How To Avoid The 'Wham Bam, Thank You' Scam

Brewster67

5 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Many of these disasters could have been avoided if they took my advice and did it the way I did it.

?

Actually, I think your advice is extremely poor and you are vulnerable to some substantial losses.

First, the car will be her's as it is paid off and in her name.

The house must of had a down payment I assume by you and with 11 years of payments and appreciation, how much equity is in it?  Seperate property even purchased after marriage could in fact be argued by her attorney that the house is hers.  The fact the mortgage is in her name is a huge mistake as, she is the mortgage holder and therefore can claim it is soley hers.

Additonally, there is alimony in Thailand if she desires to ask for it.

On the house, even if the court decides it is communal property at least half of the equity will go to her.

Hope you stay married, but if not it seems you have dug a hole for yourself if you divorce and your advice I think is terrible that I would recommend no one take.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would not mix tablecloths with napkins. Sorry for the metaphor !!... The point is that sadly some believe one can buy indisputable loyalty, love, full submission in the kitchen and bed.... thanks to a good exchange rate !!

But the reality is obviously different. I would not mix social groups in a relationship leading to marriage. Play hard and work hard for sure. But tying the knot ?????

Without solely naming the age gap between the couple, when the social barrier is enlargened (a polite way to say if he or she is richer then the partner), there are higher chances to end up in a household Armageddon.

Exceptions of course, but rather rare and why chance it ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

The house has to be through a mortgage and the car on monthly payments. I had the moiney to buy both but I had read too many of these long scams, as much as I love my wife I want to be secure... I pay the mortgage and the car is already paid off.

You see, if it all went south after a couple of years, I would walk away with minimal losses, the wife would be the one lumbered with the monthly payments, its all in her name, so she ends up paying for it.

This is the normal way every Thai buys house and car.

I quote a Thai girl having plans to get a car from her farang boyfriend:

"Who in his right mind would buy a car and pay cash??? That would be completely crazy!"

Actually,  I can't think of a country where people usually buy houses or cars paying cash.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

?

Actually, I think your advice is extremely poor and you are vulnerable to some substantial losses.

First, the car will be her's as it is paid off and in her name.

The house must of had a down payment I assume by you and with 11 years of payments and appreciation, how much equity is in it?  Seperate property even purchased after marriage could in fact be argued by her attorney that the house is hers.  The fact the mortgage is in her name is a huge mistake as, she is the mortgage holder and therefore can claim it is soley hers.

Additonally, there is alimony in Thailand if she desires to ask for it.

On the house, even if the court decides it is communal property at least half of the equity will go to her.

Hope you stay married, but if not it seems you have dug a hole for yourself if you divorce and your advice I think is terrible that I would recommend no one take.

True. The guy with a gf no investment can walk away no loss. If you are over 40yo why would you get married? Waste of time. Girls are a dime a dozen. Most of these wives look 2nd rate. If it ends you lose money. Where is the upside? Delusional.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You can get P4P almost anywhere in Thailand. The Thai scene is huge, way bigger than the tiny foreigner-oriented zones.

I've seen it myself maybe three or four times, including once with a Thai guy whose wife had just given birth. 

He called up a couple of youngish girls he had on speed dial, picked them up and took us to a love motel a bit out of town.

I chose to sit it out so I just waited in the car with a very sad looking girl who looked like she wanted to be anywhere else.

Much, much seedier than the "Pattaya style bars" that you decry. 

Dude was a car battery salesman, so just an ordinary guy. The kind that you "Pattaya bad, real Thailand good" types think are the "salt of the earth". You probably wai them every day ????

So yeah, unless you live in the jungle mints from anywhere then you probably DO live in a "flesh pit" but you're too blind to see it.

So a bargirl is more classy than a girl who goes to 1 hour motels?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The house must of had a down payment I assume by you and with 11 years of payments and appreciation, how much equity is in it?

300k was the amount I paid up front (not a major outlay for me).

Plus 10k/month in repayments (which I would have paid in rent anyway).

I could walk away tomorrow with no regrets, and no financial problems finding a new place.

As for any court case.

1. She has no money to finance it.

2. Don't think Thai courts have any jurisdiction in the UK of other SEA countries.

Edited by BritManToo

19 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Many of these disasters could have been avoided if they took my advice and did it the way I did it.

Good to know you are so much smarter than everyone else and your way is the best way.
Do you advise everyone that visits Thailand?

I used a different approach.  It is cheaper and less paperwork. 

My girl has two farms that she paid for with her own money.  I have a life usufruct over both of those chanotes.

During covid I bought my current house for 270K baht all up.  Two minutes from the beach and full red chanote.  I have a life usufruct over this chanote also (Different land office from farms also).

In the future if I want to sell this house GF will have no option but to do what I ask.  Otherwise i will never take the usfructs off her two farms.

I have lived here a long time and do not trust anyone.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out most foreigners in Thailand come from the lowest social groups in their home countries and have little education beyond that mandated by our governments.

As such, uneducated Thai farm girls are entirely suitable partners for most of us.

Tiny, dark, dumb and pretty does it for me....

That said my GF is usually mistaken by other Thais as Korean.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

My girl has two farms that she paid for with her own money.  I have a life usufruct over both of those chanotes.

During covid I bought my current house for 270K baht all up.  Two minutes from the beach and full red chanote.  I have a life usufruct over this chanote also (Different land office from farms also).

In the future if I want to sell this house GF will have no option to do what I ask.  Otherwise i will never take the usfructs off her two farms.

I thought usefructs were 30yr terms.

51 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I thought usefructs were 30yr terms.

Usufructs are normally until you die but they could be written for a period of time .....but why would you........

Different to a lease.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

For me, 2 weeks from meeting to Amphur wedding ......... been together 13 years now.

Me too. She wasn't a bar girl (she worked in Tokyu department store on the information counter), which helps I suppose, although some marriages to bar girls do work long-term. A factor might have been that she was 30 and that is about the time that a girl in Thailand is considered too old by then to get married. We've now been married over 32 years. Sometimes I have to count to 10, occasionally to 100, but it's worked.

I visited an introduction agency. Do they still exist now? Anyway, I picked her out and we met for the first time on her birthday, which is pretty amazing. The person who ran the agency was a friend of hers and spouse claims she was just hanging around the office one day and had her photos taken for fun. Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter. The owner sorted out all the paperwork. I don't remember how much it was, and we married in the Bang Rak office.

Why so quick? I travelled pretty much full-time for work as a journalist and was actually in transit from New Zealand to the USA and had limited time before I needed to move on. She got a US visa at the second attempt (first time not as we weren't married, second time okay after marriage, and we were wished good luck) and off we went. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Suddenly out of the blue the girl seems to go a bit cold, tensions are in the air, she scowls more than she smiles, then an argument is engineered. You are introduced to the end of the long scam.

You lost the girl, your kid, your land, house car.... How many times have we read this???

Well, thank goodness that never happens in the Western World... a couple gets together, then divorces... 

Here it is a scam... in the West where it is usually much more costly, it is just every day life. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, thank goodness that never happens in the Western World... a couple gets together, then divorces... 

Here it is a scam... in the West where it is usually much more costly, it is just every day life. 

At least here, you had to give her the house, so your choice.

Back home a judge will hand your house to her.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

In the future if I want to sell this house GF will have no option but to do what I ask.  Otherwise i will never take the usfructs off her two farms.

Where abouts in thailand did you buy this house may i ask ??? WHich province