Scottish man becomes latest victim of Thailand’s perilous roads

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You really have a point with tourists, depending where they come from. Most countries drive on the right, and one of the big problems when converting to the left is looking the wrong way when crossing traffic and intersections. It takes a long time to adapt completely to the other side to the point of it becoming instinctual. You often see tourists sauntering across a road while looking the wrong way.

Of course the Scottish guy who was killed doesn't have this excuse, but it is a problem for many tourists.

Didn’t take me that long to adapt to it at all. I look both ways out of principal! Having said that, going left around a roundabout was a bit of a mind<deleted> the first time, but then again, Bangkok, which is where I lived, is so busy with that you essentially just flow with the traffic wherever it goes, which definitely helps. What also helps is to imagine that you’re on the overtaking lane at all times! ???? 

Edited by pacovl46

16 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You really have a point with tourists, depending where they come from. Most countries drive on the right, and one of the big problems when converting to the left is looking the wrong way when crossing traffic and intersections. It takes a long time to adapt completely to the other side to the point of it becoming instinctual. You often see tourists sauntering across a road while looking the wrong way.

Of course the Scottish guy who was killed doesn't have this excuse, but it is a problem for many tourists.

Brits, Aussies, Kiwis drive on the left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bignok said:

I am not a tourist, and I still have that problem (US driver) , I always have to make a mental note to look the right way. After 20 years of driving here, I still walk to the passenger side of the car and as I open the door I drop the F word. LOL

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not a tourist, and I still have that problem (US driver) , I always have to make a mental note to look the right way. After 20 years of driving here, I still walk to the passenger side of the car and as I open the door I drop the F word. LOL

In Laos i nearly got run over looking wrong way. So i started looking both ways.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Dan747 said:

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand has one of the highest rates of road traffic deaths in the world, with the majority of fatalities involving motorbikes. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation reports that, on average, about 70 people die each day as a result of road accidents in Thailand. Of these fatalities, 74% are motorbike riders and passengers. According to the Department of Land Transport, there were 22,134 motorbike accidents in Thailand in 2020, resulting in 19,226 injuries and 6,142 deaths.

These numbers are low since it only reports death on the road those who die later aren't then what isn't reported is the millions and billion to car for those who don't die. 

Yet inspite of the lack of improvement W. H. O.  continues to hand millions to Thailand yearly to help with the problem without demanding results. Yearly at best after the handout you see signs about wearing helmets if that but I'm sure officials appreciate it. 

Cut the funding! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, circa02 said:

Nightmare, I think many of us with a bike have been guilty of nipping the shops without a helmet especially if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk, becoming more conscious of it recently with the amount of attention local accidents are getting on social media.

if you've adopted Thainess and will take the bike 350metres rather than just walk,   Or what's commonly known as being very lazy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

In Laos i nearly got run over looking wrong way. So i started looking both ways.

Easy to do , especially when in a conversation , distracted and your mind on automatic. Has also happened to me.

But in countries such a Laos, and Thailand it's always an good idea to look both ways  regardless. Just because you are looking the right way, it does not mean there isn't someone driving the wrong way of the street. . LOL 

I see it all the time, and I am sure you have also.  

Sorry to read about the Scot , looks like a nice guy who went out in to do the things he had to do, Who thinks this is their last day in this world?

Can you imagine the poor wife being told she would never see her husband again? I know my wife would be devastated, It raise the hair on my arm thing about it.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sidjameson said:

The wife constantly urging caution if reported accurately suggests he was reckless in some way.

Not necessarily. I don't drive a car faster than 80 kph even on an empty road, but my wife says the same kind of thing regularly. It's a sign of care and concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

More likely just an inexperienced rider. Riding a motorbike requires 360º awareness at all times, but who knows why he veered off. Mishandling of the controls? 

Pissed or high.

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, sidjameson said:

The wife constantly urging caution if reported accurately suggests he was reckless in some way.

Not necessarily. I don't drive a car faster than 80 kph even on an empty road, but my wife says the same kind of thing regularly. It's a sign of care and concern.

• Confused 1

A lot of analysis is going on here. Why not say a prayer for Robert's soul instead?

“O my God!  O Thou forgiver of sins, bestower of gifts, dispeller of afflictions! 

Verily, I beseech thee to forgive the sins of such as have abandoned the physical garment and have ascended to the spiritual world. O my Lord!  Purify them from trespasses, dispel their sorrows, and change their darkness into light.  Cause them to enter the garden of happiness, cleanse them with the most pure water, and grant them to behold Thy splendors on the loftiest mount.” Abdu’l-Baha

“O Lord, glorify his station, shelter him under the pavilion of Thy supreme mercy, cause him to enter Thy glorious paradise, and perpetuate his existence in Thine exalted rose garden, that he may plunge into the sea of light in the world of mysteries. Verily, Thou art the Generous, the Powerful, the Forgiver and the Bestower.” Abdu’l-Bahá

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

You need helmets not careers on bikes

Really Sherlock,

And you have never jumped on a bike and driven 200 or 300 yards because the shop was near and handy and you were only going to be a couple of minutes?

Heartless response on the death of a man who is another tragic victim on the infamous roads.

The majority of motorcycle helmets available in the Kingdom are not worth wearing and offer next to no protection.

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Not if sensible.

Your empathy is heartwarming.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Dan747 said:

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand has one of the highest rates of road traffic deaths in the world, with the majority of fatalities involving motorbikes. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation reports that, on average, about 70 people die each day as a result of road accidents in Thailand. Of these fatalities, 74% are motorbike riders and passengers. According to the Department of Land Transport, there were 22,134 motorbike accidents in Thailand in 2020, resulting in 19,226 injuries and 6,142 deaths.

The math doesn't add up.

70 × 365 = 25,550

74 % of 25,550 = 18,907

Where does the 6,142 fit in?

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Really Sherlock,

And you have never jumped on a bike and driven 200 or 300 yards because the shop was near and handy and you were only going to be a couple of minutes?

Heartless response on the death of a man who is another tragic victim on the infamous roads.

The majority of motorcycle helmets available in the Kingdom are not worth wearing and offer next to no protection.

Your empathy is heartwarming.

Been riding bikes since age 6. In Thailand I walk 800m not ride. I ride slowly too. I dont take risks.

If you take risks and die nobody to blame but yourself.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

Many of us have and we shouldn't. Most accident happen in such circumstances simply because the majority of driving for most people is done close to home, and our comfort level is higher causing us to take more chances,   I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. 

"Approximately 52 percent of all car accidents occur within a 5 mile  radius of home, "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Was parked up near my local bus station at 4pm yesterday, waiting for my son. Nearby High School turned out. The road was awash with motorbikes with 2,3 and even 4 youngsters aboard going home. Masks aplenty, but not one helmet to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!! If 16/17 year old kids cannot obey the rules, what hope is there for the future.

They don't wear a helmet 'cause it ain't pretty like taking the mirrors off the handlebars

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Many of us have and we shouldn't. Most accident happen in such circumstances simply because the majority of driving for most people is done close to home, and our comfort level is higher causing us to take more chances,   I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. 

"Approximately 52 percent of all car accidents occur within a 5 mile  radius of home, "

52 vs 48 isnt much different.

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

How is he a victim? The reported said he veered onto the wrong side of the road. So the other guy was the victim of a reckless farang riding poorly.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The fateful collision occurred as the Scottish man was on his way to local shops in Krabi’s Ao Nang district. His motorbike veered into the opposite lane, leading to a head-on crash with a motorcycle-and-sidecar vehicle.

One of those illegal death-traps that shouldn't be on the road!  Regardless of who was responsible, it shouldn't have happened. 

I was involved in an accident with one of those in 2015.  I said to the police inspector, "I presume he doesn't have insurance?"; he just looked at me, raised his hands, shook his head and walked away.

Condolences to the victim's family.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

52 vs 48 isnt much different.

It is, because it is about half. If we could cut that half by half, it would be a 25% seduction in accidents. Not a trivial percentage IMO . 

I don't think it would ever happen because it is human nature , but it is a good thing to keep in mind, and if it could save some lives, i think it is worth it. 

We get in the car and I tell the wife to put her seatbelt on, she says  "But we are only going down the corner"  the seatbelt alarm will stop soon.   Put it on anyway I tell her.

After a while it becomes an automatic thing and you don't even know you are doing it. 

53 minutes ago, bignok said:

You're lucky you didn't get run over earlier if you don't look up and down the road you're soon dead in Thailand

Just now, sirineou said:

It is, because it is about half. If we could cut that half by half, it would be a 25% seduction in accidents. Not a trivial percentage IMO . 

I don't think it would ever happen because it is human nature , but it is a good thing to keep in mind, and if it could save some lives, i think it is worth it. 

We get in the car and I tell the wife to put her seatbelt on, she says  "But we are only going down the corner"  the seatbelt alarm will stop soon.   Put it on anyway I tell her.

After a while it becomes an automatic thing and you don't even know you are doing it. 

Cant change the world, only yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1