Emirates shenanigans

BenStark

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Emirates last week into Bangkok was an A380.

The departing flight a few weeks earlier also was.

In fact... of the 5 flights per day (BKK-DXB and DXB-BKK) 4 of them are an A380.

Onwards - that depends solely on the destination...  and also what the airport is set up for. 

Heathrow - All flights are A380

Manchester - 2 of 3 flights are an A380

Birmingham - 1 of 2 flights are an A380

All can be checked when looking at the website... 

Agree with you both - A380 is definitely  better than the 777... but we can easily find out.

(*last min tech difficulties and switches aside of course). 

Yeah, I've been fortunate to enjoy A380's on both legs on return flights from Birmingham > Dubai > Bangkok and vice versa. Also, 'suffered' the Boeing 777 on the leg from Dubai to Bangkok.

Mind you this last trip took Eva Air direct flight and not overly impressed with movie selection, seat room and lack of fluids during the flights. Though the air stewardesses were a lush mix of Thai and Taiwanese. ????

On 8/18/2023 at 12:13 AM, BenStark said:

Now you are talking first class i guess. Does business class have lay flat seats?

The price for business is 3 times the price for economy. I'm considering it, but if the only benefits are a bit wider seat, and better food, maybe not worth the extra.

Anyway, the point of this topic was that the "promotional" price is 9000 baht more than the regular price. ????

Yep the ME3 have lay flat beds in Business class, all sized planes, Boeing and Airbus models.

Most other major airlines now offer lay-flat beds in Business as well.

There may be exceptions (I/we don't know of any) because for me I hardly ever fly business with any other than the ME3 cause their service offerings are so superior and consistently excellent (Qatar is truly off the charts good) to other lines (in my opinion).

Air France 'La Premier' first class is amazing as good as any ME3 offering but not on all long-haul routes sadly.

On 8/17/2023 at 10:39 PM, observer90210 said:

If you are lucky and end up in a flight not fully booked, they rarely make a fuss if you use a an unoccupied row of 4 seats to lay down and sleep. Qatar crew often can make a fuss and ask to pay a supplement if you use a row of 4 empty seats to sleep during the flight.

Of course this is mainly  for the flights until the hub. Once  in DXB or DOH, the ongoing flights are usually packed in ECY but remain often half empty in the Biz Class sleepers.

Going Emirates in 2 weeks, last time Qatar Q class never again. Cancelled paid for seat reservations, no compensation even after they agreed to. Broken seat, disgusting food which was better in their economy and waiting on the loading bridge for 35 minutes, nothing would surprise me with that airline.

On 8/17/2023 at 8:26 PM, BenStark said:

I guess I must be missing something?

It would appear you have been missing the upgade offer email that comes out of Emirates with monotonous regularity. I suspect everyone on the database is "selected".

On 8/18/2023 at 3:39 AM, observer90210 said:

If you are lucky and end up in a flight not fully booked, they rarely make a fuss if you use a an unoccupied row of 4 seats to lay down and sleep. Qatar crew often can make a fuss and ask to pay a supplement if you use a row of 4 empty seats to sleep during the flight.

Of course this is mainly  for the flights until the hub. Once  in DXB or DOH, the ongoing flights are usually packed in ECY but remain often half empty in the Biz Class sleepers.

I flew Saudia every time to Bkk and usually, but not always had 4 seats to lie down on, with no cabin crew fussing. Even on Thai if I had 4 seats it was OK.

22 hours ago, treetops said:

Lounge access, chauffeur drive and advance seat selection are not offered with their cheapest Business Class Fare Type (Special).

You are correct and I have never seen that tier before when making bookings. Normally there is just the 3 tiers.

I can understand the A380 being better than the 777 in economy but does the same apply in Business as 777 are shown here with 12 inches more leg room and 2 inches more seat width

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/fleetinfo.php

Emirates A380 business is 1-2-1 with tons of privacy (especially in A or K seats). Emirates 777 is generally 2-3-2 which is very poor for business class as you don't have direct aisle access. Their newest 777s are 1-2-1 in business too but these are pretty rare and don't fly from here.

Just flew back from the UK today on Emirates - unfortunately in economy as with the whole family -  and we had a 777 from Stanstead (it was significantly cheaper than Gatwick or Heathrow) and A380 from Dubai. In economy there isn't much difference although the A380 is a better / smoother / quieter plane. But in business there is a huge difference. Also nobody has mentioned the bar on the A380 which is a brilliant place to spend time. If I am flying business it is A380 or nothing.

Amazingly there were maybe 60 people on the flight so it was a huge empty A380 and we could all pick a row to sleep on.

After Covid when Emirates were asking 170-180k for business return to the UK I went instead with Oman on their 787-800 and 787-900. A better seat and cabin then Emirates, better food (I don't particularly rate Emirates' business class food) but the service not as good as Emirates, but worth considering as it was good value and had a similar layover time but they only fly to Heathrow I think.

Edited by josephbloggs

On 8/17/2023 at 6:55 PM, BenStark said:

So anyone familiar with this process with Emirates specifically?

If I don't take up their offer, what are the chances that I can get the upgrade at a lower rate at the check in desk?

Please only personal experiences. Take note, this is first time I fly with Emirates, so I have no miles yet.

We have recently returned and upgraded to business. We went LGW to BKK via DXB. We upgraded the LGW DXB leg when checking in online via a promotion offer (couldn't upgrade any other way as tickets were booked via 3rd party company) for 3 of us it was £1300. Great experience, could not fault it at all.

On our return we upgraded the BKK DXB leg of the flight, it costs us £2300 for the 3 of us on a shorter flight than the one we upgraded previously. On this occasion, although good, it was not as good an experience as the first time. The A380 this time was older, not as comfy, the lay flat bed did not lay flat completely as the previous one did. 

So, the airport upgrade cost us more, for the shorter flight and was not as good an experience as our first upgrade.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, TimeMachine said:

The strip searches on women were done when a new born baby was found in a rubbish bin.  The women on the plane were gathered and told they had to show their private parts or werent  allowed to leave. The whole thing has been hidden away so as to not upset the elite. Quite disgusting. I am glad you havent been strip searched but imagine if one of the women was your daughter or wife. Would you continue to fly with them?

I'm a woman.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:22 PM, BenStark said:

Notice they just changed the plane BKK > Dubai from Airbus to Boeing, there go my reserved seats

You lost paid for seat bookings ?

You lost free seat bookings ?

Did they transfer the seat booking for a like for like on the new plane (layout)?

Can you easily re-book your seats ? (for free ?).

They just emailed me offering upgrade to biz for 26k one way. Only been biz once on Qatar last year and in was certainly not worth the extra money, their food was worse than their economy fare.

Edited by proton

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did they transfer the seat booking for a like for like on the new plane (layout)?

Happened to me on Qatar last year, never got the 6k plus baht money back for seat reservations due to plane change. They just switched aisle seat to in the middle on Q class, no warning no refund, despite weeks of trying. Called Emirates to check for this week seems ok so far. 

On 8/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I always took an empty bottle through emigration security check and filled it in the waiting room. Never had a lack of fluids for that reason.

There is almost always a solution to every problem.

Fill with vodka degwar!

1 hour ago, proton said:

They just emailed me offering upgrade to biz for 26k one way. Only been biz once on Qatar last year and in was certainly not worth the extra money, their food was worse than their economy fare.

The promotional upgrade will only be 1 leg of the flight, and no perks included.

I got them also, could choose first leg or second leg, but can't choose both, and even if you could and make the sum, it is 20% more than upgrading through manage your booking.

Edited by BenStark

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It were complimentary seats, and since it is in economy with a plane full to the rim, there was no rebooking possible.

Didn't care much, a seat is a seat.

1 hour ago, proton said:

Somewhat of an exaggeration...  

On both Emirates and Qatar the food in Business class is multiple factors better than the food in economy class - that said, there is nothing to complain about with the food in economy class. 

Edited by richard_smith237

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It were complimentary seats, and since it is in economy with a plane full to the rim, there was no rebooking possible.

Didn't care much, a seat is a seat.

Ah... thats quite irritating then... 

You get in early to select a seat (aisle or window) and they re-shuffle the planes without notificiation and when you check again, all the window and aisle seats are gone and you are stuck in a middle seat.

I'd be unhappy in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, proton said:

Happened to me on Qatar last year, never got the 6k plus baht money back for seat reservations due to plane change. They just switched aisle seat to in the middle on Q class, no warning no refund, despite weeks of trying. Called Emirates to check for this week seems ok so far. 

You should have been able to file a claim with the airline and if the airline rejects the claim (which it shouldn't), then you can go to an Airline dispute resolution site to assist. 

ADR website is particularly strong if your Qatar ticket originates or ends up in Europe.

i.e. its not just about the leg of the flight, but the ticketed start and end point - if either is in Europe you have a stronger case for a claim.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/

I've successfully used the above site to claim EU 600 from Turkish Airlines who rejected my initial claim and only offered US250 which I rejected (after they bumped me off a full flight).

Emirates have been easier to deal with and have paid out directly without first rejecting you and hoping you'll give up, thus without forcing you to go to the ADR website (I've claimed EU 1200 total so far from Emirates for delayed flights without any other hassle).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

You should have been able to file a claim with the airline and if the airline rejects the claim (which it shouldn't), then you can go to an Airline dispute resolution site to assist. 

ADR website is particularly strong if your Qatar ticket originates or ends up in Europe.

i.e. its not just about the leg of the flight, but the ticketed start and end point - if either is in Europe you have a stronger case for a claim.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/

I've successfully used the above site to claim EU 600 from Turkish Airlines who rejected my initial claim and only offered US250 which I rejected (after they bumped me off a full flight).

Emirates have been easier to deal with and have paid out directly without first rejecting you and hoping you'll give up, thus without forcing you to go to the ADR website (I've claimed EU 1200 total so far from Emirates for delayed flights without any other hassle).

Did all that, fist they agreed then went back on it on the grounds that the seats I got were similar to the ones I booked, which I only got by checking in 5 hours before the flight. Even emailed the CEO but to no avail. Wont use them again.

Somewhat of an exaggeration...  

On both Emirates and Qatar the food in Business class is multiple factors better than the food in economy class - that said, there is nothing to complain about with the food in economy class. 

Not so, I ordered lacto vegetarian off their list-weeks before- I got low calorie vegetarian, carrots mostly, and the flight attendant did not know what the difference was, their mistake. Told her I would have anything except meat and fish so got the vegan option, disgusting stodge inedible. Ended up with the cheese board, rock hard crackers and sweaty bits of nasty cheese. The drink selection was excellent though.

17 minutes ago, proton said:

Not so, I ordered lacto vegetarian off their list-weeks before- I got low calorie vegetarian, carrots mostly, and the flight attendant did not know what the difference was, their mistake. Told her I would have anything except meat and fish so got the vegan option, disgusting stodge inedible. Ended up with the cheese board, rock hard crackers and sweaty bits of nasty cheese. The drink selection was excellent though.

If you are that food intolerant/fussy why not take your own cr@p onboard?

It is not as if it has to be served hot!

Edited by scottiejohn

16 minutes ago, proton said:

I'm Silver with Emirates (downgraded from Gold this year).

I'm Gold with Qatar (used them more this year).

I took 34 flights in the last 12 months, some in business class, some in economy.

The food on both Emirates and Qatar Airways Economy is perfectly fine and meets expectations. 

The food on both Emirates and Qatar Airways Business Class is excellent and again, meets expectations of the 'elevated class of travel'. 

In both classes the food exceeds the qualty of the food I've expereicned on other carriers I've recently travelled (again in Business and Eco) - KLM, Finn Air and Thai Airways. 

If you are a fussy eater, then thats kind of on you.

I just had to google what 'Lacto-vegitarian' is... Someone who doesn't eat meat and eggs, but does eat dairy....  I'm not surprised your food was hideous, every meal probably is !!!... 

- 'Lacto-vegitarian'...  Kind of spells 'Karen' !!!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

The promotional upgrade will only be 1 leg of the flight, and no perks included.

I got them also, could choose first leg or second leg, but can't choose both, and even if you could and make the sum, it is 20% more than upgrading through manage your booking.

????Ben fantastic, i once done the same thing with Kilkenny airlines 

Edited by georgegeorgia

36 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If you are that food intolerant/fussy why not take your own cr@p onboard?

It is not as if it has to be served hot!

Not fussy just don't eat meat and fish, millions of people don't, like telling non pork eaters the same. If they can't get seat reservations and meal options right screw them.

• Confused 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, BenStark said:

Notice they just changed the plane BKK > Dubai from Airbus to Boeing, there go my reserved seats

When they did that to me 2 years ago, I had reserved 14K (window) on the 380 and they changed it to 10K (window) on the 777.  No complaints from me and I only found this out by checking  Manage my Booking.