ATTA doubts efficacy of free visa plan for Chinese tourists

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Federation of Thai Tourism Associations and the Tourism Authority of Thailand are currently preparing a white paper to present to the premier and cabinet, detailing urgent issues, such as enhancing tourist attraction and reinforcing Thailand’s image as a safe travel destination

So sort out your back yard before beefing about free visas.

You've been taking the money for decades and put sod-all back in.

China is tired of the same old Thailand, even after Covid you've added nothing new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. The e-cigarette ban appears to be aimed only against tourists as there are many Thais using them in plain site, especially at night club venues frequented mostly by Thais. Or maybe it's just another law that isn't enforced 99% of the time....

It’s all down to the ability to pay. Why go chasing locals that would get a maximum 500B fine when you can shake down tourists for 30000B?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Association of Thai Travel Agents (Atta) has expressed scepticism about a government proposal to offer free visas to Chinese tourists as a means of stimulating demand.

A sad state of affairs when the media muddy the waters.

This statement appeared in one article

"He also said, however, that the proposal from some tourism business operators for the government to exempt entry visas for tourists from China, India and Russia is a different issue, which has security implications and has to be considered carefully."

And then this in another.

"Thailand’s new government is looking to ease visa rules for, initially, Chinese and Indian tourists as PM Strettha Thavisin seeks to boost tourism revenue to 3.3 trillion baht in 2024."

Maybe one day we will find out what is actually on the table.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, positivevibes said:

These visa rules for Chinese travelers are not made by TAT or the Government here. This is from Beijing. They don't want to make it easy for the Chinese people to travel anywhere abroad.

The golden days of mass Chinese tourism to this country are over.

While I would never support the CCP, these rules do make life here a lot more pleasant for the rest of us.

My worst nightmare:

"use visa-on-arrival, including groups of 100 to 1,000 travellers."

I don't want to even imagine seeing that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct, Thailand should focus on quality tourism - quality over quantity. 

The visa-free country should get 45 days instead of 30 - covers 90+ % of all travelers in that group. The group of those countries requiring visas will not change. 

Immigration to be massively lightened by all this unnecessary burden of bureaucracy, forms, blue-inked photocopies, photographs etc. etc. etc. 

Do away with TM6 (only applicable now for overland arrivals), hence of no statistical value any longer as the majority arrives by air. 

Do away with TM30 as more than half the Thais do NOT live at their registered address (see bureaucracy as well). 

Do away with the 90 days nonsense, it gives Thailand and East German STASI taste - to say the least! 

Ultimately, train all immigration officers in English to a conversational level - it is scary how poor their English can be! 

• Like 2

Correct, Thailand should focus on quality tourism - quality over quantity. 

The visa-free country should get 45 days instead of 30 - covers 90+ % of all travelers in that group. The group of those countries requiring visas will not change. 

Immigration to be massively lightened by all this unnecessary burden of bureaucracy, forms, blue-inked photocopies, photographs etc. etc. etc. 

Do away with TM6 (only applicable now for overland arrivals), hence of no statistical value any longer as the majority arrives by air. 

Do away with TM30 as more than half the Thais do NOT live at their registered address (see bureaucracy as well). 

Do away with the 90 days nonsense, it gives Thailand and East German STASI taste - to say the least! 

Ultimately, train all immigration officers in English to a conversational level - it is scary how poor their English can be! 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, ikke1959 said:

free visa is not the reason, restrictions on alcohol, dual pricing, expensive THB, criminals against tourists, e cigarettes ban, police hunting for foreigners etc etc are making Thailand not attractive anymore for tourists,  

Thailand is pretty liberal wrt alcohol, and I do not see it inhibiting anyone, particularly Chinese...

THB is  cheaper than it was 5 years ago v USD.

E Cigarettes are of concern to few.

Police hunting foreigners, heck most complain police are inept here. 

Just a poor economic climate, high flight prices, and more alternatives ... 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand is pretty liberal wrt alcohol, and I do not see it inhibiting anyone, particularly Chinese...

THB is  cheaper than it was 5 years ago v USD.

E Cigarettes are of concern to few.

Police hunting foreigners, heck most complain police are inept here. 

Just a poor economic climate, high flight prices, and more alternatives ... 

It is not just one but the adding up......Tourists want to relax and enjoy and in Thailand there too many rules especially for foreigners... simple example no helmets or riding at the wrong side of the road..We have read several times already that foreigners have to pay a high fine while the locals don't .. Same for e-cigarettes and the alcohol sales hours ....too stupid for words.. If I am on holiday and it is hot I want to drink a can of beer at 15.00 It is impossible in Thailand if you are a tourist while in other countries there are not such a laws.. adding things up makes Thailand not interesting anymore and that has nothing to do with a visa

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

We have read several times already that foreigners have to pay a high fine while the locals don't .. Same for e-cigarettes and the alcohol sales hours ....too stupid for words.. If I am on holiday and it is hot I want to drink a can of beer at 15.00 It is impossible in Thailand if you are a tourist while in other countries there are not such a laws.. adding things up makes Thailand not interesting anymore and that has nothing to do with a visa

Edited 12 hours ago by ikke1959

I think you are just venting. Tourists getting fined for various infringements rather than locals is what it is... don't break the rules and no problem..... do you believe they should rescind say the helmet law and sacrifice lives? E-cigarettes, give them up, get some willpower. man up, and smoke a proper fag! :laugh: No problem getting a beer at 3pm in Pattaya I assure you, on the beach even. I kind of agree afternoon alcohol sales being restricted in supermarkets and 7-11s is probably not suitable for say Pattaya /Phuket tourist zones.... but just pop in a bar. 

I think Thailand is still a good tourist destination.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think you are just venting. Tourists getting fined for various infringements rather than locals is what it is... don't break the rules and no problem..... do you believe they should rescind say the helmet law and sacrifice lives? E-cigarettes, give them up, get some willpower. man up, and smoke a proper fag! :laugh: No problem getting a beer at 3pm in Pattaya I assure you, on the beach even. I kind of agree afternoon alcohol sales being restricted in supermarkets and 7-11s is probably not suitable for say Pattaya /Phuket tourist zones.... but just pop in a bar. 

I think Thailand is still a good tourist destination.

Ok your opinion.. but I know that several friends have gone to Vietnam or closer at home because the situation in Thailand, about treating foreigners and restrictions...And if I know several people probably there will be more  and that makes a lot.. Living in Thailand is different than a tourist who comes for a few weeks and read the stories of other tourists with negative experiences...Don't forget that

• Like 1