I Drink FINE Chinese Tea. NOT Red Dishwater w/Sugar-Milk!

My Fellow Lovers of Cha, Cha, CHA!

When I say fellow lovers-of-tea, I am not speaking to those who pollute this leafy-green beverage with secretions from cows, or the sugar of Cain, for sugar surely is the devil. Just listen to the bitter truth, as told by Dr. Robert Lustig if you are in any doubt:

So then,...

Sugar Bad

Chinese Tea Good

Black Tea is OK, but you gotta get it from China.

And NOBODY adds sugar to tea in China…because…

They would laugh you out of the country if you put the poison sucrose in their tea.

So what does the packaging of the Chinese tea I buy look like?

5txorSAnbdy5FFInJt7s_yjkYZ6rKXS7kZdqamMfplU07ULndYq1eqWedgH4DvYwSXoG6lIXni_A6mnQoOPlae4x_MW__3ecTzyiUnhFZ24MYHAAZGdYCttCj_KRQY-6Br2t3JZCL-mHukEIlUJm168

And how can you get this tea, too?  If you want to buy this tea, just order it online.

This tea is grown in the mountains of Sichuan.

The quality is VERY GOOD, and the price is GOOD for the quality they provide.

I usually order about 12  250-gram boxes.

And I buy it in the Spring of the Year.

So what Chinese tea do you buy?

Is Vietnamese tea as good?  IDK because I have never tasted Vietnamese tea, as far as I know.

I have never been to the tea plantations in Chiang Rai, but I want to go.

Still, I think that the Chiang Rai tea, from what I have tasted, may have been supplied by growers out of Taiwan, or so I have been told, and maybe mistakenly informed.

Also, HOW can you drink tea with milk, which is just secretions from the cow containing LACTOSE?!

And, why would you add sugar, as Lustig might ask?!

Don’t you even know HOW to drink tea?!

You are supposed to drink your tea with sweets, like cake, or sesame treats, or similar scrumptious items…

You Do NOT add the sugar DIRECTLY to your tea!!!

I could tell you a lot about how to drink tea in both China and Japan, but not in Vietnam.

I would add more here, but nobody on TV seems to enjoy a bore.

Well then,

Back to my tea drinking…

Gamma

Please Note:  Anything you wanna know about TEA, just ask ME…

ALSO: Believe me I DO know that there is some REALLY DYNAMITE tea being grown in Taiwan.  IF money were no option, I would buy nothing other than Taiwan-grown tea. That tea, some grades, you can add water up to 5 times, and you still got PLENTY of flavor.  AND...as I say...the good tea from Taiwan is just incomparable to that grown in China....   And you pay for it too.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are supposed to drink your tea with sweets, like cake, or sesame treats, or similar scrumptious items…

If a Brit munched on a cake every time they had a cuppa, they'd be the size of... well what a fair few of them are already. I think a spoon of sugar and a drop of milk is the lesser of two evils (I'm a Brit by the way) 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, alien365 said:

If a Brit munched on a cake every time they had a cuppa, they'd be the size of... well what a fair few of them are already. I think a spoon of sugar and a drop of milk is the lesser of two evils (I'm a Brit by the way) 

I, personally, do not enjoy sweets. I don't add sugar to my bread recipe. 

But, it's a hideous offence to add sugar directly to tea. 

That's like adding ketchup to Chinese roast duck, or even worse. 

Still, have your tea as you like it. 

You only live twice. 

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, alien365 said:

And where do you buy your recommended tea from? Google Lens doesn't find it.

Google is not very welcome in XI's China... 

But, OK, I will search for the factory info and post the contact information. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

26 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Does THIS information help you?

I have been buying this same tea for several years.

This is a photo of the back of two tea boxes from the same company, including the website of the company.

I will add more information in a following comment....

After I finish my cup of tea...

image.thumb.jpeg.88f4f9eb61909a551aa68671db68afc1.jpeg

This tea is only what I drink, but I am not saying it is right for you.

Buy what you like.

TEA2BOXESandINNERpack.pdf

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I, personally, do not enjoy sweets. I don't add sugar to my bread recipe. 

But, it's a hideous offence to add sugar directly to tea. 

That's like adding ketchup to Chinese roast duck, or even worse. 

Still, have your tea as you like it. 

You only live twice. 

I was just saying for the sake of the NHS, a spoon of sugar is better than a cake for others. I don't add milk or sugar either. Just like my coffee is always black (mostly medium roast) and whisky straight (or a few drops of water if it's cask strength). 

35 minutes ago, alien365 said:

This company has higher grade tea than the tea I buy from this company.

I like ICED TEA in Thailand.

So, I just buy the grade that is "good enough" for my iced tea.

The sales office is located in ChengDu, China, as you can see.

But you can also buy this tea ONLINE from the Online Marketing companies, such as TAOBAO, etc.....

image.png.168ab4b506851bd6ea29ebe73cd29f34.png

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way...

Just so that other tea drinkers here will NOT think I am a total NITWIT...

Of course, I do know and often use the idiom:  money is no object.

Why did I, this time, inadvertently add in the word 'option' instead of 'object' to this well-known idiom?

Well, then why do you add sugar to your tea, for that matter....

Sheer stupidity.

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This company has higher grade tea than the tea I buy from this company.

I like ICED TEA in Thailand.

So, I just buy the grade that is "good enough" for my iced tea.

The sales office is located in ChengDu, China, as you can see.

But you can also buy this tea ONLINE from the Online Marketing companies, such as TAOBAO, etc.....

image.png.168ab4b506851bd6ea29ebe73cd29f34.png

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tomorrow. I looked at the site from the other picture you posted. As with any drink, it's down to personal taste, but you only find out what you like by trying it. 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My Fellow Lovers of Cha, Cha, CHA!

When I say fellow lovers-of-tea, I am not speaking to those who pollute this leafy-green beverage with secretions from cows, or the sugar of Cain, for sugar surely is the devil. Just listen to the bitter truth, as told by Dr. Robert Lustig if you are in any doubt:

So then,...

Sugar Bad

Chinese Tea Good

Black Tea is OK, but you gotta get it from China.

And NOBODY adds sugar to tea in China…because…

They would laugh you out of the country if you put the poison sucrose in their tea.

So what does the packaging of the Chinese tea I buy look like?

5txorSAnbdy5FFInJt7s_yjkYZ6rKXS7kZdqamMfplU07ULndYq1eqWedgH4DvYwSXoG6lIXni_A6mnQoOPlae4x_MW__3ecTzyiUnhFZ24MYHAAZGdYCttCj_KRQY-6Br2t3JZCL-mHukEIlUJm168

And how can you get this tea, too?  If you want to buy this tea, just order it online.

This tea is grown in the mountains of Sichuan.

The quality is VERY GOOD, and the price is GOOD for the quality they provide.

I usually order about 12  250-gram boxes.

And I buy it in the Spring of the Year.

So what Chinese tea do you buy?

Is Vietnamese tea as good?  IDK because I have never tasted Vietnamese tea, as far as I know.

I have never been to the tea plantations in Chiang Rai, but I want to go.

Still, I think that the Chiang Rai tea, from what I have tasted, may have been supplied by growers out of Taiwan, or so I have been told, and maybe mistakenly informed.

Also, HOW can you drink tea with milk, which is just secretions from the cow containing LACTOSE?!

And, why would you add sugar, as Lustig might ask?!

I could tell you a lot about how to drink tea in both China and Japan, but not in Vietnam.

I would add more here, but nobody on TV seems to enjoy a bore.

Well then,

Back to my tea drinking…

Gamma

Please Note:  Anything you wanna know about TEA, just ask ME…

ALSO: Believe me I DO know that there is some REALLY DYNAMITE tea being grown in Taiwan.  IF money were no option, I would buy nothing other than Taiwan-grown tea. That tea, some grades, you can add water up to 5 times, and you still got PLENTY of flavor.  AND...as I say...the good tea from Taiwan is just incomparable to that grown in China....   And you pay for it too.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I agree for me fine Chinese tea is very tasty. 

But I'm not a strong black tea fan.

The photo you added is green tea,

I stayed many times at the Imperial New World hotel in Shanghai, an example of fine world class 5 star hotel service. Just around the corner was a Chinese tea market / mall with many excellent teas and always a tea ceremony tasting. 

29 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out tomorrow. I looked at the site from the other picture you posted. As with any drink, it's down to personal taste, but you only find out what you like by trying it. 

If I were buying really good tea, tea that is REALLY to my taste.. Then I would order from Taipei, and from shops located on HengYang Road...

For EXAMPLE:

image.png.7bb7802d4baad89629e2eb8747eabcf6.png

https://tw.mall.yahoo.com/search?m=list&sid=888tea&ccatid=40&path=40

image.png.f5883fc32eed1beb4bec624886644e32.png

If You are in Taipei...

Then feel free to just walk along HengYang Road...

Walk into any of the shops there...

They will make you a quick cup of tea from the hundreds of selections in the shops,

And then you can decide based on flavor, texture, etc., AND on PRICE...

Here in Thailand, it's far easier (and less expensive) to just order from China.

But the tea from Taiwan is the tea that I prefer.

Therefore, I am not saying that the tea I order, annually, is especially good compared to REALLY good tea.

It's only what I care to afford.

For this reason, and ONLY for this reason, I sometimes wish I were back on Formosa...

• Love It 1

Chinese tea is the best - BUT I still prefer green tea from Japan.  Absolutely positively do not add milk or sugar to any of em!

Tea grown near Chiang Rai was somewhat floral, at least the ones I sampled at Choui Fong.  Check it out if you can.

Chinese red tea (i.e. black tea to westerners) grown in Yunnan province is spectacular. Easily get 10 gai wan pours from 5 gr of tea with certain types.  Aged pu'er very tasty too.

Vietnam grows tea, in the northwest I believe.  In Hanoi I was buying the local version of Earl Grey.  Very good and a fraction of the price of imported Twinings.

Also quality teas grown in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh from what I've sampled.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I have been drinking the same old green tea from Sichuan for the past five years. I am so used to it now that I can’t even say for sure how good it is, probably.

So, in February 2024, I plan to switch from Sichuan green tea, to Taiwan TieGuanYin tea.

I really like TieGuanYin, and I think you might like to sample some if you can find the good stuff:

bQHTXuGktLQZZL4cXZpIs8aAxx9UKJECditGzJ37EMZyMDzHhEBkqfHpatQOvV6YsFKSB6j1eEIiRg1myt4WuaSLhAwl_0iLYBBqefnEvHuHHx17X61mc1MQ-12VFbTZe830cUvGP7cjvthTLr1uhis

tNNn13HUdqfcT0cIMjTGsC_O32_0oAYVkcnY2HIvMPUCpKlmONw_fUWgwmoQH6Jv9z6gHeJG25pY2yPo-6NE4vZ4itKXdcTWyl606kiTMPBVNeSI13icCoLMkTDsxuiChESoZ0d0AUKfqbDyos66JAc

w6xaTcLeAQk9ZINd4CvPpVFgVJmriXBtWesmMnBkZB4jej3YXrXWv7JMZHTkO6nz3W-z6NPc7s1oEN5kcapA1iBHkST8sii4YE23eJrMZEHAlcNtCiHUNxYIWDwFWjIn5Kb16y3rW26EVepzklBmPcU

i8BeNR5sGzDWowWl3eiz-jzW23Vvvd16dAsPVPov91t5vnaJ8t89lSBb0K51pgMqA2-Fo_ROY_fnxozoZV_RT6TXm5FW4IT_22Q8ggOAs5EJDXdIVF_qCRirnE0OxlfvGK-DuowsgYd2dVCP5G9q63Y

yQKCVQH_fDf6Yq455vmlMZcHfZxP8_HrR-NlgHUjrbOU4gavbsX25plB62_RJrC-7NTlohb7vLaFjj7JCa42bmEYak_qknJa2uoAccbfRyw8a6wExaOBeOZtZzv3scf9fPBlfmWxwCPZleWa0TuO0Vg

I know that some here think, just as the Mainlanders think, that tea from China is somehow better than tea from Taiwan…but this, IMHO, is wrong. A lot of good things were ruined under the commies, after the revolution in 1949. And I believe that Taiwan still has the edge over China when it comes to the best Chinese tea…(feel free to disagree).

So then, my tea buying strategy for TieGuanYin tea to last from Spring 2024 through Spring 2025 will be to contact this store 全祥茶莊 in Taipei…in business for over 100 years.

Here is a video of the store, and the owner who talks about his father and his father’s tea store (sorry but it's in Chinese, yet at least you can see the inside of the business):

This store also has an online store on Shopee, and so it would be simple to buy the many tea stuff listed on their Shopee storefront…

https://shopee.tw/chuanshangteastore#product_list

Here is a writeup in Traditional Chinese about this shop, but I am sure that Google can translate this writeup if anyone might be interested.. https://saliha.pixnet.net/blog/post/563038286

If I were in Taipei, I would definitely go to this shop and drink a few cups of different teas.

Anyway, if you just want to order some TieGuanYin from this store through Shopee, then here is the link to the Shopee page for TieGuanYin from this particular tea merchant on HengYang Road, and I must have walked past this store a hundred times on that road since 1979:

https://shopee.tw/全祥茶莊-30年老茶-鐵觀音(每兩400元)-i.299006288.7348882746?sp_atk=f25268a3-0a99-453d-9ce4-27dc1d36d3aa&xptdk=f25268a3-0a99-453d-9ce4-27dc1d36d3aa

Obviously, just login to Shopee, and then switch to English on this page:

aohgRXhZezF8UH8YMC6BB4Bb5QMSag0UM3eY6amKaJ7n__NNbIo7PvmCsxSjLAQ3bbPdD6HPzDnHALppvyh_CFY9UO40mpLdjNZjx4j-Vr8VZCGmPcGb7muzgIpM243PSyVRFXy6pu0ajOo-1lBw4Fk

So anyway, when I stated that I drink “FINE Chinese Tea”, I sometimes do, but not often enough, and just too rarely. This shop has the good stuff…

What's the price?

Two Ounces is NTD800.00

This stuff is 30-years-old tea, or so it says.

And I believe it.

Great Tea Shop, I think.

I will order next year.

But I won't be making Iced Tea with the good stuff.

And, I will order cheaper Taiwan tea from this shop, for my Iced Tea...

(Hope I'm not boring anybody with all this talk about tea....)

image.png

• Love It 1

Ceylon Silver tip white tea is the standard to beat.
i prefer my tea without pesticides.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If it doesn't come from Ceylon, I won't drink it!

i used to fly to LK and fill up my suitcase each trip
ok there for visa renewal too in Colombo
but you need to stay a few days which is fine for a little holiday, trip to the plantations etc.

Edited by patman30
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

pollute this leafy-green beverage with secretions from cows

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this.

A highly bitter leafy green beverage is no match for an Indian Chai, which contains milk, sugar, and spices. In other words, everything nices. 

(And there are sugar substitutes which exist)

Anyone who prefers a bitter and bland tasting green tea has probably brainwashed themelves to like it and there is some snobbery involved because you're following age old traditions.

To summarize, plain green tea tastes like crap compared to Indian Chai. 

And should only be drank if nothing else is available, as far as I'm concerned.

Or even better, never. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

If it doesn't come from Yorkshire, I won't drink it.

"Yorkshire Tea uses varieties of tea grown in India, Sri Lanka, and Kenya"

I always drink Typhoo tea, not from any preference (black teas taste all the same to me) but because it is readily available in Thailand for 100bht/100 bags.

If Yorkshire Tea was cheaper, I'd happily buy that.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Nothing wrong with a nice cup of Earl Grey bergamot tea

Yuk, I would rather drink Brut After Shave. 555

At a friends last weekend, and he offered me Lady Grey tea. Awful. (For me anyway) a Yorkshire tea drinker.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

A highly bitter leafy green beverage is no match for an Indian Chai, which contains milk, sugar, and spices. In other words, everything nices. 

Anyone who prefers a bitter and bland tasting green tea has probably brainwashed themelves to like it and there is some snobbery involved because you're following age old traditions.

Or even better, never. 

Can’t disagree more. I can’t imagine adding milk or sugar to tea. Too many things now add sugar and other things to take away from the essence of what the thing is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

English style tea is the only kind I like with milk and a half a sugar. They called it Builder's Tea.

Hagan Daz used to have an English Tea Ice Cream, so perfect. I'll still have a green tea ice cream if I'm in a fancy Japanese place. Earl Grey ice cream is rare, but lovely too.

I'm surprised that tea-ice cream isn't a bigger thing over here, as a logical extension of bubble tea.

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Or even better, never. 

Good Chinese tea, and tea tasting, is sort of like Fine Wine, and wine tasting.

One really can't taste the tea after adding anything to it.

Or, what about a WINE COOLER, for that matter?

I would happily invite you to HengYang Road in Taipei..to taste the many different teas, and to learn how to discriminate the subtleties of great tea grown in the high mountains of Taiwan.

image.png.9deef44132196b3010d079315723eb44.png

image.png.63e02bf5af352ec2ed4b6701d7091db2.png

Is a bottle of Wine Cooler wine?

Is tea with milk and sugar tea?

And, why the need to ask such a ridiculous question?

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1