PM to look into extending tourist visas to 90 days

webfact

Just now, alex8912 said:

I told 2 people wrong only. There is nothing to go for. I asked you about " "genuine" what the heck is a " genuine tourist" who in the world could really define that. Spare me google. A 90 day tourist is more common than you must feel or think. Just read these posts and just meet people in Thailand. It's amazing how many people from 21 to 81 are coming to or wanting to come to Thailand for 90 + days. You can't possibly live in BKK or Phuket or Hua Hin or Samui or several other places and not know this. I have no idea what a genuine tourist is in Naka Nowhere. This wanting to stay somewhere else than your own country for 90 + days as a tourist happens all over the States , Australia, Southern Europe , Central/ South America etc. it's a new world. Why is there even a METV? 

OK, you don't understand the "genuine" tourist bit, that's OK, but I do...????

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Are you saying they are changing the foreigner visas AGAIN ?

Haha, never seen a country tinker with these rules so much in my life.

Well thought-out stable rules are what is needed - not this endless flip-flop.

Edited by freedomnow

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

You are correct as the UK e-visa system says you must have £10,000 in your bank. I think this is a typo but as you say it puts ppl off 

<snip>

Reread that thread which is still very much active - people are still trying to work out whether it's a scam and who's responsible

Edited by VBF

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The Visa agents and Immigration officials  (and a certain bank) won't like losing a part their income. 

As for the cert. O R just make an official charge for it, not the unofficial one. could easily do away with the 90day report even, say after having one year extensions for 3-5 years.

This guy just somehow manoeuvred himself around the popular vote into the Prime Minister position - he's not going to care one bit what his underlings over at immigration think and he's not going to consider what visa agents think for a second.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If he is serious, then do away with lots of rubbish within the immigration kingdom. 

A tourist hardly stays longer than 45 day on a vacation, hence a 45 days period would be more than enough to allow X countries to arrive without a visa. All others, so defined by the government, would continues to need a visa. 

Do away with the "only two overland border crossings per year". I am aware, that this killed a thriving trade of border runners in the hundreds of thousands. Take 500'000 border runners with an average monthly spending of THB 20'000 result in 120 billion (not million) Thai Baht. 

I cross overland twice a month (will all the necessary paperwork) and still fill in a TM6 each and every time. Arriving by air as well as all Thais are no longer obliged to do a TM6. The confusion with immigration officers when I present my TM6 is amazing. 

Tell your banking system to allow tourists to have bank accounts. They park their holiday money there, withdraw it whenever and wherever they need cash and, as they cannot use overdraft facilities, would be a more than welcome addition to the product of Thai tourism. 

Get rid of the two-tier pricing policy, presently officially sanctioned even by the tourism authority of Thailand. If Thai tourists would be treated the same way round, everybody would cry "foul". 

Promote domestic tourism by non-Thais; do away with all that TM30 nonsense. 65% of Thai people do NOT live at their registered address, so why breathe down on the alien necks; is Thailand afraid of all those non-Thais or is it pure demonstration of who-is-who-on-the-Thai-banana-boat? 

• Confused 1

why not let tourist open a bank account instead of the nonsense you need a work permit, recently my daughter had the idea of opening a account so she could transfer an amount every month for when the next time she comes she already has her spending money saved up, when i told her about having a W/P she didn't believe me, ok you go to the bank tomorrow and see what they say, this is Thailand and they like their rules, ok no worries I will open one for you, 

Abolish that TM 30 just madness even most Thais I know think it's stupid 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

This guy just somehow manoeuvred himself around the popular vote into the Prime Minister position - he's not going to care one bit what his underlings over at immigration think and he's not going to consider what visa agents think for a second.

GOOD>

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The new E visa for Vietnam takes a few days to process and deliver.

E visa from Thailand takes more then a month depending on your location and can even take more for no valid reason.

My Laos E-Visa took 3 days, gives up to 60 days stay............ :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How many people do you know that take more than a 30 day vacation at a time? I'd say that 30 days is more than enough for all but a tiny, tiny percentage of people. Those who are wealthy and have more time on their hands choose far better places than Thailand with its many shortcomings to spend their time and money. I doubt that Thailand is on many rich people's list of places to spend months at a time.

Snowbirds like myself would appreciate a 90 day Visa - Exempt entry.  Why is he saying a Visa 30 days?  A tourist Visa is valid 60 days. 30 days is Visa Exempt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The new E visa for Vietnam takes a few days to process and deliver.

E visa from Thailand takes more then a month depending on your location and can even take more for no valid reason.

France is also hit or miss.  E Visa a huge problem here. Hence the many Visa Exempt entries.

52 minutes ago, geisha said:

Snowbirds like myself would appreciate a 90 day Visa - Exempt entry.  Why is he saying a Visa 30 days?  A tourist Visa is valid 60 days. 30 days is Visa Exempt.

The visa system here is complicated enough to confuse many. Most, for example, call marriage extensions a visa. It isn't. As for snowbirds, I've learned from this thread that there are many. Interesting. My eyes have been opened.

• Like 1

I think 90 day visas are a good idea. But at the same time, then should be backed by a system which only allows two in a given year to stop the abuse of people just living here. That would also provide certainty, and wouldn't prevent anyone obtaining another visa at an embassy for multiple entries for genuine reasons.

It might open up more reciprocity with other countries and Thai passport holder visa requirements.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

why not let tourist open a bank account instead of the nonsense you need a work permit,

Bank KYC. Thailand would become an even bigger target for money laundering.

Why does Thailand always complicate things?  Make it easy for tourists or snowbirds to enter and stay in your country and the the county will generate income.  As an American, I have visited the following counties and received 90 days visa on arrival:  Malaysia, Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.  In Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia you can extend another 90 days past the original 90 days, but it must be done with immigration, for an additional nominal cost.  I know Americans here in Medellin, Colombia that come live and work here in the winter for 180 days and then they must leave Colombia for 180 days and thus return to USA.  Many people work online so they don't need to always live in a particular country, thus they can move around.  The retired snowbirds can also benefit from living in their counties in the winter and in Thailand for 180 days.  To me, it's a no-brainer, but for Thais, it seems a little complicated and difficult.  Make it easy Thailand!

Edited by americanfarang
spelling
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulation sir! Very nice step forward and it will be better tourist to have the right to open Bank account in Thailand when the money is trasfered from customer IBAN to Bank IBAN. Eurocommission have sign a directive since two weeks ago but the problem is than some countries have 16 digit IBAN and some others 20  -24 digits and the problems is mercahnts sites. One more time C.o.n.g.r.a.t.u.l.a.t.i.o.n and we wish you every success in your term!

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, americanfarang said:

Why does Thailand always complicate things?  Make it easy for tourists or snowbirds to enter and stay in your country and the the county will generate income.  As an American, I have visited the following counties and received 90 days visa on arrival:  Malaysia, Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.  In Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia you can extend another 90 days past the original 90 days, but it must be done with immigration, for an additional nominal cost.  I know Americans here in Medellin, Colombia that come live and work here in the winter for 180 days and then they must leave Colombia for 180 days and thus return to USA.  Many people work online so they don't need to always live in a particular country, thus they can move around.  The retired snowbirds can also benefit from living in their counties in the winter and in Thailand for 180 days.  To me, it's a no-brainer, but for Thais, it seems a little complicated and difficult.  Make it easy Thailand!

To be fair - Thailand Is a lot more of an attractive destination than those other countries..... for many reasons.

Lowish crime, Cheapish prices, More developed than western countries in some aspects like Wifi, Great Food.

If they made that easy for any tourist to stay up to 180 days visa free - Thailand hotspots would probably be overrun by millions of tourists, long stay expats, and systems probably couldn't cope. That is why they need some sort of time limiting measures for tourists. 

2 hours ago, americanfarang said:

How about your country? Does it allow 180 day visas for people from south and central America??? If so why the border walls and armed patrols? 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

why not let tourist open a bank account instead of the nonsense you need a work permit, recently my daughter had the idea of opening a account so she could transfer an amount every month for when the next time she comes she already has her spending money saved up, when i told her about having a W/P she didn't believe me, ok you go to the bank tomorrow and see what they say, this is Thailand and they like their rules, ok no worries I will open one for you, 

Abolish that TM 30 just madness even most Thais I know think it's stupid 

It’s already possible without a work permit (only tourist visa). The issue is that different banks have different rules and nothing is universal. It is a headache. Tell her to save hassle and hire an agent for 3500-5000 baht depending on where you are.

19 hours ago, nickmondo said:

wont happen.

will lose all the 1,900 they charge for extensions

The simple solution is to charge 1900 for 60 days or 3800 for 90 days. For most it isn’t about the money but the hassle of having to going to immigration to file an extension.

20 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

be a better idea to scarp 90day  reporting for retirement visa 

So many mention this, yet the report is 2 minutes effort on a laptop.....I would like to see the retirement extension requirements simplified for those who have lived here on one for 5+ years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

It’s already possible without a work permit (only tourist visa). The issue is that different banks have different rules and nothing is universal. It is a headache. Tell her to save hassle and hire an agent for 3500-5000 baht depending on where you are.

I just opened one for her in my name, 

I have a different slant on this. Firstly they have already tried increasing the VE from 30 days to 45 days and decided to revert back to 30 days. Maybe they discovered that there was no significant increase in VE arrivals so why did they not leave it at 45 days?. There could have been a situation that 50 % of 30 day VE entries extend their stay by 30 days at a cost of 1900 baht but 45 day entries only 10% extended. Secondly who will make up for the loss of revenue that will occur from less visas been issued. I am sure the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will not be happy. Just take one consulate as an example, 200 visa applications day three days a week at average 2000 baht a pop is 1,200,000 baht/week. Also, can't see immigration sitting back while their income is slashed.