Thaksin Has Arrived At Don Mueang Airport

webfact

42 minutes ago, impulse said:

The 300,000+ Thais who voluntarily emigrated to America will be devastated to hear that.  And the 80,000+ who eagerly moved to Australia.

..and I know Saudis who converted to Christianity.

There are always be renegades.

Btw...those immigrant Thais are free to come and go...and I bet most of them plan to retire here

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well he proved a lot of us wrong by returning to Thailand ???????? 

Going to be interesting in the coming days / weeks as to what his future plans are retired or not ????

Agree, and I have little doubt there's a strategy not yet revealed. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hero's welcome. Really? Didn't see that.

I wasn’t there at DMK in person

But I saw the TV news and read the news reports 

Crowds of jubilant supporters, many dressed in red and carrying welcome signs, gathered at an airport in Bangkok to greet Thaksin”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I acknowledge Thaksin's political skills and tactics. He does hold an antipathy, however, for people from the West.

I am not so sure that he holds a particular antipathy towards people from the West. Any antipathy comes, I think, mainly, from the uniformed elements further down the food chain, within the immigration system.

He may have some antipathy towards the UK, the then (Gordon Brown) government bowed to pressure from the Junta and refused to let him stay in London when he first went into exile. Mind you, I have some antipathy towards "Bruin the Nokia bouncer" as well!

Interestingly his sister seems to have no problems spending time in the UK. Mind you, when she was PM, and visited the UK, she had an audience with Queen Elizabeth. The late Queen was apparently quite taken by her! That of course would have had no formal bearing upon her treatment in exile, but then again...

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

These Xenophobic Chinese Thais  detest foreigners getting into their society.

As a Thai Chinese I can confirm this.   It's not xenophobia though, it's just preference.   Kind of like not wanting mustard on one's burger.   We don't hate or fear the mustard.   ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Hope to see him involved in getting tourism and immigration back to where it was. Lets see.  A big mess of who wants to be the leaders.  Why cant they have written tests to see who is the most capable.  General knowledge.  Science.  1pc of zero. That kind of thing.  Factual stuff.  Smartest gets the lollies. Too many low smartness people around in positions they dont belong. Anyway,  putting aside any evil he has done,  the cruel feeling of being kept away from your home is over for Thaksin. Good luck friend. 

Friend to who not Thailand he’s a grifter and murderer 

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Heng said:

As a Thai Chinese I can confirm this.   It's not xenophobia though, it's just preference.   Kind of like not wanting mustard on one's burger.   We don't hate or fear the mustard.   ????

????Thanks for confirming, old buddy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Today Sreetha will be elected PM. 

Early Parliamentary debate will indirectly involve pardon of Thaksin.

Royal pardon officially occurring next month.

Out of his luxury cell in the Bangkok Hilton within a month.

All pre-planned and pre-agreed with the Parliamentary partners, the uncles and someone else.

And they all live happily ever after.

So first act of this play is in place. 

I reckon Settha will fail and Prawit will be nominated in the second act. Then Thaksin will be freed or pardoned and will stay out of politics as the third and final act. 

The real interesting part is whether Prawit will double cross Thaksin and keep him in jail!!!

Cue the crime scene mystery music.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

For a moment, I was thinking anyone was better than Prayuth, Anutin and Prawit. Those goons have no leadership ability. Other than some infrastructure, they did nothing for Thailand, except move it backwards. 

Now that Pheu Thai has cut the treasonous deal with the army, all bets are off. They completely betrayed their base of support, and the nation. The army is the last institution in the world this nation wants anything to do with. Any reputation they may have once had, has gone down the drain with those very long 9 years of ineptitude, malfeasance, corruption and theft. 

So, where does the nation go from here? It is likely to continue it's backwards spin. Perhaps into near oblivion and even a greater degree of irrelevance. 

Watch. It is likely after jumping in bed with the army, all charges will be dropped. Two or three days in a cushy jail. Did they sacrifice the long term well being of the nation to avoid his prison term? 

So many sweeping statements, like "move it backwards" which fly in the face of data. Maybe take off the gloom goggles and compare Thailand's performance objectively... while we enjoy the freedom and lifestyle in this wonderful country, recognising its faults and challenges.

The nation is recognized by the World Bank as "one of the great development success stories" in social and development indicators... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

Btw, which countries would you nominate as paragons of virtue and performance?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, rbkk said:

Exchange rates at  about x2 today's rates (UK Pound/Thai baht =60/70+ baht) certainly benefitted me in the construction of a house in 2001. 

It was certainly not good for Thai people though.

I spent 50,000GBP in 2001 with Thai construction supply companies. Do they count?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, damian said:

So first act of this play is in place. 

I reckon Settha will fail and Prawit will be nominated in the second act. Then Thaksin will be freed or pardoned and will stay out of politics as the third and final act. 

The real interesting part is whether Prawit will double cross Thaksin and keep him in jail!!!

Cue the crime scene mystery music.

No, it's a Shakespearean tragedy dressed out (typically) with comic interludes. There has to be 5 acts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, peter48 said:

For those who knew Thailand back in the earlier 2000s this was a great leader who looked outwards to the world. He lifted Thailand higher & brought in the tourists and ex pats who like me bought into property. far more Brits came regularly as over 50bht to £ was typical. But for lower income Thais he was hightly popular with universal health care and other socio-economic reforms. Later we saw Thailand wellbeing fall & European tourism stall as like now quiet and lacking the dynamism of those happier Thakin years. The LOS changed. 

SOME of what you say is true.Sort of 9 for Takisn 1 for the people. as opposed to the usual 10 for us 0 for you I've been here since 1999 and Thais were still doing tough then but I admit they seemed happier.Wether that was naive newbie me or true I don't know

Edited by findlay13