Are you a minimalist?

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

How many of you live in cluttered rooms full of junk 

I can't really tell you how much is junk. There are layers upon layers of boxes and documents and whatever. Some of it might be junk. I will let you know when I have time to check things. But don't hold your breath. 

P.S.: I never bought a TV in my life. And I didn't watch TV since at least a decade. That would be about the first thing to remove. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think I am, because everything I have has a function. If it doesn't, it gets sold, given away, or thrown out.

Ditto. Get rid! Even the Mrs if she falls into that category.   555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 2

People who have grown accustomed with messiness from childhood, and didn't grow out of that teenage thinking. Some have depression and don't have the energy to clean up. Some are creative people who don't like following rules, especially if those were rules from parents who were on their case constantly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Ever since I have come back from Pattaya I have spent my non working days "decluttering"

I have gone over every drawer chucking out stuff I don't need 

I have absolutely no idea why but I dreamed when I was in Pattaya that's the very first thing I will do when I get home to Australia

Even I didn't want to throw my old clothes out and I hesitated so I just threw it out the window on my level 32 balcony here in Sydney Australia ,I have no idea where it landed and I don't care ,it's out of my life !

My dream eventually is to sell up and move to a small 1  house in isaan in the country side  Thailand and have no clutter to live as a minimalist , not even a fridge 

Just a mat on the floor , a small drawer and not even a tv 

How many of you live in cluttered rooms full of junk 

Nong Khai is good. I can meet you there. Lets have a beer.

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So when you are in Issan with your mat and small drawer what then? Become a buddhist or something. I have posted this before on the god topic from The Onion. Something to consider. 

When I think back to my time on earth, I have few regrets. The path I took, the simple life of a monk, allowed me to achieve the highest state of enlightenment. As one who renounced worldly attachments, I was free to lead a contemplative existence and to then share my wisdom with others. That said, I have to admit that if I were to do it all over again, I would probably choose to have at least a few possessions.

Not too many, of course. Maybe 10 possessions—20, tops.

To be sure, desiring earthly possessions only binds one to this life, and all beings must free themselves from the shackles of materialism to reach nirvana. That’s why, if I were to have a few belongings, I’d limit them to just some essentials: a fan, perhaps, to cool myself with, or a candle, so I could continue my study of ancient texts when the sun goes down. It’s not as if owning a candle would’ve halted my spiritual awakening. How could it? It’s just a candle, right?

I’ve always said that it is not objects themselves but our unwavering devotion to them that stands in the way of karmic progress and, ultimately, true awakening. With that in mind, I can’t help but wonder if it really would’ve been such a big deal if I’d had a pen or two to write with—not coveting pens or obsessing over them or anything like that, just having a reliable writing implement that’s great for copying down spiritual insights. If I lost the pen, I’d be absolutely fine with that, but there’s nothing about being liberated from the stranglehold of temporal attachment that says I shouldn’t be able to make a mark on a piece of paper.

And come to think of it, a canteen would’ve been a huge help. I probably would’ve attained perfect enlightenment sooner—a lot sooner—if I hadn’t had to stop meditating beneath the Bodhi tree and walk to the river Niranjana every single time I got thirsty.

I understand, perhaps better than anyone, how vital meditation is to finding the freedom that awaits us at the end of the eightfold path. And you know what would’ve made meditating a hell of a lot easier? A tent. Nothing big or ornate, just a humble cloth shelter to help keep the rain and wind off my body. It’s not as though a tent would’ve stopped me from teaching my disciples to forsake earthly things. I would just say, “Dispossess yourself of all things, except a tent. And maybe a blanket.” Pillows, an obvious worldly luxury, would be forbidden.

Oh, you know what else would’ve been great? A tea kettle. I would have killed for a tea kettle.

A sweater or a jacket really wouldn’t have been the end of the world either, and there’s also a lot to be said for a decent pair of shoes. And what harm would there have been in having, say, a flute? It’d be nice to unwind with some music at the end of a long day of rigorous reflection. Again, I’m talking about very modest possessions here. Nothing you couldn’t easily fit in a satchel, which, yes, would’ve been nifty as well.

How about a little carving of a monkey? Honestly, I think it would’ve been fun to have had that to look at from time to time—a wooden one, nothing carved from precious stones or anything. I can’t imagine not being able to break free from the eternal cycle of death and rebirth because of a tiny monkey figurine, can you?

If I’m being completely honest, it’s not just the lack of possessions I regret. I also probably spent way too much of my time on earth meditating. Just sitting there on the hard ground doing nothing but pondering the infinite day after day when there are so many wonderful things to see and do in the world. I could’ve meditated just once a week and probably been perfectly fine. What a waste. I lived 80 years, and frankly, I blew it. I should have just tried to enjoy myself.

Point form works

• Confused 1

All you need is a bed , wardrobe, rug  ,chair for your house 

Deoderants , toothpaste,toothbrush ,comb

Small amount of clothes that's all you need 

Of course a mobile phone 

You don't need all this other stuff , expensive perfumes , brand name shoes etc 

Edited by georgegeorgia

My dear old Dad taught me "Don't throw that away, son, it may come in handy one day"

And, amongst so many other things, he was right...proof being that the day after you throw something out is the very day you find you need it!

So i follow that stance up to a point - the point being that i live in a flat not a house so decluttering is required from time to time.

16 minutes ago, recom273 said:

To me this is not minimalism - How is minimalism connected with spending, and generally being tight. Why not spend money on one bottle of aftershave that you like? just one simple bottle. For example, why not spend money on one phone that does the job well, that does the job efficiently, uses one cable that is also useful for other devices and does not need replacing on a regular basis. 

Not actually correct 

You actually " value ' your items more if you have one of each item 

Give you an example,today I threw all my tea towels out and kept one !

Couldn't be bothered taking them down the lift to the garbage room so just threwvthem all out the window!

Now I have kept ONE coloured tea towel and hung it on the stove .

I have washed it and iron it neatly folding it up and hanging it in the stove railing ready for use 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

I've always dreamed of being the guy who was perfectly content living in the jungle with just a knife, piece of string and a needle.

Alas I like watching the premier league too much.

Bear Grylls

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So when you are in Issan with your mat and small drawer what then? Become a buddhist or something. I have posted this before on the god topic from The Onion. Something to consider. 

When I think back to my time on earth, I have few regrets. The path I took, the simple life of a monk, allowed me to achieve the highest state of enlightenment. As one who renounced worldly attachments, I was free to lead a contemplative existence and to then share my wisdom with others. That said, I have to admit that if I were to do it all over again, I would probably choose to have at least a few possessions.

Not too many, of course. Maybe 10 possessions—20, tops.

To be sure, desiring earthly possessions only binds one to this life, and all beings must free themselves from the shackles of materialism to reach nirvana. That’s why, if I were to have a few belongings, I’d limit them to just some essentials: a fan, perhaps, to cool myself with, or a candle, so I could continue my study of ancient texts when the sun goes down. It’s not as if owning a candle would’ve halted my spiritual awakening. How could it? It’s just a candle, right?

I’ve always said that it is not objects themselves but our unwavering devotion to them that stands in the way of karmic progress and, ultimately, true awakening. With that in mind, I can’t help but wonder if it really would’ve been such a big deal if I’d had a pen or two to write with—not coveting pens or obsessing over them or anything like that, just having a reliable writing implement that’s great for copying down spiritual insights. If I lost the pen, I’d be absolutely fine with that, but there’s nothing about being liberated from the stranglehold of temporal attachment that says I shouldn’t be able to make a mark on a piece of paper.

And come to think of it, a canteen would’ve been a huge help. I probably would’ve attained perfect enlightenment sooner—a lot sooner—if I hadn’t had to stop meditating beneath the Bodhi tree and walk to the river Niranjana every single time I got thirsty.

I understand, perhaps better than anyone, how vital meditation is to finding the freedom that awaits us at the end of the eightfold path. And you know what would’ve made meditating a hell of a lot easier? A tent. Nothing big or ornate, just a humble cloth shelter to help keep the rain and wind off my body. It’s not as though a tent would’ve stopped me from teaching my disciples to forsake earthly things. I would just say, “Dispossess yourself of all things, except a tent. And maybe a blanket.” Pillows, an obvious worldly luxury, would be forbidden.

Oh, you know what else would’ve been great? A tea kettle. I would have killed for a tea kettle.

A sweater or a jacket really wouldn’t have been the end of the world either, and there’s also a lot to be said for a decent pair of shoes. And what harm would there have been in having, say, a flute? It’d be nice to unwind with some music at the end of a long day of rigorous reflection. Again, I’m talking about very modest possessions here. Nothing you couldn’t easily fit in a satchel, which, yes, would’ve been nifty as well.

How about a little carving of a monkey? Honestly, I think it would’ve been fun to have had that to look at from time to time—a wooden one, nothing carved from precious stones or anything. I can’t imagine not being able to break free from the eternal cycle of death and rebirth because of a tiny monkey figurine, can you?

If I’m being completely honest, it’s not just the lack of possessions I regret. I also probably spent way too much of my time on earth meditating. Just sitting there on the hard ground doing nothing but pondering the infinite day after day when there are so many wonderful things to see and do in the world. I could’ve meditated just once a week and probably been perfectly fine. What a waste. I lived 80 years, and frankly, I blew it. I should have just tried to enjoy myself.

Life is yin and yang .   I guess you are the yin to my yang  (so take comfort in that ).

I spent my whole life doing and moving and being free.   Having things and getting rid of things and generally just living.   Tried to get as much experience , mistakes and all (learning process) .... so that now i can die and not have to rely on a reincarnation to give me a second chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Get rid of those boxes of documents,you can scan them nowadays can't you ?

Why have them

Trouble can be with motorcycle parts if you throw anything away sods law it will be what you need to use until you can replace it with a new part.

I used to collect Thai antiques or crafts on every trip over. I've lived here for a year and haven't bought a thing.

I wanted lightening in a bottle and now I have lightening all around me, all of the time.

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not actually correct 

You actually " value ' your items more if you have one of each item 

Give you an example,today I threw all my tea towels out and kept one !

Couldn't be bothered taking them down the lift to the garbage room so just threwvthem all out the window!

Now I have kept ONE coloured tea towel and hung it on the stove .

I have washed it and iron it neatly folding it up and hanging it in the stove railing ready for use 

That's correct - The thing I don't see is the connection with spending. That tea towel doesn't have to be the cheapest tea towel, tho', it doesn't mean if I have to buy one tea towel, that I can't buy a nice Irish linen tea towel to use because I feel it would perform the job a lot better. Other peoples concept of minimalism equates to using that one tea towel to shower with and use it to wipe vegetables, because they can wash it in between uses. I feel that a bit too far. Someone mentioned something about buying perfume. So, if you buy that one bottle, you value it, it is used in a number of scenarios, is that not minimalist?

Edited by recom273

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

P.S.: I never bought a TV in my life. And I didn't watch TV since at least a decade. That would be about the first thing to remove. 

If you didn't buy a TV...

Then...

How were you able to watch Mary Hartman?

I haven't had a TV since that time.

No good programming in Taiwan, especially during Martial Law.

I am a minimalist.

I only have what I need, plus just one backup for everything important, such as, two flatbed scanners, two desktops, two refrigerators, 3 microwaves, 2 water kettles, two socks (1 pair), 2 x 8000-watt water heaters for one shower, and the like.

Anytime something breaks, I use the backups, and then replace the broken stuff when I have opportunity to visit the suppliers.

14 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day I got used to relocating, and I as quite happy to move from one place to another with only a luggage allowance. My term would be "drifter", rather than "minimalist".

Just read a blog. The guy was a digital nomad for 20 years. 

Everything he owns is in 2 suitcases. He's been living like that for 20 years. 

It can be done, but he does complain that he wishes he had a desktop and a few other things. 

The future trend (as far as I can gather) is toward less ownership.

Renting economy will grow?

There is already an airline that rents out clothing so when you travel you dont need to bring your own clothes.  

Edited by save the frogs

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Just read a blog. The guy was a digital nomad for 20 years. 

Everything he owns is in 2 suitcases. He's been living like that for 20 years. 

It can be done, but he does complain that he wishes he had a desktop and a few other things. 

The hotel should have a desktop. Unless he means a desktop computer.