No alcohol 3 weeks

bignok

16 minutes ago, carlyai said:

No only 86 days. 

Don't go overboard.

ha, I'm not a Buddhist. All or nothing for an alkie like me. Was only possible by turning my life and my will over to the care of a higher power, which I choose to call God. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

ha, I'm not a Buddhist. All or nothing for an alkie like me. Was only possible by turning my life and my will over to the care of a higher power, which I choose to call God. 

Well done Neeranan.

I only managed 70 odd days last time I tried. :)

Let the Mormons smile, wearing suit and tie, believe in God...

Oh actually my Landlord does too.

He has a sign at the wall saying:

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

To the topic:

I have every 2nd weekend off and the Friday then is to get hammered and looking if the sign is still hanging at his wall.

So 14 days booze break is for me the common practice... 

I grew up with a family member with alcohol addiction. As a child, it was horrible to watch

Later in my teens I had a hard time enjoying alcohol. The mental scars from childhood will always be there.

Alcoholism can hurt people close to you.

As a adult I've always been a very moderate drinker. First now as a older man 60+ can I enjoy a beer or 2, never more than 4.

Can go 1 year without any alcohol. Then have 2 beer 5 days a week, then stop for a month or a year. It's all about moderation.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Can't relate to the issue not being a drinker at all, quit smoking though several years ago, which i loved, owing to health concerns, other than that, no vices at all, a real angle I'm.

A right angle?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, proton said:

One thing more boring than a drunk are those constantly telling all and sundry how long it is since they had a drink ????

I stopped on June 19trh, how long is that now?????

Must be coming up to 7 weeks!

Mind you, I am doing it for ' weight reasons ' not ' alcohol problem related '  reasons.

6 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They say it can take 18-254 days

I quit smoking in one day and never tried again when I was 25yo right after serving military during the war (more than a pack a day). I quit beer 2 weeks ago, no more. Perhaps coffee will be next, even though I just drink a small cup every morning. 

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I stopped on June 19trh, how long is that now?????

Must be coming up to 7 weeks!

Mind you, I am doing it for ' weight reasons ' not ' alcohol problem related '  reasons.

Drinking can lose you weight- got to go out now and walk all the way to 7/11 as ran out and mrs has the car. Better take a big stick in case of dogs!

• Haha 1

Depending on the extent of liver damage, quitting for 30 days can reverse all of the damage leaving a person with a perfect liver. Quitting for 3 weeks as the OP stated is definitely going to help.  I quit in June for a couple months other than 2-3 nights out with friends,  I had slight liver concerns because of blood work I had done.  It seems like a wise sacrifice every now and then.

• Like 2

Just now, atpeace said:

Depending on the extent of liver damage, quitting for 30 days can reverse all of the damage leaving a person with a perfect liver. Quitting for 3 weeks as the OP stated is definitely going to help.  I quit in June for a couple months other than 2-3 nights out with friends,  I had slight liver concerns because of blood work I had done.  It seems like a wise sacrifice every now and then.

Good info didnt know.

• Haha 1

The OP doesn't say he is quitting - only that without alcohol for three weeks. I have withdrawn from alcohol (very small amount - less than equal to small beer or a glass of wine per day) on several occasions for the purpose of for example, contributing to lowering cholesterol or just for a rest!

I am not sure there were differences in my level of clear thinking but within about seven weeks my goal was reached.

In any event, if the OP IS trying to quit and is three weeks in, then he gets my vote for success so far!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

Interesting coincidence because I dropped my Aussie mate off to the airport to return home from a visit a year ago today. Which means I haven't had alcohol (usually beer) for one year today. Not sure why. I also haven't had a conversation with anyone other than the wife for the same period. Don't really like interacting with people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Interesting coincidence because I dropped my Aussie mate off to the airport to return home from a visit a year ago today. Which means I haven't had alcohol (usually beer) for one year today. Not sure why. I also haven't had a conversation with anyone other than the wife for the same period. Don't really like interacting with people.

Ok

22 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

The OP doesn't say he is quitting - only that without alcohol for three weeks. I have withdrawn from alcohol (very small amount - less than equal to small beer or a glass of wine per day) on several occasions for the purpose of for example, contributing to lowering cholesterol or just for a rest!

I am not sure there were differences in my level of clear thinking but within about seven weeks my goal was reached.

In any event, if the OP IS trying to quit and is three weeks in, then he gets my vote for success so far!

Experimenting. I enjoyed by last Beerlao but stopped at 1. 

9 hours ago, carlyai said:

It takes 86 days to stop.

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact. And how long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances.

Science

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-it-take-to-form-a-habit

• Like 1

Drinking is so over rated, and anyone who drinks daily is an addict. Going several days or a week or two without a drink is a very healthy thing to do, and demonstrates control over ones life. Nothing wrong with a drink here and there. It is the daily drinking that can get out of control. Who's life is it, anyway? 

• Like 1

1 year 8 months… quit cause it got boring after 48 years of steady enjoying beers and (good) Tequila … Rarely see any Farangs in the village so not convenient to sit and enjoy a nice chat over some beers..

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact. And how long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances.

Science

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-it-take-to-form-a-habit

Thanks for link. 2 months and a bit.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Drinking is so over rated, and anyone who drinks daily is an addict. Going several days or a week or two without a drink is a very healthy thing to do, and demonstrates control over ones life. Nothing wrong with a drink here and there. It is the daily drinking that can get out of control. Who's life is it, anyway? 

If a person can enjoy a glass of wine or beer a day, it's not an addiction, and can actually be beneficial to health. Over one drink it can start to be a problem. Weekend drinking, a few glasses, isn't an addiction in any way. People have been drinkers and lived to 100, as long as they drink moderately,  eat healthy, exercise and get enough sleep.

• Like 1