I meant in Tesco's.................☺️

On 8/7/2023 at 8:48 AM, KannikaP said:

Does the Alum stick which you use not contain aluminium?

I seem to remember that trumpet players rubbed alum on their lips to strengthen them.

Good point, never looked into this. Maybe it's not as good as an alternative as I thought it would be, but perhaps I can find out the ingredients. I buy the Grace brand currently by the way.

3 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Good point, never looked into this. Maybe it's not as good as an alternative as I thought it would be, but perhaps I can find out the ingredients. I buy the Grace brand currently by the way.

Alum sticks work great, just been to Bangkok all day, walking about and not a wiff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, up2you2 said:

This is what I have bought, yet to use it, so it will be interesting to see how it works.

The fact that ones armpits have got to be wet, maybe just dipping into water prior to applying it will work to.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 095156.png

apply after a shower is best practice