A document at Immigration only in Thai language

Hi

I recently applied for an extension of stay. At the end of the process, they gave me the following document in Thai (see attachement) to fill out.

Anyone know this document? And what is it good for? And why is it in Thai only?

As far I know, all the information on this document are already somewhere all the other documents I gave them.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed already somewhere else.....

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That said, routine documents placed in front of you in whatever language when applying for an extension can probably just be safely signed.

Why?

T.I.T.S.

It is also a very good reason why you should use an agent if you are legit regarding funds etc and do not want to p!ss around and waste time at an IO!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Has anyone ever come to grief, or have they ever heard of anyone coming to grief as a result of signing a document at immigration?

Sign where they say 'sign', pay your money, get your stamp and then just get on with your life.

Agent totally unnecessary @scottiejohn

Exactly ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Has anyone ever come to grief, or have they ever heard of anyone coming to grief as a result of signing a document at immigration?

Sign where they say 'sign', pay your money, get your stamp and then just get on with your life.

Agent totally unnecessary @scottiejohn

Totally agree Mr Moonlover.

• Thanks 1

In fact, last year, the I.O. told me to sign probably the same document and filled it out for me. This time, I was asked to do it by myself or with the help of anyone else..... I'm fare from being able to read official documents in Thai. Understanding them is completely another level again.

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local IO has a receptionist who doesn't speak a word of English. Just what you need in an office that deals exclusively with foreigners, almost all of whom speak little to no Thai. Reminds me of when the new Bangkok airport opened and the passenger information desk had no-one who spoke English - in an international airport. Thailand does not acknowledge the real world. Even the outgoing PM told students they needn't bother learning English as one day all the world will speak Thai.

And they wonder why Burma and Cambodia rank above Thailand in English language proficiency.

I was going to comment regarding Google translate but @rwill got their first. In may experiences with written Thai languge, the use use of Google Translate is very useful. Not 100% accurate but good enough to get a comprehension of the subject and meaning. I do really wish I had learnt to read and write Thai rather than just doing the phoenetic (cartoon) learning. Still time, but lazy and getting old. ???? 

• Thanks 2

On 8/19/2023 at 5:20 PM, Opossum said:

Hi

I recently applied for an extension of stay. At the end of the process, they gave me the following document in Thai (see attachement) to fill out.

As far I know, all the information on this document are already somewhere all the other documents I gave them.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed already somewhere else.....

What attachment?

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 5:20 PM, Opossum said:

Hi

Sorry if this forged the topic has been discussed already somewhere else.....

This documents is used already for ages and it's a confirmation that you know the thai laws on Immigration and overstay and everything you presented for your application is TRUE.

It is written in Thai language because:
- according to the law, ONLY the THAI documents are valable.
   You (or your lawyer) can bring as many translations you want, only the THAI documents will be taking into consideration.
- you are supposed to have enough knowledge about the Thai language and, if not, your lawyer or any person who can translate it for you (your walking dictionary from Pattaya or Phuket) will do.

AFAIK, this document was introduced because many foreigners falsified the income figures on their affidavit with the Embassy and there was not enough time to check these numbers.
At the same time, many embassies refused to give an affidavit of income for the same reason.
So, thanks to the fellow citizens who did that.

HTH

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local IO has a receptionist who doesn't speak a word of English. Just what you need in an office that deals exclusively with foreigners, almost all of whom speak little to no Thai. Reminds me of when the new Bangkok airport opened and the passenger information desk had no-one who spoke English - in an international airport. Thailand does not acknowledge the real world. Even the outgoing PM told students they needn't bother learning English as one day all the world will speak Thai.

And yet nearly all road signs are in English as well as Thai.

• Like 1