Why i like Thailand

bignok

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My takeaway from that is that the taxi driver was an utter ay-hole... and is by no means an example of the average Thai around me. 

the majority of taxi drivers in thailand are a-holes.

impatient, nosey, low class a holes for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think you are going to find much disagreement from many, including Thai's themselves. 

When Thai's get in a car, it as if they flick a switch... I call it the 'F... U..' switch... and they drive without any consideration....  Yet, it astonishes me that there is not more aggression. 

As with societies across the globe, there positive and negative traits... the attitudes towards others when on the roads in one of the major negative traits Thai's carry... there are also many positive traits - concentrating only on the negative can make us a little too jaded and force us into situations where our attitudes create negative situations which would not otherwise exist. 

They are driving around trying to earn a living. Their brains are not top shelf.

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think you are going to find much disagreement from many, including Thai's themselves. 

When Thai's get in a car, it as if they flick a switch... I call it the 'F... U..' switch... and they drive without any consideration....  Yet, it astonishes me that there is not more aggression. 

As with societies across the globe, there positive and negative traits... the attitudes towards others when on the roads in one of the major negative traits Thai's carry... there are also many positive traits - concentrating only on the negative can make us a little too jaded and force us into situations where our attitudes create negative situations which would not otherwise exist. 

Agreed as i got mt english degree in CM we had culture classes included..

1st circle with thais--family

2nd circle friends and co workers

3rd  <deleted> I dont know you and dont care circle.....farangs will always be in the 3rd circle..maybe 2nd if u marry one...never in 1st...never...

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

the country with the daily mass shootings--political bickering and the orange swamp thing  still roams and terrorizes idiots who believe in bigfoot

Life improves if you ignore the 'news' when you're at home - none of that stuff (or covid etc.) exists in real life.  Up to you though

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

3rd  <deleted> I dont know you and dont care circle.....farangs will always be in the 3rd circle..maybe 2nd if u marry one...never in 1st...never...

I put myself above any Thai. I know their country better than they do having seen most of it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bob smith said:

they should leave their jaded attitudes at home when they come to work.

no tourists = no money

no money = no honey. 

respect the tourists or get in the fish heads and rice queue with the rest of the jaded jobless.

They probably respect the tourists. It's just these long-time, low-budget or broke-assed farang squatters, digital pikeys and pension refugees without the proverbial pot who they're rightfully dismissive of.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

I put myself above any Thai. I know their country better than they do having seen most of it.

Can you sleep on the step outside a 7-eleven enjoying the aircon blasting thorugh the sliding door?

When you can do that withiout being kicked, then you've attained your rightful place in Thai society.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Can you sleep on the step outside a 7-eleven enjoying the aircon blasting thorugh the sliding door?

When you can do that withiout being kicked, then you've attained your rightful place in Thai society.

Who does that?

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

They are driving around trying to earn a living. Their brains are not top shelf.

I think 'for the most part' Thai's who have grown up in Thailand do not consider safety to the same degree we do and that manifests itself on the road. 

When we visit, wife drives in the UK.... (usually if I've had a beer with dinner etc)...  She just does not see the same 'dangers as I do'...  passing a line of parked cars, I have to remind her to give them greater space as someone could step out etc...  just the little things like this, but lots of them highlight to me a lack of safety awareness... 

... I see exactly the same approach in Thailand, simply a lack of safety awareness... where as for many of us visiting that awareness has been ingrained...  

BUT.. that is also an unfair comment when we consider the amount of tourists here riding a motorcycle without experience or a helmet... and those falling off balconies. 

For those of us who drive here, its really not quite as bad as we make out...  there are perhaps a greater number of tools at the extremes of the spectrum which are more visible, it is from this brush we tar the rest of driving society.

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They probably respect the tourists. It's just these long-time, low-budget or broke-assed farang squatters, digital pikeys and pension refugees without the proverbial pot who they're rightfully dismissive of.

Respect is earnt. Stand up be a man. Move the chess pieces around you.

13 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I've mentioned this before... and agree with the '3 circles'...   But also disagree with the comment in bold...  

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've mentioned this before... and agree with the '3 circles'...   But also disagree with the comment in bold...  

I get treated well in Isaan. I've got more skills than them. They need me more than I need them.

Bangkok people are rude in general but thats big city mentality in a hurry.

18 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

Life improves if you ignore the 'news' when you're at home - none of that stuff (or covid etc.) exists in real life.  Up to you though

like to keep an eye on things and waiting for the next shoe to drop..gotta keep an eye on grifters

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

That were two different threads.

With Bob we are not supposed to remember what he wrote in another thread a couple of days earlier.

Thread A: I was with this and that hooker.

B: Why would anybody go with hookers. Especially if you have a great wife.

C.  I hate my wife.

To be continued

i read it from a distance and with several grains of salt.......as im used to being gaslighted from grifters for many years back home and used to it on my daily bike rides when the massage girls smile at me....

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With Bob we are not supposed to remember what he wrote in another thread a couple of days earlier.

C.  I hate my wife.

To be continued

I wonder. 

This is it for me, the crappy street food, soi dogs, crazy traffic, heat, pollution and general daftness you can keep! Music is the only thing worth being here for, was at this monthly concert on Sunday, this recording is a while back.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, proton said:

This is it for me, the crappy street food, soi dogs, crazy traffic, heat, pollution and general daftness you can keep! Music is the only thing worth being here for, was at this monthly concert on Sunday, this recording is a while back.

Music 555

I like many things much more then the west.

I have found Thais not as friendly in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket.  Seem more stressed, hyper, chasing the dollar, in debt.  This seems to be worse post pandemic.

Hua Hin and Chiang Mai and many place in Isaan seem much more friendly.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

C.  I hate my wife.

To be continued

There's defo a bit of..... "Me, myself, myself and Irene...." !!!  :guitar:

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

they should leave their jaded attitudes at home when they come to work.

no tourists = no money

no money = no honey. 

respect the tourists or get in the fish heads and rice queue with the rest of the jaded jobless.

I agree. In an ideal world. Driving a taxi has to be a tough job. Especially in Bangkok. Riding in traffic all day. I think it would make me much worse than grouchy. Much, much worse. 

I find alot of taxi drivers to be friendly. But, I tend to go out of my way to engage them. I think they enjoy it. Likely breaks up the routine for them. I like to joke with them, and see if I can get them to laugh. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I agree. In an ideal world. Driving a taxi has to be a tough job. Especially in Bangkok. Riding in traffic all day. I think it would make me much worse than grouchy. Much, much worse. 

I find alot of taxi drivers to be friendly. But, I tend to go out of my way to engage them. I think they enjoy it. Likely breaks up the routine for them. I like to joke with them, and see if I can get them to laugh. 

best thing about grab is that you can opt for a silent journey by checking the tick box on the app.

which means the taxi driver isnt allowed to talk to you and you can submit a formal complaint if they do.

i personally do not like engaging with taxi drivers after too many bad experiences so I always choose this option.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1