Blood sample tubes sold as sweets by Thai school kids, sparking outcry

webfact

image.jpeg

A startling revelation has come to light regarding mysterious tubes filled with pink liquid being sold to primary school children as sweets at a shop near their school. The tubes are in fact used for collecting blood samples in hospitals. This alarming situation was brought to attention by parents on the Facebook group ‘Don Chedi.’

Following this, a renowned medical technician, Parkphum Dethusdin, took to his Facebook page ‘Doctor Lab Panda’ to explain the gravity of the situation.

In the original post by the concerned parents, they sought clarification about the nature of these tubes, which their children claimed were sweets. One of the parents mentioned that after inquiring about the origin of these tubes, they were carefully packed up and disposed of by a teacher. A photograph of the blood sample tubes was also shared.

Upon seeing this post, Parkphum felt compelled to clarify what these tubes were. “This is a blood sample tube,” he elaborated, “When we go to the hospital for blood tests, they use tubes of various colours.

by Samantha Rose

Illustration: Blood sample tubes, anna/pixabay

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-school-kids-sold-hospital-blood-sample-tubes-as-sweets-parental-outcry-sparks-investigation-2

-- The Thaiger 2023-08-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bbko said:

I hope they at least washed out the glass vials, some of them contain anticoagulants to prevent the blood from clotting. 

As far as marketing the sweets, I've seen worse as a kid, anyone here remember those candy cigarettes that blew "smoke" (powered sugar)?

image.jpeg.6cf8d63f5ae10ff58b9c42721a565acc.jpeg

Yes, As a child I used to enjoy a couple of them while watching "The Black and White Minstrel Show".

“The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there,”

"The Go-Between",  E M Forster

On 8/30/2023 at 8:31 AM, impulse said:

What's the big deal?  They're glass tubes with caps. 

I used to go down to a packaging store in Chinatown and buy similar (but not exact) vials to make into novelty oil samples for when our home office people would come to visit.  They'd come by my office and take back with them a nicely labeled sample of the oil we produced offshore.  So popular, I had to make several batches.

I suspect the novelty and "bad boy" appeal of these vials is one reason they'd be real popular to hold sweets.  But they didn't serve my purpose because I needed something to stand upright on a shelf.  If they do investigate, I hope it's just to make sure they're not filched from the medical waste bin of a hospital. (Or, God forbid, and STD clinic)

I think it's a bit different when they're sold to children.

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

Go to Amazon and search "candy vials"

Ok, I've done that. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. You seemed to be giving what you had to adults, plus yours were obviously new, clean, not for blood samples and not given to children to eat.

Edited by kimamey