Country living benefits

bignok

I just spent 12 years at the top of a very attractive mountain in the Blue Ridges. It was so quiet in winter that you could hear the snow hitting the ground. I had an old growth forest 50 steps behind my house.

Too much of a good thing. I doubt I'll ever live at that level of remoteness again.

I'm right now ordering in from Ging Gri, the best Thai place in Nimman. An incredible feast will be here in 20 minutes. When I got to Appalachia, I asked my wife where we went to eat, she said, "the kitchen" - a room which I had previously used mostly to store vodka and hot sauce.

No, I'm not living anywhere that doesn't offer B+ sushi within a 10 minute walk. Ever again.

Edited by LaosLover

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

I just spent 12 years at the top of a very attractive mountain in the Blue Ridges. It was so quiet in winter that you could hear the snow hitting the ground. I had an old growth forest 50 steps behind my house.

Too much of a good thing. I doubt I'll ever live at that level of remoteness again.

I'm right now ordering in from Ging Gri, the best Thai place in Nimman. An incredible feast will be here in 20 minutes. When I got to Appalachia, I asked my wife where we went to eat, she said, "the kitchen" - a room in which I had previously used mostly to store vodka and hot sauce.

No, I'm not living anywhere that doesn't offer B+ sushi within a 10 minute walk. Ever again.

hows the falafel and GC scene out there in paradise???  traffic should be nice today-sunday

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I mix it up, half in my condo, half in a Thai village.

If I get depressed, it's mostly due to the ignorance I see on display on ASEAN.

Some members do appear struggle with the cultural assimilation aspects of life in the Big Durian such as the cops NOT tazering a rowdy airport passenger (who was leaving the country anyway!).

I do the half-and-half thing too except it's a clean break outside Thailand 2 or 3 times a year. A change is as good as a rest as my dad used to say and allows me to anorak on the different aircraft interiors of different carriers.

14 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I'm right now ordering in from Ging Gri, the best Thai place in Nimman. An incredible feast will be here in 20 minutes. When I got to Appalachia, I asked my wife where we went to eat, she said, "the kitchen" - a room which I had previously used mostly to store vodka and hot sauce.

What makes a man into fancy sushi and art house cinema and theatre and bands and culture etc spend 12 years in the middle of nowhere albeit a pretty middle of nowhere. Interesting. 

When I first planned to retire in Thailand I had a picture of fruit trees and forest with my girlfriend near Chanthaburi or something but the closer I get I think I want western comforts such as in Pattaya or Phuket. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

What makes a man into fancy sushi and art house cinema and theatre and bands and culture etc spend 12 years in the middle of nowhere albeit a pretty middle of nowhere. Interesting. 

As always, Checher La Femme. 

Those years were very valuable in terms of meditation and really feeling the nature. I went on two week retreats a couple of times a year. And the Appalachian culture of music, food, family life wasn't all bad.

But lesson learned, I feel dug up from the dead.

I'm always interested in people who moved to Roi Et for a woman and made it stick.  People like us are one in a million.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I much prefer to live in a rural setting, despite the material disadvantages.

We enjoy 'excellent' or 'satisfactory' air quality for just about every day of the year. (according to Air4Thai) We get get fresh, unadulterated food from farm to plate and I can be out walking in the countryside, which I like to do daily, within moments of leaving my front gate.

I do not need the 'trappings' of urban life to keep me happy and I find cities a very stressful environment, even for a short visit. I have plenty to do out here that keeps contented with my life.

The moon is very remote though. You have done well.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

It's challenging but three years into the stint and I think it will all work out.  I've gone, I think, close to a year without speaking English to anyone other than phone calls.  I'm the quintessential loner but it has been more difficult than expected.  It is so easy to let yourself fall into a mentally unhealthy lifestyle.  Once or twice a year I catch myself being lazy and not putting any effort into my mental health.  Physically I'm extremely healthy throughout the year which gives me a decent foundation to regather my wits and I usually recover in a week or two.  

Meditating helps me realize how good things are here and I doubt I would have any issues if I did meditate consistently but as I mentioned, I get lazy. Having a couple things that are very challenging helps but I find it hard to find challenges during the hot months.  It is so easy to close the blackout blinds, crank the AC and veg.  This never ends well but I easily can convince myself this time will be different.

I've lived big in big cities and at the end of the day I think my life is better here being a nobody in nowhere Thailand.

In Isaan?

4 hours ago, bignok said:

In Isaan?

Yes, I am east of Ubon on the Mekong. Was traveling and the lockdown restrictions kept me here as well as the GF family.  She left the family at 16 to work at S&P in Bangkok and it has been wonderful for her.  Built a small home in lieu of paying the daily hotel rate after 5 months. Been an interesting experience and amazed how time has left this place behind in many ways.

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

Yes, I am east of Ubon on the Mekong. Was traveling and the lockdown restrictions kept me here as well as the GF family.  She left the family at 16 to work at S&P in Bangkok and it has been wonderful for her.  Built a small home in lieu of paying the daily hotel rate after 5 months. Been an interesting experience and amazed how time has left this place behind in many ways.

You must be in Khong Jiam or similar village.

Isaan I like. Food no. If they had Lanna food I could live there.

18 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Spent 40 years kipping in the back of a truck in the UK, Europe and occasionally the Middle East/Asia, but lived in a little village in North Yorkshire, always picked where I parked up for the night depending what I wanted. Now I live in another rural setting in the Central area of LOS if I fancy seeing the sights of the big city 4 hours to Bangkok, 6 hours to Pattaya, holidays at least 3/4 times a year, happy as a butchers dog.

How safe was that sleeping in a truck at night by the side of the road? I wouldn't want to do it 

23 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

When I first planned to retire in Thailand I had a picture of fruit trees and forest with my girlfriend near Chanthaburi or something but the closer I get I think I want western comforts such as in Pattaya or Phuket. 

There are Western comforts outside of Disneyland... living in Thailand is fascinating if you want to learn about a new culture, language and way of living... though I think trashing people different from you will not be respected. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are Western comforts outside of Disneyland... living in Thailand is fascinating if you want to learn about a new culture,

you don't necessarily have to stay in a place for years and years to experience the culture. maybe 1 year or several months is enough for some people. 

12 hours ago, bignok said:

You must be in Khong Jiam or similar village.

Isaan I like. Food no. If they had Lanna food I could live there.

GF lived/worked with an executive at S&P for 25 years that was always experimenting with food so  her cooking is well rounded.  I'm easy so don't think it would matter much if she wasn't a good cook but it is nice regardless.  I get in food ruts as well as mental ones.  Coffee with lots of cream and sugar, pea protein and a can of tuna in the morning, huge protein (250 g meat) mostly Thai lunch she cooks, Then 4-5 70g bags of cereal I buy at 7 Eleven spread out the rest of the day with another pea protein drink.  ~ 4000 calories down the hatch and Rinse and repeat!

I do live near Khong Chiam as you mentioned.  A wonderful place if you are into unique landscapes with constant undulating hills.  Some incredible restaurants on the river if you know where to find them.  There is one farang in town - a French guy that owns a gold shop in town but have never spoke.  He is busy with his shop and 2-3 kids.  I definitely live a strange life but I think it is going to end well.

• Like 2

You need to live where you feel the most comfortable, and can enjoy what hobbies you might have. I live in deep south Sisaket province, not too far from Cambodia. It's very quiet and there is no crime besides some idiot farmer that keeps killing our village's dogs. I have been here over 5 years and absolutely hate it now. I had a falling out with my now ex wife but I still live in the house I had built.                                                                                                                                                                                     The main problem is, I can't do my two most important hobbies here. Hunting and fishing. Hunting isn't allowed, nor has species I would consider hunting anyway. There is good catfishing and carp in Thailand, but mainly in private or pay and fish lakes, none of which are nearby that have fish of any size. There is Sirindhorn reservoir near Ubon that I'm sure has good fishing because of it's sheer size and inability to be netted, which is the main reason lakes here are void of large fish. I like Bass and Pike family fishing, and the only bass in Asia are in Japan.                                                                                                                                          This is what makes this place so boring. I'm not a heavy drinker, and not a bar person, so that's not a possibility.                                   I would like to live back in the States in an area like I'm in now. Close to a major city, so I can have restaurants and a gym, but far enough out to have a peaceful location. This is why I will move back asap with my daughter.       Thai food is great, but I had that back in Texas and it rivaled any here, because the restaurants I went to were owned by Thais that moved there. Austin and San Antonio have Asian markets that have just about every Asian food you can get here. Driving where I live is relatively safe until you leave the village. Then it's as bad as anywhere in Thailand besides Bangkok, where I've never seen such idiocy, even when I worked in NYC. No comparison.                                                                                                   Many come here to escape the cities in other countries where they're from, and if they are happy with that, that's good. The older you get, the more you have to keep busy doing things, especially things you've always liked. Getting stagnant makes you older. And having people you can relate to, as in other foreigners is always a good thing, unless you are anti social and just want to be left alone, which again brings stagnation.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 11:24 AM, LaosLover said:

I'm always interested in people who moved to Roi Et for a woman and made it stick.  People like us are one in a million.

As always, it depends on one's point of view. There are some that regard retirees here as failures.

OTOH, I made the move because I felt stifled in my home country. How many men have the guts in their 60's to learn a new language, immerse themselves in a foreign culture, and walk away from everything that is familiar and comfortable?

I once worked with a guy whose ambitions were to marry his sweetheart, have kids, buy a house in his home suburb, and barrack for his football team for the rest of his life, attending every match.

He ridiculed me for wanting to travel. One of his ambitions was achieved when his wife ( good Catholics ) presented him with twins.

I didn't hear any more about him, maybe he is content. A pretty dull life IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As always, it depends on one's point of view. There are some that regard retirees here as failures.

OTOH, I made the move because I felt stifled in my home country. How many men have the guts in their 60's to learn a new language, immerse themselves in a foreign culture, and walk away from everything that is familiar and comfortable?

I once worked with a guy whose ambitions were to marry his sweetheart, have kids, buy a house in his home suburb, and barrack for his football team for the rest of his life, attending every match.

He ridiculed me for wanting to travel. One of his ambitions was achieved when his wife ( good Catholics ) presented him with twins.

I didn't hear any more about him, maybe he is content. A pretty dull life IMO.

Scary stuff ... I actually agree with one of your posts ????

I like this group because it's people who did do what they wanted in their life, which is prob at most 1% of the world. Sometimes, it ends up a sad story, but they're 10 a penny back home too.

The story they tell is that you went mad and that's that. You're inconveniently happy, so that part gets erased. An old guy here yesterday described himself as happy as a butcher's dog. How likely is that sentiment to be conveyed back home?

We'd had enough of mountain solitude, were sick of her family b/s and the increasingly oppressive lord-loving Trump vibe, so we bounced to Mexico City and then here.

There's a whole soap opera they made up about us where we're villains (crazy villains). Next time they try to guilt us, we'll def be referencing a butcher's dog.

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I like this group because it's people who did do what they wanted in their life, which is prob at most 1% of the world. Sometimes, it ends up a sad story, but they're 10 a penny back home too.

The story they tell is that you went mad and that's that. You're inconveniently happy, so that part gets erased. An old guy here yesterday described himself as happy as a butcher's dog. How likely is that sentiment to be conveyed back home?

We'd had enough of mountain solitude, were sick of her family b/s and the increasingly oppressive lord-loving Trump vibe, so we bounced to Mexico City and then here.

There's a whole soap opera they made up about us where we're villains (crazy villains). Next time they try to guilt us, we'll def be referencing a butcher's dog.

You're reminding me of a woman at a party in Australia who decided to take me to task about moving to Thailand, and having a Thai GF.

I said " Unlike here, she can't take half my assets if we split. She cooks for me, washes and irons my clothes, trims my toenails, cuts my hair. She is 23 years younger than me, is great in bed, and never has a headache. Tell me where in Australia I can find a woman like that".

I thought she was going to throw her glass of wine in my face, presumably she thought better of it.

• Thumbs Up 2