Swede dreams turned sour: Swedish man arrested for overstaying visa in northern Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Unless he was financially screwed I don't understand why he couldn't get a visa with regards to his children?

because its a royal PITA maybe every 90 days........or less. He must have money to stay for 3 years and not work & he's divocred now according to the story. I wouldn't be surprised if he just relocates to Cambodia or Philippines. Easier to stay in both those places than it is here. 

4 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

So now you're a seriously dangerous criminal that deserves the full weight of the Immigration police? 

Seriously? For overstaying!! You need to get a reality check Thai authorities, and concentrate your efforts on real criminals.  

And you, you would need to get back to school!

I mean: can't you read properly??

The article never stated that overstayers were dangerous criminals.

The article states that they discovered that Swede while being in their process of tracking foreign criminals seeking refuge in Thailand, like for instance that German butcher or that Spanish chef, as any 10-year-old kid would have understood right away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I rather like Sweden, a little pricey but not Hell on earth

Alter Schwede! You believe so? Winter depression, high suicide rate,...

When I recall all those Scandinavian idiots I have seen when living in Hua Hin, this just doesn't make me want to leave there.

2 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

3 years? What are these people thinking? Or are they thinking?

Go to immigration and get renewed. If you're under 50 make a visa run.

Otherwise you're in trouble.

Experienced with Northern European here.

The way their brain work is just... mind-blowing... to say it politely...

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he just relocates to Cambodia or Philippines. Easier to stay in both those places than it is here. 

Unless they hold him in detention, then deport him back to his home country..

guy really screwed up his options.

6 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

So now you're a seriously dangerous criminal that deserves the full weight of the Immigration police? 

Seriously? For overstaying!! You need to get a reality check Thai authorities, and concentrate your efforts on real criminals.  

Visa overstay is a criminal Act.....OK....maybe in your Homecountry not:coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original article in The Thaiger states that he would be sentenced to two years in prison and a hefty fine. He would be deported after sentencing. For the prison sentence, I find that truly unnecessary, harsh and exaggerated. Just send him back home and enough...

• Confused 1

A possible explanation for his situation. Tó renew the visa, is a hassle. The immigration put pressure, for get tea money.   My wife, has given me an advice, no gő immigration tó arrange new visa, you can live my small village, peaceful, until die. This seems stupid. Any changes, or unforeseen matters, ruining the farang's life. Ending ín the detention.  :(

• Confused 1

The Thai police are doing a great job of keeping us safe. Let's put those evil over-stayers, dangerous Bridge-playing Septuagenarians, and those who endanger the rest of us by not wearing helmets when riding motorcycles, where they can't hurt us.

But there is virtually ZERO police presence to stop drivers from killing each other and maiming others on the roads because there is no one in the street stopping them. In the past 22 years, I have NEVER seen a cop pull over a driver for unsafe driving, only speeding. Not for passing on a curve, not for making left turns from the right lane and vice versa, not for passing on the wrong side of a vehicle, or failure to signal a turn, etc.  NEVER.

Those could save countless lives. But by all means, send 5 cops to arrest one person for a few days of overstay...

Yes... Of course the over-stayers are breaking Thai law. That's true.

And perhaps one out of ten thousand 'may' have a criminal background. That true, too.

But they aren't killing people every day on the roads. Let's get the priorities straight.  How about one cop for the over-stayers, and four to catch the unsafe drivers?

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Mbaki said:

There is nothing low about marrying a lady from Issan, they are hard working and loyal wives, a lot better than most of your western equivalents.

Well, my wife who is Thai told me this. Isaan women are amongst the lowest to get in Thailand. The girls are only learned one thing from birth, and that is to find a foreign man to marry them and support their family. And those foreign men who marry an Isaan woman are usually loser older fat men, who can't get a woman without paying for them????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

There is another Police division for your real criminals.....:coffee1:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spermwhale said:

It's actually kind of impressive that he was able to stay that long in Thailand without getting a visa. I mean, he couldn't get a job without a visa. How did he survive without working? What did he do with all his time? 

Digital nomad?

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

Well, my wife who is Thai told me this. Isaan women are amongst the lowest to get in Thailand. The girls are only learned one thing from birth, and that is to find a foreign man to marry them and support their family. And those foreign men who marry an Isaan woman are usually loser older fat men, who can't get a woman without paying for them????

Wow.... I wonder how you go to bed with someone like this. My guess. You probably don't.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but those officers look to be the Fashion Police, not Immigration, and looking at the Swede's outfit, he is surely guilty.

If I was him I would sue the makers of those camouflage shorts. Clearly they failed to conceal him from the law.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DjSilver said:

And you still listen to your wife. :giggle:

Best joke Asean Now 2023. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The Thai police are doing a great job of keeping us safe. Let's put those evil over-stayers, dangerous Bridge-playing Septuagenarians, and those who endanger the rest of us by not wearing helmets when riding motorcycles, where they can't hurt us.

But there is virtually ZERO police presence to stop drivers from killing each other and maiming others on the roads because there is no one in the street stopping them. In the past 22 years, I have NEVER seen a cop pull over a driver for unsafe driving, only speeding. Not for passing on a curve, not for making left turns from the right lane and vice versa, not for passing on the wrong side of a vehicle, or failure to signal a turn, etc.  NEVER.

Those could save countless lives. But by all means, send 5 cops to arrest one person for a few days of overstay...

Yes... Of course the over-stayers are breaking Thai law. That's true.

And perhaps one out of ten thousand 'may' have a criminal background. That true, too.

But they aren't killing people every day on the roads. Let's get the priorities straight.  How about one cop for the over-stayers, and four to catch the unsafe drivers?

He was caught by immigration. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, shackleton said:

A other person not obeying the Immigration rules

They must know they will eventually be caught and pay the penalty ????

No excuses he had plenty of time to sort it out 

Why should it bother you...?   ????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

He was caught by immigration. 

Immigration Police!

I don't care but struth the replies seem to be more inane every day.

Are contributes becoming less informed even though information is more available or are they just thick.

• Like 1

Ok the Swede could have, should have done this and that whatever.

But seriously, using all the manpower when there are worse criminal gangs operating and left alone ?

All a matter on the size of the brown enveloppe and it's not ready to change.

Nothing new and hope the poor chap gets a new start in life and does not repeat his mistakes in engaging with the wrong thai woman,