Phuket Man Faces Defamation Charge After Posting Clip of Police Stop on TikTok

webfact

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Simple ... ride legally.

When on Phuket, I drove by the Chalong circle a few times, and saw as they were 'rightfully' pulled over - no helmet.

Didn't notice any pulled over with helmets, though not really there that long.

Would they be wearing a helmet in home country?  Most of the USA - YES

My son came here in Phuket as a visitor.

Everything legal.

He went on a trip to Patong with his girlfriend.

He got stopped 6 times on that day.

While their helmets were quite visible, he had to show his driving permit every time.

While doing so, he could see al the Thai drivers go by, no helmets, phones in hand.

At the Chalong circle, it is very simple, just about all young riders are stopped, with or without helmets, and checked for an appropriate driving license I presume.

I go by wearing my helmet, along with so many helmetless Thai drivers, based on my age. The focus is only on young tourists...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

Oh not another one you must know they pull up farangs and hardly Thais and no I wasn't there 

At that spot they stop everyone. I know of many Thai being stopped there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Did the video actually show Thai law breakers being allowed to pass (maybe no helmet) and foreigners being stopped?

Would be difficult to deny if he just posted said video without comment.

Which would be perfectly ok.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a perversion of the defamation laws, when locals without helmets are waved through, and foreigners with helmets are stopped. We all know the intent. It has nothing to do with safety. I hope it was an anonymous account, and he used a VPN.

Power to the people. Truth always hurts the corrupt and the guilty. 

Locals wear amulets for extra protection, dont you know that?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

My son came here in Phuket as a visitor.

Everything legal.

He went on a trip to Patong with his girlfriend.

He got stopped 6 times on that day.

While their helmets were quite visible, he had to show his driving permit every time.

While doing so, he could see al the Thai drivers go by, no helmets, phones in hand.

At the Chalong circle, it is very simple, just about all young riders are stopped, with or without helmets, and checked for an appropriate driving license I presume.

I go by wearing my helmet, along with so many helmetless Thai drivers, based on my age. The focus is only on young tourists...

Not going to say it doesn't happen, but, if not for the history of tourist ending up in the hospital, they wouldn't be doing spot checks (too many) to make sure they are legal and qualified (licensed) to drive.

And yes, that should be sorted at the rental places, but until it is, I'm all for the check points, even if targeting foreigners.  It may, will save lives, if just 1 person realizes, renting is not a good idea if not legal to.  One less 'go fund my stupidity' is always a good thing.

I less idiot hitting my car ????

On the flip side, irrelevant, but, when, very rare, there is a local check point, and they are stopping ALL MBs, helmet or not, I seem to always get waved through ????

I am legal w/helmet, dog - no helmet.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I would go that far but they certainly dont have a shining star for honesty

I would go further.

They are nothing more than a gang of organized criminals in uniform (in my opinion).

Many years ago the UN expressed a similar opinion about them. 

Having spent over 30 years here, and socialized with coppers from the two most corrupt nicks in Bangkok, you'll find it near impossible to change my mind on this issue. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not going to say it doesn't happen, but, if not for the history of tourist ending up in the hospital, they wouldn't be doing spot checks (too many) to make sure they are legal and qualified (licensed) to drive.

They don't care how many tourists end up in hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

They claim defamation not for video taping them or for posting the video but for his comments that implied they were doing it only to get bribe money

Posts like that on here everyday,.......... big brother watching you

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bob smith said:

how the hell does it save lives if they are fined 500/1000 baht on the spot and then are allowed to go on their merry little way, whether they have a licence or not??

The police couldn't care less about saving farang lives.

Their tea money is all that matters to them.

Tickets are handed out for payments. No tea money at all involved.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Tickets are handed out for payments. No tea money at all involved.

This certainly wasnt true when I was there.

They gave you a choice. Either you paid on the spot or you had to go to the police station miles away by taxi as they wouldn't let you drive your bike there until you had paid. 99% of people chose to pay on the spot fines.

Tea money in a jar.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

How can it be defamation if they're doing their job correctly? ????????

It's what he wrote, suggesting they were 'enforcing' undisclosed traffic rules. The Tik Tok-er though presumably doesn't know what they were stopped for so has no grounds to suggest it was a shakedown. People seem to think they can post whatever they like on social media, with not a shred of proof to back up what they write.

Was he right in what he was thinking and writing? Well, we all know the odds for that, don't we. But posting it on-line will never, ever end well. Best he just shut up and accept the culture for what it is.

• Confused 1

I clearly remember a high ranking policemen several years ago stating that videoing a policeman doing his job is perfectly legal as long as it didn't interfere with his work..

Something must have changed. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

19 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I clearly remember a high ranking policemen several years ago stating that videoing a policeman doing his job is perfectly legal as long as it didn't interfere with his work..

Something must have changed. 

Nothing has changed. It states in the attached article:

"It is not illegal to record officers in public, as a note, but the issue police had was the negative statement and inferences by the user when Chalong Police stated the officers were only performing their jobs and stopping traffic offenders, which keeps the streets safer for all."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I would go further.

They are nothing more than a gang of organized criminals in uniform (in my opinion).

Many years ago the UN expressed a similar opinion about them. 

Having spent over 30 years here, and socialized with coppers from the two most corrupt nicks in Bangkok, you'll find it near impossible to change my mind on this issue. 

Maybe a defamation charge would help.

Get the apology basket ready.

It's hilarious and ironic; so many defamatory comments here about the RTP.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am so sorry I was truthful, and showed how things really are. I know it embarrassed you guys. I won't expose reality and truth any more. I promise. 

Hu? I don't get it. You said you hoped he used an anonymous account and VPN. He clearly didn't try to stay anonymous when he himself went to the police station.