Teenager dies in high-speed motorbike crash on Chonburi’s new tourist bridge

webfact

image.jpeg
Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

An 18 years old young man tragically lost his life in a motorbike accident on the new Chonburi Bridge, a popular tourist spot in Chonburi province.

The accident occurred at 11.30pm yesterday, when his motorbike hit a speed bump, causing him to lose control and crash. The young man, identified as Theerawat, was visiting the bridge for the first time with a friend, unfamiliar with the route.

Theerawat’s friend, who had accompanied him on the ill-fated trip, narrated the incident. They had travelled from Bang Saen to visit the new bridge for the first time. While his friend was enjoying the scenic view at a leisurely pace, Theerawat was speeding. Upon overtaking his friend, Theerawat encountered a speed bump, causing his motorbike to swerve and crash, resulting in fatal injuries.

Rescue workers from the Tri Khun Tham Foundation, who were first on the scene, discovered Theerawat lying lifeless next to his grey Vespa motorbike, 20 metres away from the speed bump.

by Nattapong Westwood

Top Image courtesy of Khao Sod Online

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/teenager-dies-in-high-speed-motorbike-crash-on-chonburis-new-tourist-bridge

-- Thaiger 2023-08-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And yet! I must admit at first glance I thought it was a crossing, but no matter what they put in place to slow traffic, like a chicane it won't stop stupid driving here.

I did too, but we would like to think one might slow for one of those also......:unsure:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Safe to say, #1 reason for almost all accidents, speeding/too fast for conditions ... IMHO

In this case some <deleted> put a speed bump across the road with no signage ????

• Confused 3

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

In this case some <deleted> put a speed bump across the road with no signage ????

How do you miss this speed bump if doing the speed limit.  Assuming the white is a bit fluorescent. 

image.png.8813cee330b4e0e7340416d2260a66bf.png

Speed limit is ... 

image.png.b67b46d1f75c16a40b484159a316f6bc.png

at that low speed, you could easily jump off your MB, get some road rash, without life threatening injury, unless a really bad bounce and snapping your neck or something else.

Next time in car, set cruise control @ 50kph, and realize how slow that really is.

Somehow, it's never the driver's fault in this country.

Plenty of enforcement in the USA, and I still drove like an idiot in my youth.  Lost my license a few times due to speeding, though do admit, I was a lot more safety conscious when on a scooter.  Not saying I didn't have an oops now & then, but with a helmet and minor.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Plenty of enforcement in the USA

But we are not in Kansas, Dorothy.

Do you have a picture of the signage indicating a speed bump.

maybe one of these in Thai under the limit sign?

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

But we are not in Kansas, Dorothy.

More of a reply to Grouch's post, about BIB should do their job.  Certainly didn't stop me from being an idiot in my youth.

The deceased, 18 yr old, assuming been riding scooters a while, surely should have know better.

His friend did ... nuff said

R I P

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to wonder if there was a large hole in the road if they would have a warning signs. ????

Most everyone falls off a bike when learning and if lucky get away with it . But here the rider hit an marked obstacle. 

2 minutes ago, circa02 said:

I think that's luck more than anything. Even with extremely defensive driving, considering all magnitudes of incoming stupidity, you are still vulnerable to some element of surprise, nearly all of them have had no formal driving training so you don't know what they have inferred is correct over the years, a good few percent think the hazard lights are for slowing down for example.  I don't think it's a death wish per se if you're in a car, but on a scooter it seems just a matter of time before you get a serious injury, helmet or not.

Have to disagree again, as been driving a scooter here, more than USA, and still, nobody has hit me on that.

Quite the false narrative IMHO, and I find most Thais, especially on the highway, to be quite competent drivers.  That's me racking up 20-25k kms a year.

Irresponsible scooter driving usual just results in self injury, a sad fact in itself, as obviously, most probably avoidable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1