Is it okay to walk naked chest in the streets?

Goodboybkk

I wouldn't now nor did I ever, wherever I was, go around shirtless in public. It gives reason for many to notice and consider it disrespectful and not caring about one's appearance.

If you don't have a good body, then it doesn't look very nice and if you have a great body, then you are being ostentatious and obviously out to impress.

Bit like tattoos; what's the point of them if you can't display them to everybody?

About the reason; too hot! Ever thought, in a tropical country at least, the heat is accompanied by direct sun to the skin and that surely will be hot, apart from the possible burning. And will you only be walking in the street but not entering any premises? Maybe carry some kind of top around your waist - that will look not so good either.

So, NO!

I DO go topless when on the beach, and shoeless and sockless - and no underwear - who would see, anyway?

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Contradiction in terms ????

Exactly. The person I quoted was saying shorts not acceptable in his opinion.  So I mentioned the elephant pants I wouldn’t be caught dead in them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If you want to do that, make sure it’s in Pattaya or some equally uncouth place. Don’t go bringing trashy whitey behaviour here! ????

Note to self: Remind local Thais walking around topless down south to stop their "trashy whitey behaviour" ????

1 minute ago, swm59nj said:

Maybe you can get away with it in a rural village.  But not in the cities 

Of course you can, I see shirtless farang quite often down the Si Lom area in the busy season. Nobody gives a rat's, or if they do they keep their opinions to themselves.

10 hours ago, Albaby said:
11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘Champ’ is an Aussie slur, origination from the prisons of Victoria…

A few etymological reasons, not sure which is correct:

1) Rhyming with ‘tamp’ (tamper ; to tamper with) & is basically calling someone a kiddie fiddler.

2) Someone who performs in return oral for ‘champion ruby tobacco’..

it’s basically more offensive than the ‘c-bomb’ to Australians…

So, in this context ‘only if you feel like a champ’ is perhaps apt…

Expand  

What a load of drivel.

Whatever you say 'champ' !!!!  :guitar:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stocky said:
13 hours ago, stoner said:

only if you feel like a champ.

only if you feel like a champ chump

https://ausprisons.com/prison-life/australian-jail-slang/

I've seen it a few times on here in other threads...  some guys in a verbal spat... one calls the other 'champ'...    Now you've read about it, you'll notice its occasional use on this forum. 

I personally think on a hot day it's sensible so long as you aren't concerned with getting burned and in an open area, it should be socially acceptable.

I don't think it's any more vulgar than women wearing almost nothing which I don't hear anyone complaining about.

56 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

By this logic, 90% of Thailand deserves no respect for being low class.

I don't think this is true, by the way, but it's worth pointing out your logic here.

Where do you see myriads of shirtless people.....I don't see them in the rice fields or orchards, or as other workers.....

There is one guy a couple of streets away that waters his front yard garden shirtless....He has a few dozen orchids & flowers hung at about 9 feet that he stands underneath using his water wand.....

I'm about the only paleface in my area & I just don't see people out and about shirtless, or sitting outside....

I use to live centrally between 3 villages away from any type of organized shopping areas (in the sticks) = not 90-80-70-60-50-40-30-20 or 10%.....Very infrequent & usually very close their house.....

Even the nightly gathering of alcoholics didn't.....

3 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Where do you see myriads of shirtless people.....I don't see them in the rice fields or orchards, or as other workers.....

There is one guy a couple of streets away that waters his front yard garden shirtless....He has a few dozen orchids & flowers hung at about 9 feet that he stands underneath using his water wand.....

I'm about the only paleface in my area & I just don't see people out and about shirtless, or sitting outside....

I use to live centrally between 3 villages away from any type of organized shopping areas (in the sticks) = not 90-80-70-60-50-40-30-20 or 10%.....Very infrequent & usually very close their house.....

Even the nightly gathering of alcoholics didn't.....

I think you didn't read my post. Try again.

It's horrible, please do not lower the tone. Beach or pool only (or a road actually alongside the beach), and definitely not at a table where you're eating. Manners cost nothing. I saw a Chinese once wandering the fresh food counters of Lotus topless, the staff didn't seem to give a sh.t. I gave him a couple of mouthfuls and the fatty covered up. Don't let me catch you!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, Moonlover said:

Personally I think that's complete nonsense and ChatGPT agrees with me, besides how on Earth would anyone detect this heinous crime?

I've gone commando for many many years and can assure you that the wife would occasionally say 'you can't wear those shorts outside', even a couple of quite loose pairs. Maybe I'm just a little more blessed in the gentleman's, sausage department than you? ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If you are a visitor or farang you should be very keen knowing the traditions and politeness rules.

No,

beside the beach and beach walk or around your house,

topless in public is for the homeless, who are walking as nut cases and fruitcakes, complete off mind though the tourist places to check the garbage bins for edibles... 

If you want to be classified as one of these subjects, then feel free and take your shirt off... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

https://ausprisons.com/prison-life/australian-jail-slang/

I've seen it a few times on here in other threads...  some guys in a verbal spat... one calls the other 'champ'...    Now you've read about it, you'll notice its occasional use on this forum. 

You are probably called "<deleted>" more than "champ", can't imagine why.

21 hours ago, Myran said:

No, it shows you are low-class and not deserving of respect.

Just reading your post, I am wondering how you 'class' people. Are there different grades to each class? Is there a institution which gives classes people? Can people upgrade/downgrade themselves?

Which class have you graded yourself to, by the way?

9 minutes ago, Albaby said:

You are probably called "<deleted>" more than "champ", can't imagine why.

Hint "Deleted" starts with W and ends with R, a real Aussie slang word, not one made for a 2nd rate tv series made for dumbed down uneducated males. Cheers Smithy.

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

By this logic, 90% of Thailand deserves no respect for being low class.

I don't think this is true, by the way, but it's worth pointing out your logic here.

I suggest you take a class in basic reading comprehension. Nowhere do I state that everyone of low class is undeserving of respect. Neither do I agree that 90 % of Thailand are low class in the context of this discussion.

30 minutes ago, ravip said:

Just reading your post, I am wondering how you 'class' people. Are there different grades to each class? Is there a institution which gives classes people? Can people upgrade/downgrade themselves?

Which class have you graded yourself to, by the way?

I class people by how much clothes they wear in public. People walking around with no shirt in places where it's not warranted are considered low-class.

Yes, low-class people can upgrade themselves by putting on a shirt.
I grade myself as middleclass, as I use a shirt when the situation warrants it.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Myran said:

Yes, low-class people can upgrade themselves by putting on a shirt.

I grade myself as middleclass, as I use a shirt when the situation warrants it.

That would mean I'm upper class for wearing a tie. ????

Your class system is so easy. You could be the leader of Zimbabwe with your well thought-out and sophisticated social structure.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albaby said:

Hint "Deleted" starts with W and ends with R, a real Aussie slang word, not one made for a 2nd rate tv series made for dumbed down uneducated males. Cheers Smithy.

No worries chief...   the use of the word 'champ'  in this context has been explained for you... 

If you refuse to accept things outside of your 'limited box of understanding', thats up to you...

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Perhaps along a beach promedade.

Anywhere else you"ll be perceived as a Russian heathen or worse. 

Dudes who walk around shirtless in areas that they"shouldn't" likely don't give a flying f**k about how they are perceived.

Except maybe guys like the OP who seems to have confidence issues and need a bit of urging before they goes parading around Si Lom 2 in his underdaks ????