Country living benefits

bignok

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You're reminding me of a woman at a party in Australia who decided to take me to task about moving to Thailand, and having a Thai GF.

I said " Unlike here, she can't take half my assets if we split. She cooks for me, washes and irons my clothes, trims my toenails, cuts my hair. She is 23 years younger than me, is great in bed, and never has a headache. Tell me where in Australia I can find a woman like that".

I thought she was going to throw her glass of wine in my face, presumably she thought better of it.

Thinking that your sex gives you the right the to throw a glass of wine in someone's face with impunity is delusional. Happy people don't act out like that.

The story I want to hear here is from a guy who moved to Roi Et, and then moved back to Pattaya, without losing the girl. Or better yet: back to Pattaya solo, weekends in Roi Et, fun on the side.

There was a guy here recently gagging to bolt from the rice paddy, but was heavily bought in there. He needs to google sunk cost fallacy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

You need to live where you feel the most comfortable, and can enjoy what hobbies you might have. I live in deep south Sisaket province, not too far from Cambodia. It's very quiet and there is no crime besides some idiot farmer that keeps killing our village's dogs. I have been here over 5 years and absolutely hate it now. I had a falling out with my now ex wife but I still live in the house I had built.                                                                                                                                                                                     The main problem is, I can't do my two most important hobbies here. Hunting and fishing. Hunting isn't allowed, nor has species I would consider hunting anyway. There is good catfishing and carp in Thailand, but mainly in private or pay and fish lakes, none of which are nearby that have fish of any size. There is Sirindhorn reservoir near Ubon that I'm sure has good fishing because of it's sheer size and inability to be netted, which is the main reason lakes here are void of large fish. I like Bass and Pike family fishing, and the only bass in Asia are in Japan.                                                                                                                                          This is what makes this place so boring. I'm not a heavy drinker, and not a bar person, so that's not a possibility.                                   I would like to live back in the States in an area like I'm in now. Close to a major city, so I can have restaurants and a gym, but far enough out to have a peaceful location. This is why I will move back asap with my daughter.       Thai food is great, but I had that back in Texas and it rivaled any here, because the restaurants I went to were owned by Thais that moved there. Austin and San Antonio have Asian markets that have just about every Asian food you can get here. Driving where I live is relatively safe until you leave the village. Then it's as bad as anywhere in Thailand besides Bangkok, where I've never seen such idiocy, even when I worked in NYC. No comparison.                                                                                                   Many come here to escape the cities in other countries where they're from, and if they are happy with that, that's good. The older you get, the more you have to keep busy doing things, especially things you've always liked. Getting stagnant makes you older. And having people you can relate to, as in other foreigners is always a good thing, unless you are anti social and just want to be left alone, which again brings stagnation.

US is expensive isnt it? Move to beach town thailand

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are Western comforts outside of Disneyland... living in Thailand is fascinating if you want to learn about a new culture, language and way of living... though I think trashing people different from you will not be respected. 

Fair point. I see Pattaya not as Disneyland but a pretty normal place in many parts but everything is close by. Would consider alternatives if I can think of them. Maybe I am talking about the broader area rather than central Pattaya.

I like Thai people, you'll never find me trashing them hopefully, as I get older I am a bit less likely to become totally immersed into a new culture, enjoying it from a bit of distance living a bit of a western life, six month here and six months there. 

• Like 1

The main problem is, I can't do my two most important hobbies here. Hunting and fishing. brings stagnation.

Consider Laos. I def saw hunting and fishing by westerners.

However, you might yet grow to pine for the bright lights of Sisaket in a place like Oudamoxi.

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

US is expensive isnt it? Move to beach town thailand

Expensive yes, but has all you could  ever want as far as hobbies and interests, and food from everywhere. I'd rather just get by in a place I belong, then have more in a place I don't want to be.

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Consider Laos. I def saw hunting and fishing by westerners.

However, you might yet grow to pine for the bright lights of Sisaket in a place like Oudamoxi.

I'm a deer hunter, specifically whitetail deer, and they are only native to North America, Mexico and Canada. Laos is mainly hog hunting, and I can do that in Texas anywhere. They are considered pests. Laos has the same fishing as Thailand. It's good for some big Catfish ,Carp, and a few others, but not what I'm really into. I'm done here, and have been for quite awhile. Thailand has a lot of pretty places, and nice beaches, but I can get that back home, although the beaches aren't near as pretty as here. The fishing here is heavily netted and unregulated for the most part. there is little conservation besides the national parks, and fish can only get bigger if you let them grow, and leave their bait alone. Here they eat the bait.

I have the best of both worlds, I live on Koh Chang, hardly any pollution, in a small village, some of the best beaches in the world, 10min drive away, Macro, bars, pubs, live music, etc.  wife has her own shop, 3min away near 7/11, the only disadvantage is going to the mainland for a decent govt. hospital, price of fuel, and of course my f'ing postman. 

I was brought up in the countryside cities not my thing. 

'Cept Bristol city everything was within walking distance.

Edited by brianthainess

On 8/12/2023 at 11:36 PM, LaosLover said:

I just spent 12 years at the top of a very attractive mountain in the Blue Ridges. It was so quiet in winter that you could hear the snow hitting the ground. I had an old growth forest 50 steps behind my house.

Too much of a good thing. I doubt I'll ever live at that level of remoteness again.

I'm right now ordering in from Ging Gri, the best Thai place in Nimman. An incredible feast will be here in 20 minutes. When I got to Appalachia, I asked my wife where we went to eat, she said, "the kitchen" - a room which I had previously used mostly to store vodka and hot sauce.

No, I'm not living anywhere that doesn't offer B+ sushi within a 10 minute walk. Ever again.

I know the blue ridge well especially the parkway...friend and i walked all 252.2 miles of it in north carollina  from nc/va border to milepost 469 in cherokee...did 10 miles a day five days a week for 5 weeks...maybe one of best things i have ever done...did it at age 72 and both of us glad we did it when we did as those mountains aren't getting any flatter that we can tell but we are sure getting older......but i don't think i would want to live there especially year round..gets cold way up in those mountains...

I'm a deer hunter, specifically whitetail deer, and they are only native to North America, Mexico and Canada. Laos is mainly hog hunting, and I can do that in Texas anywhere. They are considered pests. Laos has the same fishing as Thailand. It's good for some big Catfish ,Carp, and a few others, but not what I'm really into. I'm done here, and have been for quite awhile. Thailand has a lot of pretty places, and nice beaches, but I can get that back home, although the beaches aren't near as pretty as here. The fishing here is heavily netted and unregulated for the most part. there is little conservation besides the national parks, and fish can only get bigger if you let them grow, and leave their bait alone. Here they eat the bait.

Thanks for your post. It's really interesting to hear about hunting etc. here. You may be the one in a thousand people I meet here who should think about going home. You really miss your thing. I get it.

Where I lived, deer hunting was behind only college football as a mega-interest. I was kidding about moving to Oudamoxi. If you did that on my say-so, you'd be hunting for me, not deer.

I'm a Don't Kill Bambi-type.  We toss out deer apples in late fall on our land back home and they have an old barn to hang out in. We planted winter berries for them too. It's like Club Med for deer.

Edited by LaosLover

I moved to south-east Asia about 21 years ago, initially living in Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket etc) but then relocating to Laos and Myanmar for work.  I have lived in some pretty remote places in those countries.  I prefer the rural country lifestyle and I'm no longer restricted in what I do/where I live by a partner.

Some might find such remote living a challenge, especially when living on one's own.  But although I am alone I am not lonely. My main hobby (shortwave amateur radio) benefits from rural living where the electrical noise is minimal and there is room to install antennas.

I could live by the sea (and have done so in Phuket, Samui and Phangan).  But after being stung by a box jellyfish early year in Phangan and almost dying (I truly thought that I was about to die!), I'm happy not to live near the beach.

A lung condition means that I have to live in hot and humid climates, and I know what happens if I don't stick to this need.  So I'm very happy with my lot and enjoy the simple life admiring nature and doing my best to stay below the radar of the anti-ham radio police guys in Laos ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Thanks for your post. It's really interesting to hear about hunting etc. here. You may be the one in a thousand people I meet here who should think about going home. You really miss your thing. I get it.

Where I lived, deer hunting was behind only college football as a mega-interest. I was kidding about moving to Oudamoxi. If you did that on my say-so, you'd be hunting for me, not deer.

I'm a Don't Kill Bambi-type.  We toss out deer apples in late fall on our land back home and they have an old barn to hang out in. We planted winter berries for them too. It's like Club Med for deer.

I missed it for 4 years while living here and fighting with my ex over her insanity regarding my daughter. I went back last year to visit and as soon as I was there the first day, I was home. Going back this fall again. I don't kill Bambi. I'm after his father.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I moved to south-east Asia about 21 years ago, initially living in Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket etc) but then relocating to Laos and Myanmar for work.  I have lived in some pretty remote places in those countries.  I prefer the rural country lifestyle and I'm no longer restricted in what I do/where I live by a partner.

Some might find such remote living a challenge, especially when living on one's own.  But although I am alone I am not lonely. My main hobby (shortwave amateur radio) benefits from rural living where the electrical noise is minimal and there is room to install antennas.

I could live by the sea (and have done so in Phuket, Samui and Phangan).  But after being stung by a box jellyfish early year in Phangan and almost dying (I truly thought that I was about to die!), I'm happy not to live near the beach.

A lung condition means that I have to live in hot and humid climates, and I know what happens if I don't stick to this need.  So I'm very happy with my lot and enjoy the simple life admiring nature and doing my best to stay below the radar of the anti-ham radio police guys in Laos ????

Dad used to be a ham operator. I remember him in the basement calling out to people all over and being in wonder that he could talk back then, 1965-1974, to people all over the world on a radio he built himself. Still have his call letters, K2BVO. King 2  ,Baker, Victor, Ocean.  Kilowatt 2, B for Baker, V-Victoria ,O - Ocean. heard them so many times you couldn't forget.

When I retired, there were a few things I wanted to do:

• Live in a tropical climate
  • Design my own house
  • Have a bit of land to keep me busy
  • Rehabilitate said land to try and attract a bit of nature
  • Have fish ponds with a variety of species (not obtainable in Australia)
  • Have tortoises and other exotic pets (not available in Australia).

Thailand was affordable and has kept me busy doing the above. We live on about 1 hectare on the edge of town which has everything needed for day to day living. The nearest city (with airport) is Khon Kaen, about 45 km away for everything else.

I've lived here nearly 10 years now. I can see the time when property maintenance will get difficult for my age. I always said we would stay 10 years and then decide whether to stay in Thailand or move back to Australia (if affordable). The time for that decision is coming and I'm still not sure.

Luckily my Thai wife is an Australian and Thai citizen which makes things a bit easier.

56 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I know the blue ridge well especially the parkway......but i don't think i would want to live there especially year round..gets cold way up in those mountains...

We were in the far NW corner of NC, unfortunately, in a non-posh part, but it was the same John Denver-inspiring view.

Winter bleakness and Rebel Yell bourbon had a half a dozen guys typically topping themselves before the spring. One trailer had six suicides take place in it.

And then of course, anti-vax craziness emptied out whole villages. So many died that Biden is emboldened to try to turn NC blue again. They shoulda moved to Pattaya. 

The ol' ways are all but gone. They may have a Doc Watson Highway a postage stamp, and know his face from a many a mural hoping to "revive" some dying downtown, but I never met a single Appalachian who'd heard his music. He lived in a brick ranch down the road from me. He would draw a much bigger audience in Europe than in my town.

Same as Chiang Mai. It would be a rare CM native who'd ever taken a peek into a hill tribe village. 

Edited by LaosLover

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I would like to live back in the States in an area like I'm in now. Close to a major city, so I can have restaurants and a gym, but far enough out to have a peaceful location. This is why I will move back asap with my daughter.  Many come here to escape the cities in other countries where they're from, and if they are happy with that, that's good. 

Brings back memories of fishing little streams in the Rockies and camping under a chilly star filled sky.  Not into the lake fishing but that's just me.  Best of luck with the new life!

As for needing more motivation as we age, I disagree.  Many young in the states are mentally in a bad place.  Happiness can be slippery at any age and the key for me is never settling for being unhappy wherever I find myself.  The cliché, happiness isn't a destination rings true for me in most situations.  It's hard and lonely at times but I have always ultimately found happiness but sometimes it took more effort than I wanted to give. Those times were brief and tough.

Recently I built an elevated patio overlooking 30x30 meter fish pond on our property with a solar battery setup that brings it to life at night. Last night while reading a bad book, I was happier than at a 5 star resort in Phuket.   I guess what I'm saying is that being happy is pretty darn important and you should do everything possible,  even if seems crazy, to get to a better place.  You might be amazed how a simple change brings a different outlook on life.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Brings back memories of fishing little streams in the Rockies and camping under a chilly star filled sky.  Not into the lake fishing but that's just me.  Best of luck with the new life!

As for needing more motivation as we age, I disagree.  Many young in the states are mentally in a bad place.  Happiness can be slippery at any age and the key for me is never settling for being unhappy wherever I find myself.  The cliché, happiness isn't a destination rings true for me in most situations.  It's hard and lonely at times but I have always ultimately found happiness but sometimes it took more effort than I wanted to give. Those times were brief and tough.

Recently I built an elevated patio overlooking 30x30 meter fish pond on our property with a solar battery setup that brings it to life at night. Last night while reading a bad book, I was happier than at a 5 star resort in Phuket.   I guess what I'm saying is that being happy is pretty darn important and you should do everything possible,  even if seems crazy, to get to a better place.  You might be amazed how a simple change brings a different outlook on life.

My longest known friend, who is stricken with dementia and can't yet get around, lived in Fort Collins and fished the Cache La Poudre river there. I always wanted to visit him, as I do like trout fishing, but moved here. I miss back home so much that it's in my mind daily. Yes, you have to be where you feel at home. That's never been here, as I discovered.

• Like 1

My longest known friend, who is stricken with dementia and can't yet get around, lived in Fort Collins and fished the Cache La Poudre river there. I always wanted to visit him, as I do like trout fishing, but moved here. I miss back home so much that it's in my mind daily. Yes, you have to be where you feel at home. That's never been here, as I discovered.

Don't think too much Fred, God is always with you.

I love Thailand. Feels home to me. Susaket would be boring though.

I miss back home so much that it's in my mind daily. Yes, you have to be where you feel at home. That's never been here, as I discovered.

I never blame the place, and certainly not the bad-fit JesusLand that I literally feel like I was released from jail from.

I'm more like, "It's all great, but most places are not selling what I'm dying to buy".

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you don't necessarily have to stay in a place for years and years to experience the culture. maybe 1 year or several months is enough for some people. 

sure, get your toes wet... 

ps - one of our posters here stated that he was so pleased that he was understood when asking for something at the store... 2 weeks later, he boasted that he now can speak Thai... 

sure, he learned a sentence but someone who has been speaking for 20 years surely has a better understanding of the language than he does. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I missed it for 4 years while living here and fighting with my ex over her insanity regarding my daughter. I went back last year to visit and as soon as I was there the first day, I was home. Going back this fall again. I don't kill Bambi. I'm after his father.

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Fair point. I see Pattaya not as Disneyland but a pretty normal place in many parts but everything is close by. Would consider alternatives if I can think of them. Maybe I am talking about the broader area rather than central Pattaya.

I like Thai people, you'll never find me trashing them hopefully, as I get older I am a bit less likely to become totally immersed into a new culture, enjoying it from a bit of distance living a bit of a western life, six month here and six months there. 

just look at a map if you want alternatives, though for most, and the assimilation process usually begins w/having a Thai lady as your gateway into a new area. My wife has a wonderful family and group of friends in the village - adding to that, going into town every day and picking up my niece at school led me to another world of friends in our nearby city - - I enjoyed my years in the village and enjoy going back... 

• Like 1

I live in Bangkok. I wouldn't want to live in Phuket, CM or Pattaya. Pass on rural lifestyle, I'd drink myself into a stupor.

The provs are like four pegs down. Any Thai with a brain long left for opportunity but there you all are...

I've spent loads of time in very rural, remote areas. It's not as though I can't hack it. I just don't see the appeal.

An island, southern Prachuap, Kanom, Phangnha, Krabi maybe.

Hey, don't choke on that pm2. 5 eh?

1 minute ago, Seamaster said:

I live in Bangkok. I wouldn't want to live in Phuket, CM or Pattaya. Pass on rural lifestyle, I'd drink myself into a stupor.

The provs are like four pegs down. Any Thai with a brain long left for opportunity but there you all are...

I've spent loads of time in very rural, remote areas. It's not as though I can't hack it. I just don't see the appeal.

An island, southern Prachuap, Kanom, Phangnha, Krabi maybe.

Hey, don't choke on that pm2. 5 eh?

Bangkok is polluted all year long. Krabi is full of tourists. Its worse than Phuket for most things.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Bangkok is polluted all year long.

The air pollution is an issue admittedly but I pretty much live indoors as everyone does. We have getaways once every few months. Islands and international. Did my upcountry travel 25 years ago. Got the tshirt.

I've always found it a welcoming, easy going city. I'd live elsewhere if I had the money.