Pheu Thai and Bhumjaithai to hold joint press conference

snoop1130

By my reckoning, they are short just under 30 seats from a working majority.

They also need the backing of the Senate.

There is one person who when he waddles onto the political stage brings with him some 30 seats and the backing of the Senate.

I know that Pheu Thai have said that they won't have him, but like everything else in this wheeling and dealing stitch up, things can change.

It remains to be seen what is the price the Senate will exact for allowing Pheu Thai into government, and by extension allowing Thaksin to return. I suspect it will be a high one - well a short fat one actually!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

212 But wont have a minority government. How is that going to work?. Thailand is just a laughing stock right now all this to prevent joining the modern age and having a monarchy more in line with a European one. 

Wonder what parties are prepared to sacrifice there electorate for small influnce now much like the lib dems did with David Cameron  

48 minutes ago, champers said:

Quite a clever move. Pheu Thai telling MFP that even though they are not in a coalition they are free to vote for the Government in Parliament (including for the PM candidate). Voting against will harm the Government and will damage the economy, Pheu Thai could argue.

Military not welcome so Pheu Thai appeasing their base.

Still a tough call to get past the Senate but we wiil see next week.

Noooooooo. BJT are also the enemy. PT have abandoned their support base. A traitorous act.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Noooooooo. BJT are also the enemy. PT have abandoned their support base. A traitorous act.

BJT was born from People’s Power Party which its predecessor was Thai Rak Thai 

as was Pheu Thai so they are all from same lineage. You can call them Sibling parties  It’s now a reunion 

Newin and Thaksin has reconciled to make Thailand great again

Edited by Hunz Kittisak
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Most Thais will be condemning them for a stitch up of Mpve Forward.

The electorate will not forget. If there is ever another election , and if there is another reincarnation of MF then PT will take a beating.

Thaksin back with 4 years to make Thailand great.

that will make voters forgive and forget 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

212 But wont have a minority government. How is that going to work?. Thailand is just a laughing stock right now all this to prevent joining the modern age and having a monarchy more in line with a European one. 

Wonder what parties are prepared to sacrifice there electorate for small influnce now much like the lib dems did with David Cameron  

212 is PT + BJT only. They need at least 39 more MPs. Democrat 25 + Prachachart 9 + Thai Sang Thai 6 = 40 MPs would do the trick. But that would be too close for comfort so probably need some more parties. They can't do it without Democrat.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

You're a long way off the mark.  The people understand that in any normal democratic process, Pita would have been Prime Minister.  There's been accusations about just about anyone who's looked like threatening the status quo for years.

And that's what's really going on here - the piggies don't want to move away from the trough.  The new constitution made sure they didn't have to - how many democracies do you know where the winning party has to seek permission to form a government? That's how the generals could promise 'no more coups' - they don't need a coup when they have a senate that only allows their friends to hold power. If the constitution is changed and either gets rid of the senate or dliutes their power - coups will return.

Yes, the Thai people voted for the new constitution (supposedly) but there was virtual martial law at that time - the opposition weren't allowed to campaign - either publicly or on TV. Nobody really knew what they were voting for - if they did actually vote that way, which is highly questionable in itself.

The fact is that the generals/elite families are not going to let go of power/wealth and they will continue to control the people that make them that wealth in any and all ways possible. Democracy? Just a sham, there has never been and will never be democracy in Thailand without a civil war.

Anyone who does or says anything against the generals or tries to change the grossly unfair laws that keep the people down - finds themselves either accused of some crime or other and/or is locked up. People have also simply disappeared! It never fails to amaze me just how many Thai politicians have accusations levied agaist them as soon as they become a threat.

The Thai version of democracy closely resembles that of another country who the government have been cosying up to - lock up/silence your rivals. Give you a clue, that country is currently at war.

My girlfriend spoke volumes in just one sentence when she said, 'after the election result we had hope, real hope, now we have nothing again'. That's the general feeling amongst the population.

Pita/Move Forward had the guts to stand up to 'the system' and they also showed real resolve recently when they refused to drop the policies that the people voted for in order to form a government with Pheu Thai.  Hat's off to them, what they did was a real change in Thailand - its just a shame that the whole rotten system is set up in such a way that change is highly unlikely to be achieved.

Very well put

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

He is the Highhhlander after all

There can be only one!

image.png.08ffa1b95631b62a777a2a62ec57021f.png cue soundtrack image.png.08ffa1b95631b62a777a2a62ec57021f.png

Also, something else is brewing in the background, important arrivals spotted at airports after long absences, and it ain't Thaksin.

Yes, but not mentioned in Thai media because shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... pretend it isn't happening.

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

212 is PT + BJT only. They need at least 39 more MPs. Democrat 25 + Prachachart 9 + Thai Sang Thai 6 = 40 MPs would do the trick. But that would be too close for comfort so probably need some more parties. They can't do it without Democrat.

The Democrats will leap into bed with anyone who offers them enough money. They are not even a proper party now. They can't even organize a meeting to select a leader let alone play a role in governing the country.

Anutin or Prawit will be PM by the end of the month. Failing that, Prayuth will stay on forever.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

BJT was born from People’s Power Party which its predecessor was Thai Rak Thai 

as was Pheu Thai so they are all from same lineage. You can call them Sibling parties  It’s now a reunion 

Newin and Thaksin has reconciled to make Thailand great again

Thailand? More like make themselves richer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

To be fair, I really expected serious mass demonstrations when Move Forward were denied the right to form a government with Pita at the top. However, talking to Thai people it seems they have simply given up - most just say nothing will ever change.  Acceptance is in the culture - if only this had happened in France!

A general strike might produce some results but so soon after covid where ordinary Thai people suffered serious financial hardship, I don't think they have either the will or the cash to tide them through the additional hardship a strike would create.  It would certainly shake the generals up a bit though.

I really wish they would protest en mass and refuse to accept this sham of a 'democracy' but on reflection, I can't see it happening - not in a way that would bring any results.  If just a few thousand protest, they will be treated in the same way as the students were a couple of years back and they will achieve nothing.

A very, very sad state of affairs - the worst I've seen it when what's gone on is examined. This gives momentum to the generals though - after getting away with this, they are probably more convinced than ever that they can do whatever they like.

You make very good points.  I was thinking similar.  What if the 14 million decided to make their own territory,  army,  tax system. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

His time is over. Of course he still has supporters, but then so does Prayuth. However, I doubt very much that his once strong support from the redshirts, is still there. After all he did lie to them and throw them to the dogs and they are aware of this. Actually, I am quite surprised by how much the locals in my area would rather vote orange than red. They all know that he is still pulling the party purse strings too. 

Interesting that it was Korat Red shirts who said they were going to meet him at the airport and not the CM ones......traditionally his strongest supporters.

Interesting that it was CM Red Shirts who burnt their shirts a couple of days ago.

Who knows how many PT voters only stuck with the party during the election because it said it was going to push for reform along with MF?

Interesting times.......

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I'm wondering if there will ever be a North Thailand and South Thailand countries deal. 

I'd like to think there will be change of some description but its difficult to guess what that might be.  I can't see a split of the country - Thailand is very 'Bangkok Centric' so a North/South divide would very much hobble the North. The generals would never let it happen anyway - the North feeds the South.

Move Forward appear to be trustworthy and I believe, should be given the benefit of the doubt on that, until they prove otherwise. Their policies threaten the very heart of the status quo - a status quo that guarantees the wealth of a few at the expense of the many.  That was never going to be allowed.

In the past, when things have gone to far, when the piggies trough has been in danger of being tipped over - there has been a coup.  The generals came up with what Baldrick would call a 'cunning plan' - change the constitution in such a way that we don't need to have any more coups - after all, coups are damaging from an international perspective. So they could retain their position, remain sitting at the trough but appear to be far distant.

Move Forward threatened the very stones that the trough sits on. They had many policies to reform the country - some aimed at the lesse majeste laws, some aimed directly at the income that fills the trough - its all connected.

For example: The Alcohol Duopoly.  Just two brewers exist in Thailand - Thai Bev and Bood Rawd , basically Chang and Singha. Thai Bev hold about 34% of the beer market with Boon Rawd holding 58%. There is another smaller brewer/importer that hold the other 8% but its unclear why that was allowed to happen.  The law is a little complicated but basically, in order to start a brewery in Thailand, a company must be able to brew xxx zillion litres of beer per year - a hideous figure that I can't remember but its one that no start up company would ever attempt. Hence the monopoly of beer sales in Thailand and therefore the profit, belongs to just 2 families - Thai Chinese billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi and his family own Thai Bev and Bhurit “Tae” Bhirombhakdi & family own Boon Rawd.

Move Forward proposed ending this duopoly which is why I say 'Move Forward threatened the very stones that the trough sits on'.  In my opinion, in terms of a threat, this is far more relevant than any proposals to change to the lesse majeste laws.  It is entirely possible that the 'establishment' are using Move Forward's proposals to change the lesse majeste laws in order to make them look like anti royalists - something that would chime with a good proportion of the electorate.  I believe that changes affecting wealth are the real reason they oppose Move Forward.

Thai politics are both complicated and childish in the same breath, you can get totally lost trying to understand them until you just take a step back and ask why? Why are they like this? End of the day........power - and power = wealth. Not much different to many countries in reality - just a more childish and intermeshed way of going about it. However, the wealth that's at the foot of most of what goes on appears to be far more concentrated than it is in other countries. According to a highly educated Thai friend who has followed the history - wealth is held by just 5 or 6 families - of course those who do their bidding are very well compensated so it may appear to be bigger than that.

To maintain that wealth, the South needs the North - no way would a split ever be allowed.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 2