Refrigerant re-fill for AC - when?

aldriglikvid

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Refrigerant is a gas at ambient temperature, and is slowly lost over time due to fugitive leaks, Any connection is a potential leak source.

Technicians use soap solution or a thermal conductivity detector to look for leaks.

Normally a top up is needed every 5 - 10 years, anything more frequent indicates something is wrong.

generally if ac is closed you never need any kind of top up. as i said it would indicate some kind of leak in the system. 

fugitive leak is still a leak. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Refrigerant is a gas at ambient temperature, and is slowly lost over time due to fugitive leaks, Any connection is a potential leak source.

Technicians use soap solution or a thermal conductivity detector to look for leaks.

Normally a top up is needed every 5 - 10 years, anything more frequent indicates something is wrong.

Humm. A correctly installed AC does not have leaks and may never need a top up. They can develop due to vibration damaging some of the pipes or work hardening them so potentially allowing pinholes. I have had AC units that were over 15 yeas old and have never needed refilling.

So you may require a top up or may never need one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm. A correctly installed AC does not have leaks and may never need a top up. They can develop due to vibration damaging some of the pipes or work hardening them so potentially allowing pinholes. I have had AC units that were over 15 yeas old and have never needed refilling.

So you may require a top up or may never need one.

It depends on initial assembly. I had one in Australia I recharged after 20 years.

25 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Is it not for the owner to handle the maintenance and not for the renter to shell out the ripoff of the technician who will always enjoy to ripoff a farang ?

The owner isn't using the airconditioner so why should he pay for the maintenance?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The owner isn't using the airconditioner so why should he pay for the maintenance?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

A classic NanLaew reply.

2 hours ago, transam said:

You pay rent for the use of its facilities, the A/C belongs to the owner, all included in the rent...I would have thought...????

The landlord pays for the service to be installed 

water, electricity, AC

The renter pays the cost of using the service.

Regular cleaning is part of the cost of using the service. Don’t use it no need to pay

As a landlord I would never expect to pay for AC cleaning, but if I was expected to do so you can bet the rent would be higher.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Just a thought. Now that temperatures have dropped some and humidity has gone up a lot, I think you may feel that the AC is not working properly. In order to get the same result you may have to lower the temperature set 1 or 2 degrees C to get the same 'dryness'.

Quick way to tell if it is refrigerant.  With unit running for a few minutes does the exterior unit exhaust air feel very warm?  Low refrigerant and generally little difference in exhaust air temp.  Also check if one line is frosting up or sweaty.

Could be low.  Unless Connecting gauges and reading the pressures along with temps of pipes to calculate subcooling or superheat you will only be guessing. Gauges are cheap if you wanted to follow a youtube video on how to check subcooling.  Lets assume gas is right then clean coils on indoor unit first,  then outdoor unit.  Lazada sell a spray and equipment for diy.  Again youtube will lead the way.  Next step would be to check with gauges.  It will tell the story to the techy with knowledge if expansion valve is the problem or something major.  Nothing else to do except also consider replacing with inverter type unit if its not already.  Elec bill savings will pay for it over time. 

Edited by TimeMachine

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Normally if that is blocked water starts to drip from the inside unit. I had a Jing jock block mine.  IME

Yeah, if the drain is blocked and you have a shop-vac (wet-n-dry) you can sometimes clear by sucking on the outside end of the drain.

Do not blow or you may end up with a load of stinky water in your room ???? 

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, if the drain is blocked and you have a shop-vac (wet-n-dry) you can sometimes clear by sucking on the outside end of the drain.

I actually did blow up mine to determine if it was blocked, out slid the slimy dead Jing Jock  :sick:????????

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I had a water drip prob, turned out the fitter hadn't installed it properly, the drain pipe rubber connected, at the room end, was twisted, plus the water catch tray wasn't level, so the tray had water in it all the time.....????

Took a while to sort it out without disturbing the gas stuff...????

On 8/9/2023 at 5:26 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Thank you all - very swift and good responses allround! 

I found a AC guy on FB and he'll swing by, he said fee is 400-700thb depending on issue and full cleaning. And, if I got the stamina, I'll pass it on to my landlord. 

Can you provide us with an update when done, either here on the forum or personal message.

Be interesting to see what the problem was and cost.

Get the stamina and pass it on to the landlord, it's your right as a tenant.

On 8/11/2023 at 5:56 PM, jesimps said:

A classic NanLaew reply.

Unless it is clearly stated in the rental agreement, it's a classic fact of Thai landlord's life.

This just in, landlords aren't responsible for replacing expired light bulbs that the tenant has been using either.

• Thumbs Up 1