How did you walk out and leave?

How did you do it?

How did you make that first step to walk out in your ex wife / family and make it to to Thailand?

I know there's some heartbreaking stories , but I want to know especially you guys in your 40's 50's with children

Did you just walk out and say I want a separation I think I will have a better life in Thailand or Asia ?

Did you say to your farang wife who you may still love " it's time to go love , I need to start my life !!!

Your kids did they understand your separation ....did they understand your new life ...

Regrets on leaving ...how much heartbreak did you leave back in farangland 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love It 1

19 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

How did you do it?

How did you make that first step to walk out in your ex wife / family and make it to to Thailand?

I know there's some heartbreaking stories , but I want to know especially you guys in your 40's 50's with children

Did you just walk out and say I want a separation I think I will have a better life in Thailand or Asia ?

Did you say to your farang wife who you may still love " it's time to go love , I need to start my life !!!

Your kids did they understand your separation ....did they understand your new life ...

Regrets on leaving ...how much heartbreak did you leave back in farangland 

How do you think your kids will react? You know them best, and Im sure you will regret when you will finely become grand dad. 

Your financial future aspect will count in as much as your ability to stay in contact and be close to them and their life. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Certainly some sad stories 

I recall two stories a few weeks ago ,talking to a 62yo  bar owner sitting at my table ( no didn't buy him a drink )

He had tears in his eyes as he told me he uprooted from farangland after been married 30 years , left his native Belgium leaving his adult sons behind who have refused to speak to him ever since !!

"You left mum " they reply to him 

" It was her fault" he said , 

She was nagging nagging every night after my work !!

He was tearing up ,6 years later he is living in a room on top of his bar, whether he is happy who knows 

He lets his ex  wife keep the house she pays him half rent but never spoke to her since ,strange case and sad 

The second case was a cafe owner who only sees his grandkids via WhatsApp but the ex wife won't talk to him 

He had a nervous breakdown in 2015 in the UK ,lost his job etc 

"She caused me to have a breakdown he says 

Decided on a trip to Pattaya to get away  ,and decided 2 weeks later to leave ,his ex wife bought his half of the house and he has never been back 

Strangely it's always the wife's fault ! 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2

After the " last straw".  While she was at work I put my all my personal stuff in my car got a storage unit. Parked at the airport and flew to my base on the other side of the country where I already had been paying for a hot rack at a hotel room crashpad.  Although it was hard at first we remained friendly. Until she got remarried. Eventually her Asian husband could not tolerate her texting her ex. The whole problem?  Why cant we have kids even though we agreed beforehand that we would not,

An intractable issue. When young women want them they will get somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder ....how many of you would go back to farangland now after a few years away if your ex said come back your welcome!!

Good luck with that! That bridge would be gone at once you leave for Thailand. 

How old is your kids? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder ....how many of you would go back to farangland now after a few years away if your ex said come back your welcome!!

Nah ... though #2 and myself are on FB, rarely talk, but since I only have 15 friends on FB ... nuff said, and we still can make each other laugh when we do chit chat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I was happily working in the UK as CTO of a mobile technology company that had just purchased my one-man-band AI/mobile internet company. Their new office was in an unheated and damp basement that had been empty for years.

A few months after starting work in that office I developed a cough that got worse and worse until I was unable to hold a conversation without having explosive coughing fits.  This was suspected Aspergillosis (fungal spores in my lungs) that were present in the damp office air.

This is a chronic disease which can't be cured but can be managed with the right medication and living environment.  My doctor suggested that living in a hot and humid climate may well help to minimise my symptoms.  So I took a trip to Thailand and my coughing stopped!  I returned to the UK climate and my coughing came back with a vengeance.  I did several trips to/from Thailand and each time that I stayed in Thailand my symptoms were minimal and they always returned when I came back to the UK.

So I had to make the life-changing decision to move to Thailand (or a similar hot/humid climate).  At that time I had funds to start up a new business in Thailand, but my wife was having none of it.  Understandably, she was unwilling to move to Thailand with our 3 young kids who were well-settled in the village school.

So we agreed to separate and I moved to Thailand, but vowed to keep in touch with my kids.  Unfortunately, that takes 2 to tango and my wife (soon to be ex) cut me off from my kids and (according to my brother) told them that I had left her for a Thai women...)

I still send e-cards on their birthdays and at Xmas, but they never reply, even going so far as to block my email address on the e-card website ????.  My UK kids are now in their early twenties and I guess they will never know the truth about why their dad left them to live in Thailand.

It's more than 20 years since I left the UK. I have moved around a bit in south-east Asia and some locations had 'cool' climates which caused me problems. But in general, as long as I walk or jog 4-5 Km per day AND eat healthy food AND gargle with salt water AND take ani-histamine and anti-congestants - my lungs are great!!

Very nicely written.

I've followed your posts thru the years, just wondering where you settled on for now? 

In the 80's and 90's I moved to a different military base almost every year. I saw how impossible military marriages were, mostly divorces and they saw their kids once a year. No way I could deal with that. In the mid 90's I was 30 years old stationed in Guam for a year, the guy sitting next to me was literally married to a prostitute. I made claims that I wasn't ever getting married but I guess he didn't believe me. One day he vaulted out of his chair, pointed at me, and loudly exclaimed "You really mean it when you say you're never getting married!" I was like "yeah, I thought you knew that".

Of course I never met the right girl, but if I did it still would have ended in disaster. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

He moved for health reasons. Learn to read.

Yep, he definitely has a reading problem!  BTW, when I returned to the UK in early February for prostate cancer investigations, I almost abandoned my stay in the UK because my lung problems returned rapidly in that cold climate. It took me about 2 months back in a hot/humid climate to recover.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1